Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Familiar (Mark Z. Danielewski) Book

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Mar 17, 2016.

1. troyplaysbass Mar 17, 2016
    (Last edited: Feb 6, 2017)
  2. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I just bought volume one. I have some books ahead of it on my reading list, but I skimmed through it and it looks amazing.

Vivatoto likes this.
  3. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

So ready for Volume 3

Vivatoto likes this.
  4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Tried so hard to do this, but I couldn't even finish Vol 1

5. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Ready for some mofuckin honeysuckle and PAIN!!

coleslawed and Joel like this.
  6. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

TEN MORE DAYS omg

time to re-read V2

troyplaysbass likes this.
  7. I haven't been re-reading between volumes, but I'd kind of like to. Maybe I'll go through the first three again right before volume four comes out.

8. Vivatoto

Honeysuckle and Pain showed up today. Probably going to start this weekend or tomorrow.

9. Bought mine on Tuesday. I've got about 115 pages left in Wizard and Glass, then I can start this.

Vivatoto likes this.
  10. Vivatoto

First time reading Wizard and Glass? What do you think?

11. Liz

Ew, David

My friend wants me to start reading these but I've been trying to read House of Leaves for two years now so idk

12. Yep, first time. I think it's really good, but I wasn't expecting it to be pretty much all flashback after wrapping up the cliffhanger from The Waste Lands. I can't imagine King fans were too excited about that after waiting so long between books.

Vivatoto likes this.
  13. Vivatoto

Haha, yeah it's best to go in prepared knowing that it's going to be pretty much entire Roland's backstory. I do wonder how people reacted at that time (it came out in 1997 so I would have been 7) especially since it was 6 years before Wolves came out. It's so fucking good though. Consider reading Wind Through the Keyhole before 5 but it's obviously not necessary.

14. I actually picked up The Wind Through the Keyhole along with Honeysuckle and Pain, so that's my plan. Since I started Dark Tower so long after it was all released, I tend to forget that there were ASOIAF amounts of time between most of the books.

15. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Getting paid tomorrow, first thing I'm buying.

WHADDUP MEFISTO

Vivatoto likes this.
  16. Vivatoto

Pretty tense first few chapters

17. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

didn't pre-order as I've never had an issue with street dates but not a single store in my city has it, do not want to wait

18. At 6:00 PM on release day, the Barnes and Noble I went to hadn't even put their copies out yet. I thought that was weird.

19. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I've bought each one of these on release but haven't read any of them yet.

They're beautiful looking books at least!

20. Vivatoto Jun 19, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 19, 2016)
    Vivatoto

I think Shnorhk interacts with one of the Narcons and shuts down their translation on page 233. Which is, like, the first time I recall the pov character and them mixing.

His gaming references are, like, usually accurate but he called The Last of Us a first person shooter.. like, yuck!

Oh shit, that ERROR on 453 is fucking with my head.

21. Vivatoto

"Do we miss not only the past but every future the lost past describes? Is that just the nature of missing? All the lost might-have-beens? The certainty that those uncertain futures are gone?

If we can't embrace uncertainty do we miss the point of love?"

22. Vivatoto

Finished book 3. Definitely starting to get some, like, answers and there seems to be at least something, big or small, connecting all of the stories together now. Probably liked the Orb chapters the most this time, lots of, like, headway there.

I feel like the biggest wtf moments came from the ERRORS. Especially that last one.

23. Volume 4 has a title now: Hades

I forgot to post my thoughts on Volume 3 here when I finished it, but I thought it was great. I'd love another full Narcon section like Volume 1 had, but the errors were really interesting. Xanther remains my favorite character to read, and her last chapter was probably my favorite section of the series so far.

Vivatoto likes this.
  24. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Reading through 3 right now, about a third in. So thrilled with it, love all the narcons questioning each other. Also noticed one distinct point where Xanther used something one had said as if she may be in tune to them or something? Unsure but can't wait to keep going. Just pacing myself because it's such a bummer when it's over

25. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

Finished House of Leaves for the first time today, one of the best experiences Ive had reading a book. Right after finishing it I went online and read fan theories of the narrative, and my mind is blown. So much of this book went over my head but that doesnt even matter to me because it just means I can go into my (one day eventual) 2nd read of it with a new perspective. Reading this was like reading a Grant Morrison comic to me.

Gonna start reading this series next, hopefully it goes well for me.

troyplaysbass and Vivatoto like this.