Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Eternals (Chloé Zhao, November 5, 2021) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by GBlades, May 15, 2019.

1. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

right

2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Feige was saying they were going to make a big push for this movie before Zhao won two Oscars, you better believe now every single trailer will be playing up that angle. Plus it's coming out right in the middle of awards season.

3. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I'll believe it when I see it lol

RyanPm40 likes this.
  4. Anthony_

Whether it will be successful or not is another question entirely but they are going to try

5. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

6. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

GBlades and mike1885 like this.
  7. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

8. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

I have to say, this feels like the biggest swing Marvel Studios has taken yet.

That scene at the end almost feels like a concession to be like "SEE, WE'VE GOT JOKES!".

smowashere likes this.
  9. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I took it more as a “don’t worry this is definitely in the MCU”

xapplexpiex and blast0rama like this.
  10. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Some of these shots are fantastic. I’ll have to watch this in IMAX.

11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

This already looks like something I'm not all that interested in.

So of the shots remind me of The Fall, which is pretty cool.

12. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Not really looking forward to being introduced to a team of like 10 new characters but I’ll watch it because it will obviously somehow fit into the overall MCU narrative

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  13. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

very into it. looks fantastic.

Anthony_ likes this.
  14. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

This looks insane. I like the style of it.

15. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Richard Madden is too handsome.

CarpetElf likes this.
  16. Anthony_

Goddamn this trailer has me so hyped, Chloe definitely killed it

17. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

:fire::fire::fire:

18. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I still don’t really know what this is supposed to be about but damn that’s gorgeous

19. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Agreed. I know nothing about Eternals but this looks beautiful

20. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

A group of aliens called the Eternals fighting a bad group of aliens called the Deviants

DarkHotline and xapplexpiex like this.
  21. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Chloé Zhao literally just won Best Picture & Best Director at the Academy Awards a month ago, for a film released by the same parent company, and yet she’s still completely nonexistent in the marketing. Nowhere in the trailer; hidden in the standard small print at the bottom of the poster. So stupid, lol.

The Marvel Studios DNA is still in there, as one would expect. I’m sure it’ll be much more prevalent in the full film, particularly the third act. I was getting really skeptical of how much Zhao was gonna break through, though, so her fingerprints being this obvious in the teaser makes me happy. Lots of really cool stuff here.

If you’re curious about these characters and wanna do some reading beforehand, start with the Eternals comic by Neil Gaiman & John Romita Jr, which is just seven issues in one collected book. Then, jump on the current series by Kieron Gillen & Esad Ribić, which absolutely rules. (I do not recommend going straight to the original Jack Kirby stuff from the 70s right away unless you’re already a comics reader, lol; Kirby’s work after Stan Lee stopped editing him is an unbridled imagination that’s sometimes a lot to take in.)

22. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

come on lol

23. brothemighty May 24, 2021
    (Last edited: May 24, 2021)
    brothemighty

Trusted

Stan Lee didn't edit Kirby he took credit for all of his shit and refused to pay him

Lee would spend 5 minutes on the phone with Kirby to go over the basic plot, get one of the four twenty-page manuscripts per month that Kirby cranked out, type out the dialogue that Sam Rosen or Art Simek would painstakingly add in to the panels, and then sign his name in huge letters

24. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I mean, yeah. Being about 2/3 of the way through the biography True Believer: The Rise and Fall of Stan Lee, a lot of the deeper specifics of the man & his career are fresh in my mind. I didn’t bring it up ‘cause it wasn’t relevant to that one post’s recommendations, but yeah, Stan sucks in a lot of major ways and was never the creative he painted himself as.

That being said, it’s pretty hard to argue that his influence wasn’t there in Marvel’s 60s work. I intentionally used the word “edit” instead of “write” because, while imperfect, it feels like the best descriptor for that slapdash, ripe-for-abuse “Marvel Method” of the day. But, just looking at the creative part of the puzzle, I can clearly see the shift from Fantastic Four to Mister Miracle. I’m an issue away from completing Captain Victory (the end of the story he was telling through Thor, New Gods, & Eternals), and, like...

That late career Kirby is fucking brilliant imo, but someone who’s never read a comic in their adult life, or who has only read people like Bendis, is gonna really struggle with it, lol. Hence me recommending the Gaiman’s & Gillen’s stuff first.

25. drewinseries

Drew

Felt really underwhelmed by this trailer TBH.

Furry Werthers, Oskarr and RyanPm40 like this.