Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Fantasy/Sci-Fi Books Thread Book • Page 22

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by The Lucky Moose, Oct 30, 2016.

1. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I'm pretty much strictly paperback but I don't mind the occasional audiobook, they just seem so expensive

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Audible sales are my friend.

theagentcoma likes this.
  3. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Audiobooks, unless a new title in an ongoing series suddenly doesn’t get an audiobook release, in which cause I read the paper book. I don’t need more screen time in my life.

Non-fantasy books I usually read on paper as well.

4. The Lucky Moose

Not if you get audible, then they’re cheaper, provided you read one or more month

theagentcoma likes this.
  5. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Yeah audiobooks are definitely expensive but it's doable with an Audible subscription. 15/month isn't horrible, plus like @Garrett said they run some good sales. Also Google Play Audiobooks and Chirp both have sales (and don't require memberships) so I keep my eye on those.

6. The Lucky Moose

It's 10€ a month here (plus 10 more for each additional book you buy beyond your subscription), which is definitely less than you'd pay for 90% of paper books, especially new ones. eBooks I guess or often cheaper though.

7. Garrett

Apple Audiobooks also runs some decent sales.

8. theagentcoma

Just finished Oathbringer, what a ride. Book 4 is supposed to be out this year, right?

9. Garrett

November iirc

theagentcoma likes this.
  10. GBlades

Trusted

17th of November. Reaaaaaally looking forward to it.

Also just bought The Priory of the Orange Tree and looking forward to that too.

FlayedManOfSF and theagentcoma like this.
  11. Garrett

So I need some beta readers for my young adult fantasy novel who actually read the genre. I think the book is about 80-85% there, but want more eyes helping me find the flaws/strengthening the bit. I trust all of you since we've been discussing fantasy for three years. But, like, also, I'm a little petrified that it's not very good compared to all the masterpieces we all read and discuss regularly. Anyone interested in dealing with my neurotic writer self?

12. GBlades

Trusted

You can always count me in. Happy to lend my own eyes and ears especially to those in hear since we have been discussing it so long. You should post a blurb as well to try and entice more in!

theagentcoma and Garrett like this.
  13. Garrett

I don't think you quite understand how terrifying this is for me, haha. It took me a month and a half to build up the courage to ask.

14. The Lucky Moose

I’m down

15. The Lucky Moose

I also read a lot of different type of fantasy, including of different "quality levels" (which I don't mean disparagingly, but don't know how else to describe it), so I won't just be comparing your work to "masterpieces" by writers that have all the time and money in the world

Garrett likes this.
  16. theagentcoma

Share share share

Gonna need beta readers eventually, right?

Garrett likes this.
  17. GBlades

Trusted

No no, you've really done the best thing. In fact, we're all promoting it so get that blurb out!

Best getting it out there already.

The Lucky Moose and theagentcoma like this.
  18. Garrett

Message me your emails, please.

I've not actually started working on queries/blurbs or anything. But this was my first attempt a few weeks back. However, don't like...share it outside of here. It's gonna be awhile before I get to querying (and if that fails, self-publishing).

"After discovering the long-thought dead evil organization that destroyed the continents still exists, a vigilante former slave pirate joins forces with a glassblower, a spy, and a prince to try and topple their slave trade; but when the equilibrium of magic of threatened, they must overcome their differences before the rest of the world they know crumbles into the sea."

19. GBlades

Trusted

PIRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATES. Colour me excited. I'll email you just now.

theagentcoma likes this.
  20. GBlades

Trusted

Won't let me onto your profile, Garrett!

theagentcoma likes this.
  21. theagentcoma

Vigilante former slave pirate? Say no more, I'm in.

22. Garrett

I think I fixed it

23. The Lucky Moose

All I can say is if this was the description for a book on audible I’d be hitting that buy button. Sounds exactly like something I’d be into.

24. Garrett

25. theagentcoma

The Lucky Moose and Garrett like this.