Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Fantasy/Sci-Fi Books Thread Book • Page 10

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by The Lucky Moose, Oct 30, 2016.

1. GBlades

Trusted

Just bought the absolutely gorgeous Illustrated Books of Earthsea. A beautiful book for a beautiful series. Cannot wait to dive in to this again!

2. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I saw that and it looks great. Never read the books but I did but the first one on Kindle a month or two ago

3. GBlades

Trusted

Yeah, the first is a great short book however Le Guin manages to fill so much story and lore that I just enjoyed the heck out of it. I got paid so I thought I'd branch out and get the Illustrated Edition!

ChaseTx likes this.
  4. tucah

not champ Prestigious

as usually happens when i decide to sit down and get into a book, had a week or so delay but finally started memories of ice again and got past the little i read before, about a third of the way through now. i liked deadhouse gates enough (mostly because of the huge jump in erikson's prose, which is just wonderful of course) but man, i'm just way more into these characters than i ever really was most of the other crew. there's already some pretty incredible setup and background lore that i assume ripples throughout the rest of the series (particularly crippled god stuff based on the title of the final book) and i cherish each moment spent with quick ben and rake and whiskeyjack and even the new capustan group. 100% back in the swing of things now.

Vivatoto likes this.
  5. GBlades

Trusted

Y'know, one day I will have the time, attention span and mind-set to re-read Malazan. It will be a glorious feat but I will need some time to do so.

6. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

Hello yes has anyone read The Ruin of Kings yet and if not please get on it. It's incredible.

nomemorial likes this.
  7. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Got a B&N gift card I plan on throwing at this. Really excited for this one once I catch up with what I have on my shelf.

FlayedManOfSF likes this.
  8. tucah

not champ Prestigious

memories of ice was phenomenal and that last act was just unbelievable - wonderfully fast paced (maybe the quickest i've ever read 100 pages), countless memorable moments, some of the most emotional sequences of the series. loved it. starting the next book tonight, hopefully won't take me three or four weeks this time.

theagentcoma and Vivatoto like this.
  9. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

so how do you feel about losing Whiskeyjack? I’m glad you’ve met Kallor...maybe the most reprehensible character of all time, have fun with him lol.

theagentcoma likes this.
  10. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I really would have loved to spend more time with him, especially more of the Whiskeyjack/Rake friendship, but I'd been expecting his death all book between some ominous goodbyes and way too many mentions of him refusing to get his leg fixed for that not to factor in somewhere. Also if there's one thing I've learned about this series, it's that I'm not counting out seeing Whiskeyjack in some form in the future. I fucking hate Kallor and look forward to continuing to hate Kallor in the future.

theagentcoma and Vivatoto like this.
  11. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

About to start The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon and it is thicc.

12. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

My favorite in the series. The scenes of combat in Capustan are something else. And Itkovian....my man.

Vivatoto likes this.
  13. theagentcoma

finally finished The Hero of Ages. Not at all what I was expecting as far as an ending, but I still enjoyed it.

Slight breather.....then.....Stormlight?

14. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Not required necessarily but I would suggest reading Warbreaker at some point before Words of Radiance.

theagentcoma likes this.
  15. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Mother. Fucking. Sazed.

16. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I've gotta decide what to read next. Start Game of Thrones, continue WOT with The Dragon Reborn, Dark Tower IV

Lots of options

17. Garrett

Dragon Rebornnnnnnnnn

ChaseTx likes this.
  18. GBlades

Trusted

Yeah, continue WoT.

19. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Any thoughts on The Long Price Quartet? I know nothing about it except having seen the author's name around before and I was able to get a paperback with all 4 books for crazy cheap. After I finish off First Law stuff I'm going to read Ruin of Kings then probably start it.

20. theagentcoma

um so I picked up Way of Kings for $3 today

coleslawed, Garrett L. and GBlades like this.
  21. GBlades

Trusted

What a bargain! Get that started (if you haven't already)

Has anyone read Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennett??

theagentcoma likes this.
  22. Garrett

You wouldn’t regret spending $50 on it haha

theagentcoma and GBlades like this.
  23. theagentcoma

holy HELL

I only read the first 3 chapters of Way of Kings but good golly it's amazing and I'm already completely taken with it. This Sanderson guy, he knows his magic systems.

coleslawed and Garrett L. like this.
  24. Garrett

Kaladin :heart:
    Dalinar :heart:
    Adolin :heart:

25. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

Everyone should read The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon. Soooooooo goooooooood.