Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Fantasy/Sci-Fi Books Thread Book • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by The Lucky Moose, Oct 30, 2016.

1. GBlades

Trusted

I posted this in r/brandonsanderson but wanna know your comments to so...:

When I started my Cosmere collection, I was introducted to Mistborn Era. These were in paperback form and I flew through them. Way of Kings and Words of Radiance, Elantric & Warbreaker were the same and looking at them all together was a sight.
    Cut to Oathbringer and it just looks to bulky next to the rest of collection, even the hardback is a standout. What do you guys normally go for?? Paperback, hardback, audiobook?
    Main reason is; i'm thinking of having an all-hardback collection but that would mean a major switch.
    Skyward and Edgedancer look absolutely beautiful as hardbacks, though.

2. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I like having paperbacks to just throw in my bag but most importantly I like all of a series to match if at all possible. Generally if possible if I'm buying an ongoing series I go for getting every book in hardback so each new volume will match and for completed series I go for all paperback because of price/space issues. For the Sanderson example, I have Elantris/Warbreaker/Mistborn all in paperback but all of Stormlight in hardcover. Having Mistborn 7 in hardcover when the rest of Era 2 is in paperback is going to bother me a lot haha

GBlades likes this.
  3. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I'm starting this now. I love the detailed maps. A nice treat after having no official ones for Black Company or the Witcher.

4. yeknom

CEO/Shelob Supporter

Nice! let me know what you think as you get through it. It's heavy, and you may have to plow through bits, but it pays off.

5. yeknom

CEO/Shelob Supporter

I did forget to mention this before, and i think you are reading it; but this series needs to be read as opposed to listened to in audiobook format.

6. Vivatoto

Oh yeah, I can't do audiobooks. I'm already regretting getting it on Kindle since that makes the appendices annoying but I found everything I need online. I'm at the first encounter with the Nonman and already very into it.

Edit: lol, 2 pages later and it ends up that was just the prologue.

7. tucah

not champ Prestigious

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  8. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Besides Wheel of Time, which I'm on book 2, I have the following lined up:

- The Dark Tower - need to reread The Wastelands and continue from there
    - Game of Thrones
    - The Black Company
    - Old Man's War
    - The Black Tides of Heaven

The latter 3 are from the Tor eBook club, which is neat

theagentcoma and Garrett L. like this.
  9. ChaseTx

I think I'm gonna buy A Wizard of Earthsea. It's $3 on Kindle and maybe my daughter can read it too

theagentcoma and GBlades like this.
  10. GBlades

Trusted

Have you read it before? It was my first fantasy book and the fact it was so short yet detailed was fantastic. I think I'll branch out and get the illustrated version shortly .

coleslawed likes this.
  11. ChaseTx

No I haven't. I'm not super well read hahaha

GBlades likes this.
  12. GBlades

Trusted

Good place to start though, one of the shortest books I've ever read haha .

ChaseTx likes this.
  13. ChaseTx

Seems like the majority of books I do read are 500 pages minimum so that'll be nice

14. tucah

not champ Prestigious

there's always a nice sigh of relief when i start a book that's under like 400 pages

ChaseTx and Garrett L. like this.
  15. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Anyone read any Michael J. Sullivan?

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  16. yeknom

CEO/Shelob Supporter

haha. yeah, a large part of the first half is world building, but it pays off.

17. Vivatoto

I finished the first book. It was really good. I planned on jumping straight into the sequel and powering through the trilogy but I decided I'd finally read the second book in the Dandelion Dynasty series first since I read the first book before Malazan derailed everything. I'm a huge fan of world building and I really enjoyed the way the failure of the Vulgar Holy War was told at a distance. It's making me really excited to follow the real Holy War.

18. The Lucky Moose Dec 2, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 2, 2018)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Ryiria is one of my favorite series, especially including the Ryiria prequels. Tell me if you need advice regarding where to start.

19. The Lucky Moose

I’m currently reading the new book in the Cycle of Galand series, which is a direct sequel series to the Cycle of Arawn. Both are amazing. The first Arawn book is written a little differently from the rest, and it’s definitely worse than the rest because of it, but overall the two series are so good, especially combined. Two more books are still coming.

20. Garrett

30588EA0-8655-4658-8983-8553741BA433.png

These are the ones I’ve picked up in random Audible sales.

21. The Lucky Moose

I see. That’s a bit messy. There are basically three series, all in the same universe, two of them focusing on the same characters (“main” and prequel series), and one of in the distant past. You have some of all three.

22. Garrett

Yeah. I knew there were three series. I think I remembered that Chronicles was first? Am I wrong and it’s actually Revelations?

23. The Lucky Moose

The Riyria Chronicles - Wikipedia

I’d probably recommend reading the main series first, then the prequels, then the rest. So you start with Theft of Swords, which you have.

The list in the link shows the prequels and the main series. The last prequel so far is Drumindor. The distand past one is more seperate. You also have one of those.

You can also start with the prequels though. You have the first one, Crown Tower. The prequels are slightly more standalone by the way, and very good, but given that I started with the main series I can’t be sure that starting with the prequels works as well as it theoretically could.

@Garrett L.

Garrett L. likes this.
  24. GBlades

Trusted

Anyone have any fantasy/sci fi webcomics that they keep up with? Looking to start something after recently catching up with Broodhollow then realising it might not be coming back....

25. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Finally finished Mistborn, it's sad how long it took me to finish it. Picked it up the other day and powered through the final 200 or so pages. I'm trying to get into writing my own stuff and honestly having something to read at the same time sparks my creativity. So I'm back to devouring fantasy stuff again for the sake of my own creation! Well of Ascension already starts out great!

GBlades, Fletchaaa and Garrett L. like this.