Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Fantasy/Sci-Fi Books Thread Book • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by The Lucky Moose, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Don’t tell that to Amazon haha. Reports from a few months back were saying that amazon was dropping 1 billion to make Three Body the “next game of thrones”.

GBlades likes this.
  2. GBlades

Trusted

Oh yeah, I remember that story hitting. I'm intrigued to see it happen and I actually have some faith in Amazon. The fact they are developing LOTR, WOT and this makes me hopefully but I just hope it isn't another Shannara Chronicles; that shit was terrible.

3. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Lord of the Rings is my forever love. But WoT isn’t that far behind. Malazan is pretty good, but doesn’t compare to those two for me. I think it’s the way the story is told. I’m interested in more of Malazan, but it doesn’t demand my attention like the other two do/did.

GBlades likes this.
  4. GBlades

Trusted

Kinda glad someone else is in the same mindset. I'll always fight Wheel of Time's corner. LOTR is close behind for myself. Interested in Fall of Gondolin.

Yeah, Malazan seems to demand such attention that I can't commit to that right now. I'd like to but wow, so many books.

theagentcoma likes this.
  5. Garrett

Fall of Gondolin is my favorite part of the Silmarillion. Well. After the Ainulindale. Tolkien. What a legend.

GBlades likes this.
  6. GBlades

Trusted

I don't think we will ever see another Tolkien-esque writer in our time.

7. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Just checking in to say that Mistborn is awesome and I'm really enjoying it

Garrett L. and GBlades like this.
  8. GBlades

Trusted

Yes!! Is it The Final Empire you're reading? What part you at? If you don't mind me asking, no spoilers of course.

9. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Just the first book of the Mistborn trilogy! I'm maybe 300 pages into it, just finished the part where Kelsier and Vin snuck into Kredik Shaw and got their asses kicked by Steel Inquisitors. That whole sequence was intense!

Garrett L. and GBlades like this.
  10. GBlades

Trusted

Pretty awesome. The fight scenes are described perfectly. I think you'll like the ending.

theagentcoma likes this.
  11. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

I read Nevernight not long ago and enjoyed it enough. If you pick it up, I'll give the warning that I found the second half of the book MUCH more compelling than the first and some of the choices in the prose are...questionable, in my opinion. It reads like a YA novel that the author desperately doesn't want to be seen as a YA novel so the "grimdark" elements are kinda ramped up artificially. That being said, the story was compelling by the end and I'll probably get around to the next books in the series soon enough.

--

Regarding other fantasy reading ventures, I just finished the second and third books in The Expanse series pretty much back-to-back and it may be my favorite series right now. I absolutely adore the characters and each book has been better than the one before it (which is saying a lot because I've LOVED all of them so far). Can't wait to start the TV show now that I'm "caught up" but I intend to catch up with the books before the end of the year.

Still in the middle of Deadhouse Gates (Malazan #2). Like others have said, it's very attention-demanding and I don't quite know if my attention span can give it all it deserves. I'm reading the Gardens of the Moon re-read articles on Tor to make sure my brain is in the right place and it's really reminded me how deep and intriguing that entire world is, but I am a pretty fast reader who likes just...getting through stuff, so it's kinda on the backburner for me.

Started The Great Hunt (WoT #2) this week and it's great to be back in this world after finishing up a few books after Eye of the World. I find that I'm already remembering that I don't really like Rand (or Mat? and I'm lukewarm on Perrin), but I really love all of the female characters. Moiraine, Egwene, and especially Nynaeve are great in my opinion, at least where the story is now.

Lastly, I finished The Magicians audiobook last week. That's probably a 3/5 stars for me. I enjoyed the first half and the last quarter of the book the most and found some of the in-between a bit "filler-y" (HAHA). I can say pretty confidently that I absolutely hated Quentin as a character and found him a bit more likable in the TV adaptation, but he's just so damn insufferable. It feels like he was written to be hated (which is quite possible, I suppose). I do think this book sets up the second book nicely and I hear the series improves after the first so I've got the second audiobook on hold at the library for whenever the time comes.

Also, EDIT - this thread just introduced me to The Three-Body Problem, which I'd never heard of til now and looks 300% up my alley. Putting that on the list after The Expanse to feed the sci-fi hunger.

theagentcoma and Vivatoto like this.
  12. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Don't forget Amazon is also developing a Dark Tower tv series and an adaptation of Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. I doubt all of them will be the smash hit Amazon wants them to be but I'm really hoping at least a couple of them turn out great.

13. GBlades

Trusted

Hopefully the series fleshes out the Dark Tower novels, it's just the ending I have NO idea how they will resolve. Snow Crash should be alright. Amazon might just be throwing money at any book series and hoping one will hit though.

Thanks for the great insight into those books. A few I will check out, namely the Expanse and Nevernight. The TV series is pretty good but never read the books. The Magicians, I rea the first book but just never got round to the rest but the TV series is alright.

nomemorial likes this.
  14. nomemorial

I really can't recommend The Expanse enough - it's the book series I keep throwing at all of my friends now. It's super readable and I honestly picked it up as something to fill a certain Firefly-sized hole in my heart and its really ended up standing much more on its own legs for me. I love it.

Also, I'm very excited for the Snow Crash adaptation. Casting will be everything in that to make it what it needs to be, but Amazon has made it pretty clear that they're willing to put their money where their mouth is when it comes to these shows. Let's just hope it actually works out when they put these things on air. That book is really special, though, and done right could be a ton of fun in TV format.

15. GBlades

Trusted

I do really like the TV series so I think after WoT I will need to dive into something else and fill my shows a little bit.

I agree that Amazon needs to really hit a home run after investing billions into their TV series. Especially the likes of LOTR and Three-Body Problem.

16. Garrett

@nomemorial the second and third Magicians book are worth the slog of the first one. Cried in both.

nomemorial likes this.
  17. nomemorial

This is good to know!! I feel invested enough after the first to make it happen, but am glad to hear they're that much better.

Garrett L. likes this.
  18. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Holy shit this thread is suddenly uncharacteristicly active lol

19. Garrett

I didn’t like Q. And then I realized in book three I was Q. Weird times, haha

nomemorial likes this.
  20. nomemorial

I will admit to some of my issues with him perhaps being rooted in certain unsavory personal traits... :sly:

Garrett L. likes this.
  21. yeknom

CEO/Shelob Supporter

thanks for the recs. i'll chime in later with what I'm going to pick up and share my thoughts.

22. Garrett

Yeahhhhhh. At least he kinda has an arc through the books. And the show. I adore the show.

nomemorial likes this.
  23. yeknom

CEO/Shelob Supporter

started the first expanse book today.

nomemorial likes this.
  24. tucah

not champ Prestigious

i did not particularly care for the first magicians book but this makes me curious to get around to the other two eventually

*throws them on the list after a dozen wheel of time books, like 20 malazan related novels and my current recurring tolkien obsession*

Garrett L. likes this.
  25. Garrett

sup bestie

tucah likes this.