Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Fantasy/Sci-Fi Books Thread Book • Page 23

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by The Lucky Moose, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I'm gonna go throw up now.

Unrelated to my novel, I've got about ~five hours left in Fires of Heaven and basically I'm head over heels in love with Wheel of Time all over again.

theagentcoma and The Lucky Moose like this.
  2. GBlades

Trusted

I think I answered the email but I got it! I have quite a lot left of Fires of Heaven. I'm also reading Priory of the Orange Tree.

Garrett likes this.
  3. Garrett

My goal this summer is to finish my re-read of Wheel of Time before Labor Day. This'll get a little tricky in-part because I am listening to a racial justice nonfiction work between each book now. I've also paused for the new Hunger Games, will be pausing for the new Max Brooks' novel, and the new Hank Green novel out next month. But, when you're marathon training and have a long commute, audiobooks tend to fly.

Priory is in my audible wishlist, but I'm on a bit of a buying freeze until I can cut through a decent chunk of my TBR list. Unless too good of a deal pops up.

4. GBlades

Trusted

I want to be able to finish at least another 2 books of Wheel of Time, Priory of the Orange Tree and hopefully something else before the new Evan Winters and Sanderson novels in November.

I did try audiobooks but I found myself waaaaay too distracted because the book wasn't in front of me.

5. Garrett

I forgot I wanted to do a Stormlight re-read before this, too. Dangit.

theagentcoma likes this.
  6. GBlades

Trusted

Right!? Just more to add on. Tor have a great recap on Heralds and the whole last few books and it actually helped refresh a lot of things I thought I had forgotten.

theagentcoma likes this.
  7. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Need something to hold me over until the next Stormlight book, Priory sounds cool

Vivatoto and FlayedManOfSF like this.
  8. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

It's soooooo incredible. And you couldn't pick a better fantasy book for Pride month. Do it!

theagentcoma and Vivatoto like this.
  9. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Priory is up there with the best.

theagentcoma likes this.
  10. Garrett

[​IMG]

I'm about to spam a few threads with this, but this is how important/good this novel is. This book just won the Hugo and Nebula Awards for best novel. (Side-Note: DO NOT SLEEP ON THE TOR EBOOK CLUB. Also - DO NOT SLEEP ON THIS SERIES.) This book is free for the next three days, so do this quick. It's an alternate history where an asteroid impact in the 1950s accelerates the space race. SO, so, so, so GOOD. Written by a woman, with a Jewish female protagonist, and challenging stereotypes of the genre and time period wonderfully.

Sign-Up for the Tor eBook Club here to get the free book. (The third book comes out next month.)

Also: Giveaway of the paperback version of the entire Wheel of Time series can be entered here.

11. theagentcoma

Look what came in the mail today

20200623_163525.jpg

FlayedManOfSF and Vivatoto like this.
  12. Garrett

Oh she wrote The Bone Season series? I never read it, but man, critics hated it. She got a massive advance for that one.

13. theagentcoma

Maybe that explains why I've never heard of it until I looked at this cover lol

scottlechowicz likes this.
  14. GBlades

Trusted

15. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

Priory is so amazing. I'm jealous of everyone experiencing it for the first time!

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  16. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I’m always hesitant to read standalone fantasy novels for some reason, I like series, the more overly long the better

theagentcoma likes this.
  17. GBlades

Trusted

I do feel a spurt where nothing happens in Priory. Then something massive happens. Then nothing again. I am only around 200 pages though and really enjoying it.

18. theagentcoma

Yeah I don't think I've ever read one, now that you mention it. I'm always mired in some multi volume series or another.

19. I love long series, but some are are too daunting to begin. I love that Warbreaker is just a standalone novel whereas I'm intimidated by Stephen King's Dark Tower saga. Trilogies feel like the best fit.

20. Mattww

Regular

I just finished who fears death by Nnedi Okorafor. It’s very good. Beautifully written and heartbreaking in places. Really interesting and different uses of magic and a different take on the hero and master teaches prodigy set against post apocalyptic Africa. A lot of race and gender agendas are tackled as well. Highly recommended but I would give trigger warnings for rape especially which is a theme of the book and which is described in some detail.

I think it is being made into a tv series (HBO maybe) with Nnedi herself and George R R Martin

21. ralph5MM

I do love American Gods, a novel written by Neil Gaiman

theagentcoma and Brother Beck like this.
  22. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I also love The Ocean at the End of the Lane, another novel written by Neil Gaiman, albeit a shortish one.

theagentcoma likes this.
  23. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Took a second run at Fifth Season and lasted quite a bit longer. But ultimately I just couldn’t get into it.

Moved on to Foundryside. Can’t say I really like it. But it’s caught enough of my attention that I’ll probably finish it.

24. GBlades

Trusted

I really liked Foundryside. It didn't get going until it delved into the lore and character-building but when it got going it was endlessly great. Clef is such a brilliant invention of a character. The second book, Shorefall, was on par - if not better.

25. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I only have like 2 hours left in the audiobook so I am basically finished with it. Don't really have anything positive to say about it. I won't be going on to book 2.