Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Fantasy/Sci-Fi Books Thread Book • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by The Lucky Moose, Oct 30, 2016.

1. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I like this series precisely because I've been going through Wheel Of Time withdrawal ever since I finished it, haha

2. The Lucky Moose

Currently reading the newest entry in the series "The Cycle Of Galand". Just as fun as the previous ones.

3. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  4. Garrett

Listening to Oathbringer and remembered this thread and:

Fantasy I've Read:

Leigh Bardugo
    : Six of Crows duology
    Terry Brooks: The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara Trilogy
    Dragonlance (Weiss & Hickman): The Chronicles Trilogy, The Legends Trilogy, War of Lost Souls Trilogy, The Lost Chronicles Trilogy, Second Generation Duology
    Lev Grossman: The Magicians trilogy
    Robert Jordan: The Wheel of Time 1-14, New Spring
    Stephen King: The Dark Tower 1-7 (but not Wind Through the Keyhole yet)
    C.S. Lewis: Narnia 1-7
    Sarah J. Maas: Throne of Glass 1-6, A Court of... 1-3
    GRRM: ASOIAF 1-5
    Anne McCaffrey: Dragonriders of Pern 1-3
    J.K. Rowling: Harry Potter 1-8
    Brandon Sanderson: Mistborn: The Final Empire, Elantris, Warbreaker, Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, The Rithmatist, Reckoners trilogy
    JRR Tolkien: The Silmarillion, Children of Hurin, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings

Depending on how strict of a definition of fantasy you have, some above may not qualify, and some I didn't mention may qualify. Lots of YA stuff in that vein.

Fantasy I Own (tbr):

Meg Elison: The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (Audible)
    Kevin Hearne: A Plague of Giants (ARC copy I got behind on)
    N.K. Jemisin: The Broken Earth Trilogy (Audible)
    Stephen King: Wind Through the Keyhole (hard copy)
    Ken Liu: The Dandelion Dynasty 1-2 (Audible)
    Brandon Sanderson: the other five Mistborn novels, Ars Arcanum (hard copy)
    Michael J. Sullivan: Riyria Chronicles 1-2 (Audible)

5. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Brother Beck and The Lucky Moose like this.
  6. The Lucky Moose

No but Audible really wants me to, haha.

7. GBlades

Trusted

I've read Mistborn S1. Stormlight Archive.
    I've read pasts of Wheel of Time. Anything from Middle Earth. Even Earthsea and Dark Tower. Kingkiller Chronicles will always be my favourite.

I need to a few recommendations though.

Malazan, Gentlemen Bastards, any detailed recommendations?

Feel free to add on your own.

8. The Lucky Moose

I you haven't read Gentlemen Bastards you should do that right away

9. GBlades

Trusted

I've seen a LOT of recommendations on it. I'm not sure if it fits into what I'd usually go for it. Really that good?

10. The Lucky Moose

Yes! It's somehow dark yet also lighthearted and the storylines are really good.

11. Dave Diddy

12. Dave Diddy

I'm going to second the recommendation of starting Gentleman Bastards.

Also going to throw out a couple that aren't as popular as ASOIAF, LOTR, Dark Tower, Kingkiller etc. These aren't your traditional fantasy settings though if you're looking for Wheel of Time, LOTR type stuff. These have some sci-fi leanings.

• The Silo Series by Hugh Howey
    • MaddAddam Trilogy by Margaret Atwood

13. GBlades

Trusted

Guess what i got for Christmas.... haha. I got the rest of Wheel of Time & Oathbringer. Going to finish those before I move onto a new series.

Garrett L. and The Lucky Moose like this.
  14. The Lucky Moose Jan 9, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 9, 2018)
    The Lucky Moose

I finished book four of The Cycle of Galand series, the direct sequel series to the cycle of The Cycle of Arawn series. It was very good, the best one so far. Can't wait for the next one.

For anyone that is looking for a long series to dive into like Wheel Of Time, I highly recommend the Cycle Of Arawn series (available as a three for one via Audible) followed by the The Cycle of Galand. The first CoA book isn't the best in terms of how it was written (the young author was still looking for a tone I think), but it's still good and the story/setting is interesting from the beginning. It's a really good series (or two series really, though it really picks up where it left off).

Now I'm going to work my way through the 50 hours audiobook of Oathbringer.

15. Dave Diddy

So I had heard about Amazon and LOTR but the others were news to me. Amazon really wants to find the next hit tv show after GOT. Great time to be a fantasy book lover.

"The Dark Tower" TV Series Has Found a Home at Amazon - Bloody Disgusting

As part of the effort, Amazon made a mega deal for a Lord Of the Rings TV series and is developing a slew of high-profile titles, including The Dark Tower, Wheel of Time, Ringworld, Lazarus and Snow Crash,” wrote Deadline last night, describing Amazon’s current effort to push into the genre series arena.

The Lucky Moose and Vivatoto like this.
  16. The Lucky Moose

17. The Lucky Moose Mar 8, 2018
    (Last edited: Oct 24, 2019)
    The Lucky Moose

I heard about a WoT series being in pre-development a long time ago. Apparently it found its way to Amazon somehow.

18. Dave Diddy

Yeah that's awesome. I'm currently on book 7 of WOT so I would love for a series to watch after I finish. I can only imagine how difficult it is to try to adapt a 15 book series into a tv show. I highly doubt they'd attempt to make it 15 seasons long so I'm curious as to what sort of formula they use to adapt it, try to follow the story accurately and maybe do 2 books per season? Or maybe they go off in a whole new direction and don't even do a true adaptation.

19. The Lucky Moose

You never know, they might go for 15 seasons and just never finish it, haha. Sorry, I've been too burned by GoT to be optimistic.

20. Garrett

Tbh if they pretended Eye of the World was the only book and gave us a thirteen episode perfect adaptation of that I would be happy

21. Dave Diddy

Has anyone read any Brian McClellan? I think his Powder Mage trilogy is fairly popular. I ask because the first book of his new series is on sale for Kindle right now and I've always kinda wanted to give his stuff a try.

22. Dave Diddy

The Lucky Moose and Garrett L. like this.
  23. The Lucky Moose

I'm almost done with this one. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's one of the best and most refreshing fantasy books I have read in a long time.

Torn (The Unraveled Kingdom #1) by Rowenna Miller

The audiobook is very good by the way.

24. Dave Diddy

Has anyone read The Witcher series? I got an email from Amazon saying a couple of the books were on sale but I'm kind of confused. It looks like there's a series and then some other books outside the actual series? Blood of Elves says it's book 1, but the other one on sale is "The Last Wish: introducing the Witcher". So long story short, is The Witcher worth it and should I just start with Blood of Elves because that's actually the start of the series?

25. stars143

Trusted

I've only played the games, but I have a friend who is into the books and suggested The Last Wish as the place to start. After that read them in release order.