Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Fantasy/Sci-Fi Books Thread Book • Page 29

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by The Lucky Moose, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

So I've been reading this comic series called Die since it came out and there's a lot of Tolkien references baked in there, and now I'm starting to actually get them. To paraphrase the protagonist was given a choice and in their narration they said "Galadriel didn't take the one ring for herself." then it said something along the lines of, "But I've read the Silmarillion, and and I know that Galadriel would have taken the ring then." Not only was I giddy that I understood the reference but the latter comment also opened up new avenues of thought for Galadriel.

a_cuppa_joe and OwainGlyndwr like this.
  2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

awwwwww yis

3. drewinseries

Drew

Anybody have any recs of books/series that deal with gods? I don't specifically mean gods of a known pantheon, more of less have deities as figures in the story.

4. Vivatoto

Malazan

theagentcoma and drewinseries like this.
  5. drewinseries

Drew

Rad, thanks. I was actually gifted Gardens of the Moon recently, but haven't started it.

theagentcoma and Vivatoto like this.
  6. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Yes the answer is always Malazan lol

It has gods and demigods and dead gods and everything in between

7. Vivatoto

...Crippled Gods, sleeping gods, infinitely bleeding gods, chained gods....

8. Vivatoto

Sorry for bring up a book that most people probably have a negative opinion of, but @Garrett I noticed you also read Ready Player Two. Did you enjoy them getting that sixth shard as much as I did? It was pretty sweet having that information super fresh in my mind.

Garrett likes this.
  9. Garrett

I don't quite get why so many people hate it as it's 100% in the vein of the first one. It was exactly what you would expect.

But yes. I was LIVING for the sixth shard section.

OwainGlyndwr and Vivatoto like this.
  10. Vivatoto

Evan Winter's second book The Fires of Vengeance was pretty fucking great. Hit the ground running and didn't slow for a second. Better than the first.

GBlades likes this.
  11. GBlades

Trusted

The first was one of my favourite debuts so really excited to be getting to this one.

Vivatoto likes this.
  12. Vivatoto

You're gonna love it.

13. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

I liked Rage of Dragons but overall didn't find it all that special

14. theagentcoma

My wife got me The Rhythm of War for Christmas so I can't wait to devour that

Vivatoto likes this.
  15. GBlades

Trusted

Really liked how different and fast-paced it was so really looking forward to it. Trying not to devour many larger books until Christmas for this.

Obviously won't spoil anything for you but it's typical Sanderson greatness with some mind-blowing stories.

Vivatoto and theagentcoma like this.
  16. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

Any female characters this time?

The handling of the female characters in the book was...really bad.

17. GBlades

Trusted

Yeah the ratio/handling wasn't the best so hoping that does pick up.

FlayedManOfSF likes this.
  18. Vivatoto

I loved Zuri in the first book so I don’t really agree. Tsiora and Nayh (and Esi to a smaller amount) are incredible characters in this one.

19. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

For me it was there were 2 female characters from what I can remember. One got raped to get Tau started on his quest and another got killed at the end to make him even more mad. When your female characters get raped and killed to propel your male main character on his way then, in my opinion, the writing could be much better. The thing is, I LOVED the book outside of these things but I have a hard time fully embracing it because of these things.

20. Vivatoto Dec 16, 2020
    (Last edited: Dec 16, 2020)
    Vivatoto

Been awhile since I read it but I'm assuming Tsiora was in the first book aswel? She's incredible in the second and none of those things happen to her. I loved Zuri and can't say I thought of her character as propellant for the main character, thought she was a well formed character on her own. I don't remember the first thing you mentioned, but yeah that is unfortunate.

EDIT: I'm actually realizing now that I when I started the second book I'm remembering that I was surprised that Zuri was dead, I had forgotten and was expecting her. So I'd say that's a good sign when I remember her life more than what her death meant

FlayedManOfSF likes this.
  21. theagentcoma

Finally got Rhythm of War. The art on the inside of book is so good.

Vivatoto likes this.
  22. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Got this nice edition of LotR and TH for Christmas

Photo 26-12-2020, 12 29 21.jpg Photo 26-12-2020, 12 28 08.jpg

23. Vivatoto

Started the Poppy War. Really looking forward to it.

Garrett likes this.
  24. Garrett

Blew through the trilogy this fall. Very good stuff.

Vivatoto likes this.
  25. theagentcoma

Ok I'm starting to notice something in Stormlight that I may not have picked up on before, but Sanderson's dialogue can be really cringy at times. The majority of the conversations between Kaladin and Syl are eyeroll inducing, and there's a lot of stuff between Adolin and Shallan that is cheesy too. It kinda gets past the point of endearing after awhile. Anyone else feel this way?