Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Fantasy/Sci-Fi Books Thread Book • Page 16

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by The Lucky Moose, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

it just feels like it could happen

2. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Y'all stop that

3. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

B9F46004-EF42-4774-9C6B-B0E37EF26404.jpeg

I have found out that not many people know about this book. It’s really sweet.

4. GBlades

Trusted

Brother Beck likes this.
  5. OwainGlyndwr

I am the Aleutian allusion illusion Supporter

Pretty late to follow up on this, but you should absolutely read Tim Akers. I've only read The Pagan Night so far (that's the first one), but I absolutely loved it and I've got the rest of the trilogy tantalizing me on my shelf. From what I've seen of your tastes, you'd enjoy it as well.

Vivatoto likes this.
  6. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Reading Robert Jordan's first book that was finally published this year, Warrior of the Altaii. I love it. Crazy to see him write at such a frantic pace.

Garrett L. and ChaseTx like this.
  7. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Pretty sure I remember a few people talking about The Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons a while back. It’s free on kindle right now so I downloaded it. No idea when I’ll read it though. I’ve got a zillion unread books right now.

8. drewinseries

Drew

Been reading a lot of horror/thriller/folklore books. Picked up these today, which should I start first?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Vivatoto

Well Malazan is like the best series ever but it's a giant commitment so just make sure you're ready for it. A Little Hatred is also excellent and a much quicker read so I'd go with that first, assuming you've read all of the other First Law books.

drewinseries and theagentcoma like this.
  10. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Ah shit here we go again

Jk. Malazan is my all time favorite series and yeah, it's not for the faint of heart. Never read Abercrombie before tho

11. drewinseries

Drew

I haven’t read first law, is it connected? Thought this was book 1 in a new trilogy

12. Garrett

Oh! This let me know the sequel is out. Thanks!

Dave Diddy likes this.
  13. Vivatoto

Well that's where it gets a little complicated. If you wanted to go straight to that book you wouldnt be confused and I believe that the author says its a good jumping on point, but I absolutely recommend against it. His first trilogy titled the First Law and his three incredible standalone novels are all part of the same world with some of the same characters as A Little Hatred, which is more like a sequel trilogy. Like all the main characters are related to characters from the first trilogy. A Little Hatred takes place a few decades after the other books.

14. GBlades

Trusted

Has anyone read The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winters? I'm looking for a new-ish fantasy for when I finish His Dark Materials and before I continue with Wheel of Time for a few books then dropping off to get hyped for Stormlight 4!

15. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Picked up a little hatred since it was 4 dollars on kindle today. I read the first trilogy but haven’t read any of the standalone books so I guess I’ve got some reading to do before I start a little hatred

16. Vivatoto

I loved the stand alone books more than the trilogy

17. The Lucky Moose

coleslawed and Garrett L. like this.
  18. Garrett

Trying out a classic right now: A Canticle for Leibowitz. It’s crazy to see how far the genre has come. I’m curious how weird this will stay.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  19. GBlades

Trusted

The Rage of Dragon basically has a twist at the end of every chapter! What a story!

20. The Lucky Moose

Is it grimdark-ish? Because you never know these days and I don’t like that

21. GBlades

Trusted

I wouldn't say so. It's brutal, lot of breaks and blood. More African fantasy. Can be confusing at the start with caste names but it gets familiar a few chapters in. Really recommend it, it's an easy read.

22. The Lucky Moose

Thanks. I can deal with brutal, I’m just not into never ending bleakness and futility mixed with constant ugly language (I don’t mean cursing - hard to explain). I will put it on the list for when I’m done with my current series.

23. Vivatoto

I might have to check that out. I should be starting the final Osten Ard book (so far) today.

24. GBlades

Trusted

Definitely recommend. Might be my favourite fantasy to come out of 2019 and the sequel is in a few months.

25. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Most of my reading these days is done as listening to audiobooks just before bed to help me fall asleep. I finally dove in to Memory, Sorrow & Thorn by Tad Williams after meaning to for many years, and The Dragonbone Chair is so damn good that I've been listening to it any chance that I get - in the car on the way to and from work, while I do chores, while I'm cooking for my kids or any time I am eating alone. This story sucked me right in big time.

The Lucky Moose and theagentcoma like this.