Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Fantasy/Sci-Fi Books Thread Book • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by The Lucky Moose, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Any thoughts on Brent Weeks? Need a new fantasy series after Malazan, I'm about 30% of the way through Way of Shadows and not super enthralled, but coming off of Malazan my expectations are through the roof. I know that I'm going to try Abercrombie and Glen Cook too, but I'm expecting to like those more so I figured I'd throw in a wild card first.

I also might pause to read Sanderson's new book if it doesn't start picking up.

2. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I tried Weeks long before I finished Malazan, and even then it seemed kinda meh. Some of the characters are interesting but it felt like fluff tbh. I also distinctly remember there being a bunch of typos and printing errors, but that's something else.

Vivatoto likes this.
  3. Vivatoto

It's getting a little better now that the main character (who I don't much like) has gotten older and they're starting to talk about magic more. I do rather enjoy the world thus far. It's mostly the main characters who aren't doing much for me.

theagentcoma likes this.
  4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I started Skyward today join me

GBlades and Vivatoto like this.
  5. Vivatoto

Looking forward to it.

6. tucah

not champ Prestigious

i read way of shadows years ago and could not tell you a thing about it except that i did not enjoy it at all

might join you guys on the skyward train (never dipped into his YA stuff) as i also continue on WoT

7. GBlades

Trusted

8. Vivatoto

Really worried that everything is just going to straight up suck for awhile after having read Malazan. I lucked out with having a Hyperion Cantos book left to read right after, but besides that nothing is doing it for me.

theagentcoma likes this.
  9. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Have you heard of a little series called A Song of Ice and Fire? You should try that! Jokes aside, have you read The Three Body Problem?

theagentcoma and Vivatoto like this.
  10. Vivatoto

I actually thought about starting that today, but I've got Skyward coming in the mail today and wanted something lighter so that I'd be able to start that tomorrow. It's probably the next thing I'll try. I'm making the mistake of reading things too similar to Malazan I think.

11. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

It's what ruined Kingkiller Chronicles for me. Just felt so boring.

Maybe try Glen Cook's Black Company series? It's definitely a precursor to Malazan in that it has that gritty squad-based narrative.

Vivatoto likes this.
  12. Vivatoto

I did Kingkiller pretty early in my fantasy reading, I think right after I got into Martin and Sanderson.

Lol, funny enough my post was literally about the first Black Company book. Sort of like early Malazan but I haven't connected with the characters and I haven't seen any of this grittiness I keep hearing about.

Definitely curious how much of it is just me not being over Malazan yet though, also every single word of Erickson's prose was pure gold starting with Toll the Hounds so I miss that.

theagentcoma likes this.
  13. GBlades

Trusted

Whilst Skyward isn't as epic as SA, you can tell Sanderson is at the top of his game. If I had the time id probably read this front to back in a night .

14. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Don't start ASoIaF, the author is never going to finish it lmao

15. Vivatoto

2 pages into Skyward and the main character has a stuffed bear named Bloodletter and I'm like, okay this is how you make me immediately love a character.

16. GBlades

Trusted

Skyward is such an easy read. With characters like M-Bot and Doomslug later, you can see that Sanderson has a knack for writing fun characters.

Vivatoto likes this.
  17. yeknom

CEO/Shelob Supporter

have you ever read R. SCott Bakkers series? it's really dark, but it's like stephen king meets fantasy meets, uh, really well written depression. it's good.

Vivatoto likes this.
  18. Vivatoto

Ooh, he sounds great. I remember Goodreads recommending him to me constantly when I was reading Malazan but never looked into it. Thanks, I'm definitely going to check him out.

19. yeknom

CEO/Shelob Supporter

please do. i just want someone else to read it so i can discuss it. And through my hours of lurking i've noticed we have similar tastes (i.e. i've read everything stephen king has put out, and i don't care that he can't land an ending ((usually)).

Vivatoto likes this.
  20. GBlades

Trusted

Not sure where else to ask this... Has anyone ever ordered from Badali Jewellery or can recommend an alternative? I'm looking for the Bridge Four Medallion or Wheel of Time logo necklace on there and they seem decent enough. I'd like to see some collectable pieces of memorabilia or jewellery my fellow fantasy book lovers may own.

21. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Box Lunch has the Lothlorien pin right now for $100 and I’m trying VERY HARD to not buy it.

Would also be interested in the WoT or B4 one.

coleslawed likes this.
  22. GBlades

Trusted

Internation shipping to the UK can be hit or miss. The Bridge 4 one looks awesome.

23. Vivatoto

I adored Skyward. Spensa might be my favorite Sanderson character

24. GBlades

Trusted

It was such an easy read but the reveals at the end make me wish the second book was out already.

That being said, I'm now going my full Wheel of Time read. Started Eye of the World yesterday.

Garrett L. and The Lucky Moose like this.
  25. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Skyward was really good, I should go back to his other YA work. Sanderson is just on such a fantastic run right now, especially for an author who works so quickly. IMO his only real misstep in the last handful of years was Mistborn 4, and it's still solid just a bit too much setup and well worth it with how good the two follow ups were. I can't wait for the remaining Skyward books (and Mistborn 7/Stormlight 4/Wandersail, of course).

Is it now time for me to actually read The Great Hunt? Maybe!

GBlades and The Lucky Moose like this.