Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Familiar (Mark Z. Danielewski) Book • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I was SO mad at him

2. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I had to read the last page again because I was like did he really fuckin do that? lol

The build up to that moment and the cat entering the room is a great example of Danielewksi's style working at its best.

3. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I was also so upset when he selfishly started mistranslating what Tian Li was saying because he wanted it so badly to be about him

Vivatoto likes this.
  4. Vivatoto

"I can't hear anything." "We can." "uh, that's so uncool?"
    Then 415...what the fuuck

5. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I'm at work and don't have my copy so I don't know which part that's referencing

You're right that it truly feels like a finale. The narcon interruptions/breaches are so fascinating to me, even if I can't fully wrap my head around the implications. I really need to go back and read the part in V1 where their parameters are laid out

6. Vivatoto

It's interesting that each chapter has now taken on a structure of continuing the narrative/flashing back to the big event of the last chapter and giving it a new pov/ then returning to the present narrative. It confused the hell out of me the first time with Anwar because I was wondering why no one was reacting to him. I don't remember this happening much before but then again this is really the first time pov characters have been around each other.

7. Vivatoto

I was speaking of a Narcon interuption, maybe the first big one this book The narcons talking about how Xanther is hearing the translations, and someone is overwriting/determining communication. I also haven't noticed before how much one of the Narcon's talks like Xanther

8. Vivatoto

Hmmm...Cricket's role is certainly interesting. her description is also slightly familiar

Also loved the red and green Cas page.

9. Vivatoto

Cas getting attacked was so ridiculously intense.

10. Vivatoto

Yeah Redwood is incredible. Best yet, by far. Season two can't come soon enough. I've been all in since the beginning but this really cements it.

11. This is so upsetting. I would absolutely contribute to a crowdfunding campaign or whatever to keep this series going.

Joel likes this.
  12. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

NO. NO. NO. NO.

NO.

13. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I'm legit close to crying at work

14. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

I still haven't finished the last book cause I haven't been emotionally ready, now knowing it could be the series ending , I'm not sure I've I'll ever be able to finish it :(

Joel likes this.
  15. matthaber

This breaks my heart

Joel likes this.
  16. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

When he says the series is "on pause" I wonder if he had reason to not address it with more finality. I need some sort of hope that they might re-evaluate it with future sales/crowdfunding etc. I can't say I'm shocked as it has virtually no mass appeal, but I'm gonna try and be optimistic that it might (at least) get picked back up digitally or something.

These books mean so much to me and it really is my favorite piece of art released across any medium, I'm realllllllllly sad

17. I'm sure he's leaving the door slightly open for the series to continue, whether through another publisher or independently - although I'm sure the latter is more likely. It does seem like it would be perfect for a Patreon-type model.

Joel likes this.
  18. Vivatoto

God fucking dammit this is the worst

19. Joel Feb 9, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 9, 2018)
    Joel

Trusted Prestigious

matthaber likes this.
  20. matthaber

21. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

yeah, I'm super bummed about that haha. I for now have unfollowed (seriously, do 1000 people need to post a picture that they own a copy of the book) but we'll see, at this point I can't imagine the conversation/analysis will be nearly as interesting as the TF group and the worthwhile stuff will be MUCH harder to find

Also, maybe if all these "MZD SUPERFANS" had bought his new series it wouldn't be cancelled. I'm a tad bitter

matthaber likes this.
  22. matthaber

yo for real. i hope the reading group at least brings light to the familiar, so at least some of those peeps pick it up.

I hope the people in the familiar one just discuss HoL there cause i much prefer less people having more a conversation than just hundreds giving there one sentence thoughts (which im afraid of what itll become)

23. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I'll probably suggest it at some point before it starts, I learned so much from the TF group and even having read HoL a few times I would love that same level of analysis. The recurring Minotaur motif and other parallels to Greek mythology is fascinating to me but I'm sure a lot of it goes way over my head. I could rant for hours about my surface level reads of HoL so I can only imagine what could be unearthed.

That being said, if THIS many people care about House so long after it's release, it really could incite a demand for unhitting the dreaded pause button on TF so I'm all for it. The fact that I might never know what happens to Xanther fucks me up daily. It's weird to be so attached to the series but it feels like a really personal loss at this point given what it's meant to me and how it's changed the way I look at the medium

24. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

mark.jpg

Vivatoto, matthaber and troyplaysbass like this.
  25. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

my heart right now

matthaber likes this.