Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Fantasy/Sci-Fi Books Thread Book • Page 13

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by The Lucky Moose, Oct 30, 2016.

1. GBlades

Trusted

This is just triple posting now but I've finally finished Oathbringer and with that; a full re-read of the Cosmere. Damn, that was intense.

2. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

A Little Hatred is intense as hell. Still holding out hope that The Bloody Nine shows up, even though he did have a solid conclusion in Red Country

tucah likes this.
  3. tucah

not champ Prestigious

It's killing me that I haven't had time to dig into A Little Hatred yet.

4. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Okay so I'm giving Malazan another try. I read book 1 several years ago and was confused as hell. Started book 2 a while back but wasn't in the right mindset. I'm 50 pages into Deadhouse Gates and I'm taking it seriously this time. I'm reading chapter summaries after every chapter, referencing the character guide frequently, and reading at a slower pace. So far I'm enjoying Deadhouse Gates and not feeling nearly as overwhelmed.

5. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I ordered the first few books and tried but I was just lost as all hell and couldn't concentrate. We had two babies at that time and I wasn't sleeping and working like 60+ hr weeks and my brain was fried. I'm gonna try again in a few years.

Dave Diddy and theagentcoma like this.
  6. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

It's not for the faint of heart. It's my favorite series of all time and it took 3 attempts for the first book and 2 for the second one lol. The Reread is definitely a fantastic resource. Also feel free to PM me because I will never stop singing the praises of Malazan

Vivatoto, Dave Diddy and Brother Beck like this.
  7. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

I'm starting The Wheel of Time series. About halfway through Book 1 and loving it. The SF Public Library has a book sale every year and I purchased all 14 books for a buck apiece.

I got chosen to be a beta reader for the new Jenny Lyons sci-fi book - never been a beta reader and this has me very excited. Her book The Ruin of Kings was one of my favorites from the year.

Other favorites from this year:
    The Rise of Kyoshi by F.C. Yee
    Priory of the Orange tree by Samantha Shannon

Upcoming books I'm excited for:
    The Name of All Things by Jenn Lyons
    Spark of the Resistance by Rebecca Roanhouse
    Starsight by Brandon Sanderson

What a great year for books!

Does anyone watch any Book Youtubers? Looking for recs.

8. Dave Diddy

Yeah I had heard that going into it but I still didn't take it as seriously as I should have. I didn't use any additional resources for the first book and just figured it would all come together at some point. But it never really did and I was just confused as hell. There were a lot of parts in GoTM that I enjoyed but all the confusion kind of sucked the enjoyment out of it. I'm excited to hopefully fully get into it this time as I know you and @Vivatoto both really enjoy it.

theagentcoma and Brother Beck like this.
  9. Vivatoto

I mean it's fucking unreal how incredible those last five books are. Never read anything like it.

Brother Beck and theagentcoma like this.
  10. Dave Diddy

Well I read another 50 pages of Deadhouse Gates yesterday and I'm starting to really get into it. Where would you rank DG against the rest of the books in the series?

Brother Beck and theagentcoma like this.
  11. theagentcoma

DG is jarring because it takes you across the world to a totally different setting than the one in the first book. In my mind, it introduces one of the most memorable characters, and the ending I'd say is top 3 out of the series.

I think it begins what is the best arc in the series as well.

Brother Beck, Vivatoto and Dave Diddy like this.
  12. Vivatoto Oct 22, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 22, 2019)
    Vivatoto

Every book has plenty of their own truly awe inspiring moments, but honestly they just keep better and better, and not just the story coming together, but Erickson's writing improves exponentially, I don't know if I've ever witnessed such a strong transformation, let alone within one series. I thought DG was a lot better than Gardens and that was more or less when I decided I was all in, but if you're looking at the whole series, it's my second to least favorite. But again, that's just because everything that comes after is just so damn epic.

theagentcoma and Brother Beck like this.
  13. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

This will be the next big series I try to tackle. Right now I am listening to things I have already read as audiobooks to help me wind down before bed, but this is the next thing I try to actively read.

theagentcoma likes this.
  14. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Would gladly participate if someone restarted the Malazan book club again here. Reading the series in a disciplined way kept me involved and I kinda fell off after the book club fell off. Would love to get that going again, even if it meant starting over.

theagentcoma likes this.
  15. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Yeah. I finished Deadhouse and never started book three.

theagentcoma likes this.
  16. theagentcoma

Damnit the pressure is back on me. I failed you all. I'm about to start book 3 of the Stormlight Archives, but I might be able to juggle both

17. Dave Diddy

Well I'd be interested in doing some malazan reading with you guys

theagentcoma likes this.
  18. Garrett

i say this with all sincerity: OATHBRINGER OATHBRINGER OATHBRINGER

theagentcoma and GBlades like this.
  19. theagentcoma

Fiinnee

20. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I’ve never even started Malazan. Is it a lot denser than say LotR or ASoIaF?

21. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I haven't read it yet, but everything I have read and heard about it points to it being much denser than LotR.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  22. The Lucky Moose

That sounds exhausting, haha. I basically consume all my fantasy books as audiobooks, which sounds like bad idea in this case base on what you all are saying?

23. Garrett

I did Malazan 1 and 2 as audiobooks. They never lost me plotwise, though Eriksen’s writing leaves worlds to be desired in book 1.

theagentcoma and The Lucky Moose like this.
  24. The Lucky Moose

Would you also say it’s denser than the ones I mentioned above?

Brother Beck likes this.
  25. theagentcoma

So much denser.

The Lucky Moose and Brother Beck like this.