Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Fantasy/Sci-Fi Books Thread Book • Page 11

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by The Lucky Moose, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Loved Ruin of Kings. I'm here for the rest of it. Talon is the best. I was surprised to find that I had a harder time with it than books like Malazan or ASOIAF...For some reason multiple characters is a lot easier to follow for me than one character at dueling time lines. Also I've never been the best at mysteries and understanding complex family trees and this one got insane.

@Dave Diddy I'm finally reading Three Body Problem now.

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Just bought Ruin of Kings myself

Vivatoto likes this.
  3. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Hell yeah man, it's such a great series. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Vivatoto likes this.
  4. Vivatoto

Back into the Malazan world with ICE's final novel in his prequel trilogy that just came out. My folder of maps and notes is ridiculous.

theagentcoma and tucah like this.
  5. tucah

not champ Prestigious

after a month off i'm finally about to start house of chains

theagentcoma and Vivatoto like this.
  6. Vivatoto

Make sure that you try to read the first Act in as close to one sitting as possible. It's one straight up story and it's one of the series best moments. I heard an interview with Erickson where he said people were complaining that he couldn't write a straight narrative with a single protagonist so he did this to prove them wrong, lol.

theagentcoma and tucah like this.
  7. tucah

not champ Prestigious

yep, this specifically is why i took so long to start it, i've heard this before. been busy and just haven't had the time to sit down with 250-300 pages in a sitting. i'm really excited, don't think a day has gone by where i haven't thought about memories of ice since i finished.

theagentcoma and Vivatoto like this.
  8. Garrett

I wish I could get into these as much as y’all

theagentcoma likes this.
  9. Vivatoto

I thought the books got much better so I’d say there’s still time.

The Lucky Moose and theagentcoma like this.
  10. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I loved this. I'm sure it confused the heck out of a bunch of readers because it was such a shift narrative wise, but I enjoyed it.

Also why y'all gotta get me thinking about Malazan when I'm knee-deep in Stormlight

11. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

The Tethered Mage (Swords and Fire, #1) by Melissa Caruso

Reading this right now and I love it.

Before this I read the “The Seventh Sword” series by Dave Duncan, which is really cool in some ways, but also occasionally off putting and not nearly as good the ”Pandemia” books.

12. Garrett

Just finished The Ruin of Kings. What an unique book. Very interested to see where it goes from here and how she keeps up the format.

Vivatoto and theagentcoma like this.
  13. Vivatoto

Yeah I had no idea it was coming but was lucky enough that I was in a position where I didn't have to put it down.

Now is the best time for Malazan and catching up on ICE because the sequel trilogy is set to start August 2020 and I noticed that Erickson totally released the prologue awhile ago (but I haven't read it yet)

theagentcoma likes this.
  14. Vivatoto

Kellanved's Reach was excellent. Just one huge moment of fan service after another, in the best way possible. Hell I even got to see Whiskey Jack get his name. It is insane how differently you will look at Kellanved and Surly after reading it. Like, EVERYTHING more or less makes sense now.

Also it says on the back that ICE is working on another novel set in the Malazan world so I'm glad that this is the gift that keeps on giving.

theagentcoma likes this.
  15. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Any fans of the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series by Tad Williams in here...?

I am looking to start a new series in audiobook for driving / relaxing, and I think I may have narrowed it down to this one.

I end up being somewhat choosy only because audiobooks are so expensive. Not that they aren't a worthy investment, but they are pricey for me.

16. The Lucky Moose May 20, 2019
    (Last edited: May 21, 2019)
    The Lucky Moose

They’re a lot cheaper if you sign up for Audible, in case you haven’t already.

And yes, I have read that series, including the two new books. It is amazing.

Brother Beck likes this.
  17. Dave Diddy

Yeah Audible is great, also Google play has pretty good prices and does a lot of sales and doesn't require a subscription

18. The Lucky Moose

You can susbscribe to Audible for one month (or get a trial) and then buy as many books as you want for 10$ each. In general you get one a month but each additional one is 10$ each, which is a lot cheaper than normal. You really buy them too, it’s not a “yours until you unsubscribe” thing.

19. Dave Diddy

I've used audible for years and I'm not familiar with this 10 dollars each thing you're talking about? There's a a gold plan for 1 book a month for 15 dollars or the platinum which is 2 for 23 dollars a month. Then any additional books you want to buy is at a 30% discount off the original price of an audiobook. Not calling you a liar but I'd be curious where you got the 10 dollar thing?

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  20. The Lucky Moose May 21, 2019
    (Last edited: May 21, 2019)
    The Lucky Moose

That might be a regional thing then. Over here (we use Audible.de), you pay 10€ a month plus 10€ per additional book. Or, more accurately, you can buy additional credits for 10€ each, which are good for one book each.

21. Dave Diddy

Ah okay. I've never really looked into buying additional credits so maybe that's true everywhere. I just know they advertise that 30% discount off of books as an additional perk. I just stick to my 1 book a month and then try to find some books for like 5 dollars when they do their sales.

22. The Lucky Moose

They do “half a credit” sales here, so 5€ per book. Some books are always half a credit, I think. You can also buy books without buying credits, I think, but only if you’re not a subscriber. That’s usually significantly more expensive than buying credits though, as those are always 10€ and a book is never more than one credit. I don’t know if Audible.com does it like that or not. I never before considered the possibility that they are significantly different in that regard depending on the region.

23. Garrett

You can buy three packs of credits for like $33 on audible.com if you run out of your subscription ones

24. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

This is all fantastic information. Thank you so much. The full price audiobooks for the type of longish fantasy books I like were always just too much for me to get more than one every once in a while.

Dave Diddy and The Lucky Moose like this.
  25. Garrett

I have close to 200 books in my audible library. It’s really married my love of reading with the pace of life and I’m very grateful