Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Fantasy/Sci-Fi Books Thread Book • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by The Lucky Moose, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Just started (about 115 pages in) The Way of Kings. I had it recommended to me in 2012, bought it, but tried to start it twice, only getting 30-60 pages in before putting it back on a shelf and forgetting about it. Really trying to stay the course this time, especially since everyone says Words of Radiance is even better. Enjoying it so far, even though it is a slow burn right now.

2. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Oh boy, Fantasy and short don't really go together haha. Only thing that really came to mind was American Gods by Neil Gaiman, although it's over 600 pages so as a standalone book it's not exactly short either but much shorter than an 8 book 3000+ page series I guess.

3. GBlades

Trusted

To be honest, it is a really slow burn until you get to the middle/end and then Sanderson just smacks you right in the fucking face with plot and reveals and turns. It's a fantastic series, I get that it might not be for everyone; I started it twice like yourself then just stuck with it.

4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

The SoC duology is good fun, but is also super reductive in plot. The ACoTaR trilogy is...surprisingly smutty. But it’s just okay. Her other series (six of which are published) is better...once you slog through the first three and a half books :crylaugh: I don’t know why Maas is popular, but I also know I’ve read nine of her eleven published works :crylaugh:

nomemorial likes this.
  5. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Good to know! One of my friends was talking about some of the YA stuff he's read and then the...YA-ish nature of Nevernight made me feel inclined to investigate some of these series that I keep seeing all over Insta/Tumblr.
    Nothing I plan to pay money for, but if the library has it or I can track down the audiobook I'm keen to try them out. I totally relate to "don't know why this is popular, but I've ingested so much of this" sentiment with some media, though. I think I just have an insatiable interest in "TV/film-ready" books because there's a sick part of me that likes being disappointed by adaptations.

Garrett L. likes this.
  6. Garrett

The fifth and sixth books of Maas’s ToG series are actually incredible. It’s honestly very encouraging to see a writer grow and develop even with all her popularity.

YA fantasy is my JAM, though. Even when it’s just ok.

coleslawed and nomemorial like this.
  7. Pooch

Regular

Throwing this recommendation out there because it is criminally under-read.

Low Town by Daniel Polansky (aka The Straight Razor Cure in the UK). Its a fantasy about a drug dealing addict/veteran/ex-cop trying to solve a murder on his turf. It's like Dresden Files + Carlito's Way set in a grimdark fantasy with some cool magic, but not overly reliant on it. I love it so much and it's only like 350 pgs. There are 2 sequels which are also great, but this is completely self-contained.

Low Town (Low Town, #1) by Daniel Polansky

coleslawed likes this.
  8. Dave Diddy

Damn N.K. Jemisin won another Hugo award, all 3 books in her Broken Earth series have won it now. I own the series but have yet to read it. Anyone read it? That is quite the accomplishment

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  9. yeknom

CEO/Shelob Supporter

haven't seen R. Scott Bakker mentioned yet, his second apocalypse series is fantastic, if very dark.

10. Garrett

I read all three last year and was...underwhelmed. The second one was the best. I guessed the big plot twist of the first fairly early on, but I can see how the structure garnered attention. They're very unique. But Stone Sky wasn't anywhere near Oathbringer when it comes to SFF novels, and that one didn't even make the nomination list I just discovered. Which is a bit of a farce.

11. Dave Diddy

Hmm okay, I don't always agree with their winner but I figured if all 3 books won the Hugo that she must be doing something right. Not sure when I'll get around to reading book 1 but I'll lower my expectations somewhat.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  12. yeknom

CEO/Shelob Supporter

Just finished a a few non fic books in a row. Need more fantasy recs please to change up the pace a little

13. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

what kinda stuff are you into? high fantasy? gritty realism? sci-fi fantasy?

14. yeknom

CEO/Shelob Supporter

All of it really. I suppose i prefer the darker stuff, but I've only recently gotten into sci fi at all; so I'm behind there. (basically only read things Dune, the stars my destination, do androids dream.., etc.

15. GBlades

Trusted

Has anyone hear ever read Godblind or Nevernight or Kings of the Wyld? What are they like? Empire of Silence by Christopher Rucchio was a good debut novel. Something different and I can see indefinitely where the Dune references come from but it's pretty good sci-fi/fantasty for a debut. I'll be picked up the sequel for sure.

nomemorial likes this.
  16. Garrett

Hyperion!

Dave Diddy and Vivatoto like this.
  17. GBlades

Trusted

Just read this response before posting my recent post haha. I'd give Empire of Silence a go, or even a look into. Once you get past the Dune-like plot it's a good take on Sci-Fi & Fantasy that we haven't really seen a mix of recently. It's like telling Name of the Wind in space such as Kote/Kvothe revealing his story.

Goodreads:

Hadrian Marlowe, a man revered as a hero and despised as a murderer, chronicles his tale in the galaxy-spanning debut of the Sun Eater series, merging the best of space opera and epic fantasy.

It was not his war.

The galaxy remembers him as a hero: the man who burned every last alien Cielcin from the sky. They remember him as a monster: the devil who destroyed a sun, casually annihilating four billion human lives—even the Emperor himself—against Imperial orders.

But Hadrian was not a hero. He was not a monster. He was not even a soldier.

On the wrong planet, at the right time, for the best reasons, Hadrian Marlowe starts down a path that can only end in fire. He flees his father and a future as a torturer only to be left stranded on a strange, backwater world.

Forced to fight as a gladiator and navigate the intrigues of a foreign planetary court, Hadrian must fight a war he did not start, for an Empire he does not love, against an enemy he will never understand

18. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Garrett L. likes this.
  19. Garrett

One day I’ll get to the sequels. But I am always living for the Canterbury Tales in space.

GBlades likes this.
  20. Dave Diddy

Yeah if we're talking sci fi I'm also going to throw my vote in for Hyperion or for The Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy. And as I always recommend, read The Dark Tower if you haven't already.

GBlades likes this.
  21. GBlades

Trusted

Not the OP but those are good recs. I flew through Three Body Problem and it was basically my introduction into sci-fi. Dark Tower is fantastic but the end can be a lot to take in.

22. Garrett

I just got three body problem on Audible in a sale recently. Also got Steven erikson’s sci-fi in that sale.

GBlades likes this.
  23. GBlades

Trusted

Have you read Three-Body before? I found it a LOT to take in and it took a few reads but once I got going it was pretty damn good.

I've got Gardens of the Moon on my TBR pile but i'm currently re-reading Wheel of Time and don't want to start yet another long epic fantasy series just yet.

theagentcoma likes this.
  24. Garrett

I have not!

I’m two books into Malazan (s/o to @theagentcoma); but will forever stan Wheel of Time.

theagentcoma and GBlades like this.
  25. GBlades

Trusted

In my opinion. Three-Body is a sci-fi series that can never be implemented to another medium. Not listened to the audiobook but I think you'll enjoy it. Hit me up when you've read an I can get your opinion!

Malazan is one of those series which is always praised but I can never really see myself getting round to. Wheel of Time will forever be my favourite series of all time. My gf is a massive Lord of the Rings fan and this is right up her alley but can never get her to read it. Totally scared for the tv series those but Rafe Judkins WotWednesday's are giving me a little hope right now.

theagentcoma and Garrett L. like this.