Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Eternals (Chloé Zhao, November 5, 2021) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by GBlades, May 15, 2019.

1. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

The biggest problem this movie will have is convincing normal, non comic knowledgeable people to go see it, calling it now

2. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Yeah maybe it's because I know nothing about The Eternals in the comics, but this trailer did nothing to sell me on it

Oskarr likes this.
  3. Furry Werthers

Trusted

I know plenty about the Eternals in the comics and the trailer did nothing for me as well, so :shrug:

drewinseries and RyanPm40 like this.
  4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

It’s a Marvel movie after a pandemic. It’ll do fine.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  5. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

6. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Lots of cool stuff here

7. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Do you think any of the Eternals were blipped? Or are they above that?

8. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I don’t think they’re above the infinity stones but I don’t think any were snapped either. They all got the lucky roll of the dice

xapplexpiex likes this.
  9. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I can see why people are saying the trailer did nothing for them...I just watched it finally and I feel like I know literally nothing about this movie still lol. Hopefully future trailers are better

Furry Werthers and RyanPm40 like this.
  10. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I mean... a god-like race called Eternals watch humanity and decide to intervene. The trailer showed the style (I guess I would say) and the premise.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  11. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

And it seems like this is going to be more about the mythology of the MCU, as well as some higher concept ideas. Not bad to ease people into it

coleslawed likes this.
  12. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

It’s so funny to see a studio release a great tone-setting trailer full of intriguing imagery that doesn’t give anything away about the plot, and then the audience reacts with “this trailer didn’t tell me enough”.

In the age of trailers that give away the entire movie, this teaser was a breath of fresh air.

13. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I mean, I personally didn't like it because it was boring lol.

Furry Werthers likes this.
  14. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I’d agree it’s good for a trailer not to show much when it’s for something like Spider-Man or Captain America where we know the characters already. With the Eternals I was hoping for a bit more since most people know next to nothing about them. Even reading the characters bios on Wikipedia seemed like a lot.

Furry Werthers likes this.
  15. Furry Werthers

Trusted

The tonal shift to the line about Iron Man and Cap was reeeeeeeeeeaaaaally jarring to me, as well.

Just feels so weird to me. Like, the trailer portrays them as almost gods who have been in hiding for however long, but then they're like "what about Cap and the Avengers" and it's like *why* would they give the slightest shit?

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  16. Anthony_

They don’t give a shit, that’s why it’s funny. They’re talking about things that we as the audience have been conditioned to believe are extremely important in a way that makes them sound as trivial as who a sports teams will use to replace a star player that got traded away. For them, the question of who will lead the Avengers now that Iron Man and Cap are gone is nothing more than mundane small talk around the dinner table.

coleslawed and xapplexpiex like this.
  17. flask

Trusted Supporter

Don’t worry guys there’s still 2-3 trailers to come that will tell the entire story.

Anthony_ likes this.
  18. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

every marvel movie needs to have dumb "joss whedon-y" dialogue, that's why

19. Furry Werthers

Trusted

welp, it didn't play like that for me at all /shrug

20. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i didn’t mind the line but it’s definitely quippy dork shit they lean into too often

21. Anthony_ May 27, 2021
    (Last edited: May 27, 2021)
    Anthony_

I think it's pretty strong world- and character-building, and gets across in barely 20 seconds that despite being gods they are also a family, they joke with each other just like any family does, and yet they treat the life-and-death concerns of mortals as mere dinner table conversation. It might sound like "quippy dork shit" to some but that's a pretty reductive way to describe what's going on there. It's doing a great job of both humanizing them but also demonstrating how above humanity they really are. A lot gets communicated in that one short moment.

Let's give Chloe Zhao a little more credit here lol

22. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

anthony the line could have been “i poop out my butt and pee out my dingaling” and you’d find a way to justify it

23. Anthony_

k

24. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Eternals will no longer premiere on Disney+ and will only be in theaters

soggytime and RyanPm40 like this.
  25. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

well alright