Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Familiar (Mark Z. Danielewski) Book • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Mar 17, 2016.

1. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

been in this facebook group for like 2 weeks now, im amazed at how active it is. I seriously dont have time to read all the posts. This is exactly what I wanted though, as I tried following the reddit page for the familiar but it wasn't too active.

Joel likes this.
  2. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

SEASON 1 FINALE OUT TODAY, Y'ALL.

Re-starting yet another re-read today. I bought V4 and went through a reading slump and never got around to it, so I'm pretty jazzed that I have two "new" volumes waiting for me this week

matthaber likes this.
  3. matthaber

first thing im doing after work is grabbing volume 5 from chapters and reading it all night.

The fact that i am willing to put down mario for this says everything

4. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

make sure you spoiler tag that shit, I won't be caught up for a few days

matthaber likes this.
  5. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I still haven’t read the first one that’s on my shelf...

6. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I'm sure my excitement in this thread makes it obvious, but I would set some time aside for that...ASAP.

Joe4th likes this.
  7. matthaber

i will withhold all thoughts in this thread to you catch up.

Joel likes this.
  8. matthaber

what joel said. This series is straight up one of my favourite things ever. Its a must read

Joel and Joe4th like this.
  9. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

V1 down, feeling all the things all over again. Here we go, Into the Forest.

matthaber likes this.
  10. matthaber

im only like 7 chapters in, and theres so much i need to talk about!

even bringing up the production of this book compared to the others feels like a spoiler

11. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

As much as I knew what was coming, I still wasn't ready for The Mayor in V2 again. Fucking hell

12. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

So, re-approaching the end of V2 and its wild how much stuff I'm picking up on that I missed the first couple read throughs now with additional knowledge. This is one huge, terrifying puzzle.

so we find out Mefisto worked for Enzio as Anwar is just cracking Cataplyst-2. Is AAA (Recluse) behind Enzio and is Anwar unwittingly disarming the Orb code of walls Mefisto put up to protect it from falling into Recluse's hands? If so, I'm very scared for what's coming for Xanther, star of one of the clips.
    also in the comic spread of V2, Semtex(?) clearly has a copy of The Familiar and seems to be immortal? How does he have a copy of a book in a series I'm currently reading? The House of Leaves-esque implications are fucking with me big time

13. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Finished Honeysuckle and Pain again. That ending is beautiful and heartbreaking in ways I don't feel fully equipped to understand.

Also, that video chat between Cas and Alvin is so fucking unsettling. Him ending with call the state motto where they are...I was sweating

Welp, onto Hades for the first time and it feels like Christmas

14. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Ozgur and Elaine... "You betcha." I'm not crying you're crying

Next chapter is Astair and it's a long one so I decided that I'll save it for when I'm fresh faced tomorrow, should be on Redwood by tomorrow afternoon. Can't really think about much else right now so I don't imagine it will take me more than a couple days, not counting weeks of late night theorizing and Easter egg hunting to follow.

ALSO regarding HoL: TFv4 pg 528 "The last one coming by way of Kle by way of his brother Phinneas, who these days was in a real bad downward spiral. Supposedly something from a book. Something about myth. Stalking the herd. Slaughtering reason." Uh, is it just me or does he sound like he's going full Johnny Truant on us?

15. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Halfway through Redwood, holy fuck

16. I forgot to post in here when I finished Redwood, but that was about the moment when this became my favorite book in the series so far.

17. Joel Nov 30, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 30, 2017)
    Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Just finished. This is already the best thing I've ever read and it's only just beginning.

"They are entwined now. Part of the same diabolical mechanism. The only way to kill the cat is to kill the girl."
    All the while I assumed the eyes of fire referred to Recluse...but could it actually be Senex?

I'm reeling

18. matthaber

lifes been beating me up recently so i havent been able to finish this yet :( hoping to get to it soon. Got around 1/4th into it and loved everything about it. Truly felt like a season finale to a tv season

19. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

lol oh Matt you have no idea

20. matthaber

i watched an interview with MZD not to long ago where he implied the next season would be all new characters and ever since then ive been afraid everyone will die on the book :( or atleast their stories will end

21. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Had a bit of queue I had to get through, finally starting Redwood.

22. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Oh shit yes. Post thoughts in here, would love to finally talk about it

Vivatoto likes this.
  23. Vivatoto

It's so intense so far, starting with the phone call, then Anwars crazy intense conversation, now the terrible news at the Catholic vet. Already has that big finale feel to it. Also loved the New This Seasons, Caged Hunt always delivers and this was the best.

24. Vivatoto

"What is delight and warning
    when both are replaced by dread?"

25. Vivatoto

Wow the Jing Jing confrontation was perfect.