Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The EU Referendum • Page 5

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by StevenW92, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

In the event of IndyRef2 passing what would that mean for English people living in Scotland?

2. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

3. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

The world economy is so interlinked, especially with the UK, which is (for now) a trade hub, that something like this can lead to a world wide recession. So far, the early signs allready aren't looking good. Just think about it this way: one bank (initially) going up in flames in the US led to the worst recession since the great depression. Britain is bit a more important (the fifth largest economy in the world, although I have just read that the fallout of this already led to France overtaking them as the fifth largest) than just one bank, not to mention the fact that this hurts the EU, which, when seen as whole (so all members combined), is the largest economy in the world.

Mind you, it doesn't have to escalate into something horrible, but it can.

4. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

And the people who voted to leave didn't think this would happen?

5. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

I've been ridiculously busy at work today, what has the muppet been back-tracking on?

I still can't believe what the outcome was, we've seriously gone an fucked it and all off an conservative promise that they used just to win potential ukip voters.

6. The Lucky Moose Jun 24, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 24, 2016)
    The Lucky Moose

Well it's not like people haven't been saying this, but apparently 37.5% of the British electorate does not care, does not know, or does not believe it. Also: good old racism makes people do dumb stuff.

7. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

the leave campaign was driven by fear, lies, uncertainty and rejection of expertise and facts.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  8. The Lucky Moose

Something "let's not be hasty" something blah blah blah. It sounds like he shat his pants just a little facing the monetary fact this morning. Maybe they'll come to their senses and not go through with it.

9. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

says there's no haste in invoking article 50. EU saying the opposite.
    says "...indeed does it mean that it will be any less European... that this decision involves pulling up a drawbridge or some sort of isolationism - I think the opposite is true. We cannot turn our backs on Europe. We are part of Europe."

to me, it seems like he's getting ready to tell the people that voted out they can't have what they voted for.

10. The Lucky Moose

As horrible as that would be in it's own right, it's still the best outcome we can hope for I think.

11. devenstonow

Noobie

Ignorant American here, I've heard that this is a non-binding vote, so what would happen if, seeing that this (so far) has had a negative economic impact, the British government essentially ignores the vote? Or is that realistically out of the realm of possibility?

Also does this mean David Cameron fucked up in that he made this a 'real' vote as opposed to just an inquiry or something for public opinion?

12. The Lucky Moose

Well they said they would not do that, and they probably meant it at some point, but the mood of the population (though one could even question if 37.5% of the electorate represent the mood of the country anyway) could change very fast when facing the very real consequences that are already taking place, which would probably open all doors again.

Referendums on big topics like this are questionable anyway, especially in countries that do not have a political culture equipped to deal with them (unlike, for example, Switzerland).

13. StevenW92

Regular

It can be ignored but now that Cameron has stood down he will likely be replaced by a brexiter. They will then decide what they want to negotiate with the rest of Europe and the leaving process will begin. That will only happen once Cameron has stood down.

14. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

the EU won't pre-negotiate with the UK. article 50 negotiations won't even involve the UK.

15. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

It's probably best to put it
    Thanks, it doesn't surprise me, the only reason Boris went leave was because he saw an opportunity to spearhead it and take over from Cameron if Leave won, he was pro EU only a couple of years ago.

16. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Have had a ball of anger/anxiety in my stomach since 6:30am when i found out. Seeing some 'brexiters' laughing & joking about it almost made me snap & throttle them, because I know for a fact immigration was the deciding factor for them. Fucking roaches.

If it's a new PM in October, our budget-store version of Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, will be in office before Trump gets in won't he?

SpyKi likes this.
  17. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

they've also said that leaving the EU changes nothing with regards to immigration. and the promised money to the NHS was a lie.

SpyKi likes this.
  18. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I've already seen people on Facebook regretting their vote.

19. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Braveheart 2!!

20. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Trump won't be president, don't worry

21. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I'd fight with the Scottish with a big blue line on my face. I'm only down if it's swords though.

22. devenstonow

Noobie

I mean, IMO it's kinda hard to have sympathy for them.

DarkHotline, Nick and George like this.
  23. devenstonow

Noobie

A Russian guy at my work was just told they left the EU and immediately was like, "what the fuck!?"

Nick likes this.
  24. StevenW92

Regular

That was my reaction when it became apparent leave would win.

25. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Single Irish people in the UK are now the most attractive in the land >-p