Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Fantasy/Sci-Fi Books Thread Book • Page 12

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by The Lucky Moose, Oct 30, 2016.

1. tucah

not champ Prestigious

kept dipping in and out but finally got through house of chains. love the series so goddamn much at this point, the world and lore is just incredibly deep, i'm constantly learning and connecting new pieces together. the slightly altered structure with karsa's 200+ page origin hooked me right away and he grew on me tremendously as the book went on.

i nearly stood up and cheered when quick ben showed up and there was some real heartbreaking stuff in the final pages with felisin.

midnight tides soon

2. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I definitely grew to love Felisin. I remember she wasn't a favorite when people were starting the second book and I agreed a bit. She became really great thought.Karsa is one of the most interesting characters I have ever read. He starts off so incredibly barbaric I definitely found myself wondering if I could ever connect with him, but that's really the beauty of his character.

Adjunct Tavore is in that one, correct? She is top 5 characters, could easily fight for the top spot.

One piece of advice I have for Midnight Tides is I found the first section ridiculously confusing at that period in time, but that is quite possibly one of the most important moments in the entire Malazan history, so try to take your time with it. I went back and read it before I read the last book knowing more about who the characters were and their importance, so much information is thrown at you.

Glad to hear you are catching the bug. I feel like this was about where I started falling in love. His writing takes huge steps within the next couple books

tucah likes this.
  3. The Lucky Moose May 29, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 4, 2019)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Lately I have been trying to prioritise books written by up-and-coming women, which has led me to some true gems. All of them are very different, with very different settings and magic systems, but all of them are so fresh and well written.

1. The Swords and Fire series by Melissa Caruso. The third and final instalment just came out. I'm waiting for the Audiobook though.

The Tethered Mage (Swords and Fire, #1) by Melissa Caruso

2. Empire of Sand by Tasha Suri. The next instalment in the series is coming out later this year.

Empire of Sand (The Books of Ambha, #1) by Tasha Suri

3. Torn by Rowenna Miller. I have recommend this one before. The second instalment in the series is almost out too.

Torn (The Unraveled Kingdom, #1) by Rowenna Miller

More to come at some point. I'm about to start The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty.

Brother Beck likes this.
  4. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

theagentcoma and The Lucky Moose like this.
  5. The Lucky Moose

This is great so far. It’s historical fantasy, set in 18th century Egypt (as well as a fantasy world/city).

ChaseTx likes this.
  6. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

About 75 pages left in Way of Kings. Gotta pick up the next one soon.

Garrett L. likes this.
  7. GBlades

Trusted

It's my favourite of the 3 but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a slow burner. Once you really realise what's going on it becomes much more exciting.

theagentcoma likes this.
  8. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Just started The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang and I'm really enjoying it so far. Anyone read it?

9. The Lucky Moose Aug 21, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 21, 2019)
    The Lucky Moose

I finished both of the books in the series out so far. They're very, very good.

I have also finished this one, a really great start to a new series that has kind of a heist theme:

An Illusion of Thieves (Chimera, #1) by Cate Glass

Just started the most current entry in the The Last King Of Osten Ard series.

10. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

Just found this thread so going to spam a few things:

Anyone excited for the new First Law Abercrombie? The ARC reviews are getting me hyped though I still need to read the Heroes and red country before digging in. Most reviews have said to read all the first law stories first (including the sharp ends anthology). I probably won't be able to start it on release date but still excited nonetheless.

Also, haven't seen it mentioned in here but the final book of the Licanius trilogy is due out end of the year which is a fantastic newish series that will be eaten up by fans of Sanderson/Jordan. Below is the good read link to the first one.
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22878967-the-shadow-of-what-was-lost?from_search=true

Lastly, another book I haven't seen mentioned here that is one of, if not my favorite fantasy series, is the books of Babel by Josiah Bancroft. The writing is absolutely wonderful. It's a very whimsical tale, with a fantastic setting and characters and I cannot wait for the 4th and final installment next year.
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35271523-senlin-ascends?ac=1&from_search=true

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  11. GBlades

Trusted

Welcome! Haven't actually read Abercrombie but the Licanius trilogy is some good writing. I also seen Babel but haven't picked it up yet. Currently finishing a re-read of the Cosmere, on Oathbringer , then might read a few standalones before moving onto Wheel of Time.

Helloelloallo likes this.
  12. tucah

not champ Prestigious

haven't read the middle series but i'm with you on the first and last point.

i've been waiting what feels like forever for more first law after being spoiled by a book a year-ish and then nothing but short stories since. i think the standalones are even stronger than the trilogy, you're in for a treat. haven't seen reviews but i don't need to, i'm already 100% ready for it. also thanks for reminding me that was coming out soon because i was totally under the impression it was out in october or november or something and i'm now seeing that it's just a few weeks away, yessss.

went through all three books of babel in a row when book 3 released and had a blast. really great characters and a pretty fascinating world, hod king in particular did some really interesting things with the world, one of the most pure fun fantasy series i've read in a while, it occasionally gets a little dark but the writing is breezy enough to keep it moving.

13. tucah

not champ Prestigious

haven't read the middle series but i'm with you on the first and last point.

i've been waiting what feels like forever for more first law after being spoiled by a book a year-ish and then nothing but short stories since. i think the standalones are even stronger than the trilogy, you're in for a treat. haven't seen reviews but i don't need to, i'm already 100% ready for it. also thanks for reminding me that was coming out soon because i was totally under the impression it was out in october or november or something and i'm now seeing that it's just a few weeks away, yessss.

went through all three books of babel in a row when book 3 released and had a blast. really great characters and a pretty fascinating world, hod king in particular did some really interesting things with the world, one of the most pure fun fantasy series i've read in a while, it occasionally gets a little dark but the writing is breezy enough to keep it moving.

14. The Lucky Moose

A thing that pisses me off is that two series I’ve been listening to stopped receiving audiobook versions. One of them only has one entry left too. Annoying.

15. The Lucky Moose

16. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I have a note in my current fantasy draft that says “make this sound more like a fantasy novel” next to the phrase “he’s kind of a dick” so i get it :crylaugh:

coleslawed and The Lucky Moose like this.
  17. The Lucky Moose

Lmao that’s amazing

18. Garrett

You do what you have to to keep that awful first draft a-flowing.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  19. GBlades

Trusted

Stormlight Archive 4 update has been posted on Reddit:

tucah and theagentcoma like this.
  20. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

hell yeah I'm plugging through book 2 atm

21. tucah

not champ Prestigious

no phrase gets me more excited than "cosmere mysteries and answers"

give now

22. GBlades

Trusted

Apologises for a 1 month break when there's been 4 books concurrently being written at the same time.

coleslawed likes this.
  23. Garrett

I understand he can’t just focus on Stormlight all the time as a writer. But as a fan, I need him to complete:

Skyward 3
    Mistborn 7
    Rithmatist 2

by the end of 2020 and then to write all six remaining Stormlight sequentially. thanks Brandon you’re a pal

coleslawed and GBlades like this.
  24. GBlades

Trusted

Well, personally, I think that's easily done.

The Lucky Moose and Garrett L. like this.
  25. GBlades

Trusted