Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Eternal Cringe Thread • Page 30

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Shrek, Jul 6, 2017.

1. I once considered taking flying lessons as some sort of fucked up exposure therapy for my crippling fear of heights, then I saw the cost. I do think firsthand experience in understanding how it all works would help me a lot though

Zach and Ken like this.
  2. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Yes sir! Many years on there and avsim too. Worked for fly tampa and maam sim

Ben likes this.
  3. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Yeah thankfully you only need 1500 hours now technically. I plan on needing to instruct until 2000 though probably before I can get hired at an airline, since I don’t have a degree :( . You still in Arizona?

Surprisingly planes themselves aren’t that crazy (like 30-50), but the avionics are stupid expensive.

Funnily enough, I actually do not like heights (hate rides like Tower of Terror). I will say even doing a quick 45 minute intro flight will alleviate a lot of your worry if you are not a fan of flying in general. Being in control once, really helps you understand that the plane will not fall out of the sky haha

Sorry @marsupial jones it won’t happen again lol

trevorshmevor and Ken like this.
  4. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Oh shit that is sick. That was my life from like 2004-2008 lol. Spent way too much damn money on payware when I was in high school.

Ken likes this.
  5. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

I’m deathly afraid of heights myself and my stepdad got me flight lessons for my 13th birthday. I never used them. Looking back it would have been fun but honestly I don’t think I could’ve done it then or now. I can’t even stand on a step ladder without getting lightheaded lol

Zach likes this.
  6. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

No, I’m living in PA now haha.
    Same! I produced a ton of AFCADs and weaseled my way into getting some payware for free haha. I was active from 2000-2007 or so. I flew on vatsim for twva

Zach and Ben like this.
  7. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Damn Ken, didn’t know you were a pilot.

Always kind of regret I never went for flying lessons and getting a license when I was younger. After being a hockey player, a fighter pilot was my dream job as a kid haha

Ken and Zach like this.
  8. Zach

Trusted Supporter

If I’m in your neck of the woods in the future we should get up there at least once!

Ken likes this.
  9. Zach

Trusted Supporter

I went to a the WW2 museum in New Orleans like two years ago and got vertigo on the plane display looking down because the top part (probably a good 100/150 feet) you walk on a wide catwalk basically lol. Not a fan of heights

10. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I would absolutely love that! It's been a few years since I've been up, so I'm not current, but I bet I could shoot an ILS with my eyes closed haha.

I'm sort of, what you might call, a renaissance man. ;-)

11. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Is there anything that @Ken can't do?

12. Mr. Serotonin Oct 22, 2020
    (Last edited: Oct 22, 2020)
    Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I bet he can’t dunk on me, physically, with a basketball on a regulation size goal.

bigmike, Ken and dadbolt like this.
  13. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

:embarrassed:

Don't forget to tape your ankles before you show up to the court.

Mr. Serotonin, bigmike and dadbolt like this.
  14. Mr. Serotonin

Tape that dirty mouth of yours you trash talkin **** :crylaugh:

dadbolt, bigmike and Ken like this.
  15. Zach

Trusted Supporter

You have instrument training too? You gotta get that rating! If you do a 141 training program, you only need 35 hours of instrument training. None of that “50 hours of cross-country PIC time” crap

Ken likes this.
  16. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I have 10-15 hours I think of instrument training already. Flying isn't in my budget at the moment, sadly. Hopefully in a few years! Because of flying on VATSIM, a lot of instrument work is second nature to me and my PPL instructor used to yell at me for keeping my eyes too much inside the cockpit haha.

Zach and jorbjorb like this.
  17. Mr. Serotonin Oct 23, 2020
    (Last edited: Oct 23, 2020)
    Mr. Serotonin

I’m an unlicensed pilot if anyone ever wants to take a ride and has a plane or chopper I could borrow. I’m also an unregistered nurse so you can be sure you’re safe with me.

18. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Thank you, Doctor

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  19. Mr. Serotonin

It’s my duty.
    -Dr. Mr. Serotonin, RS, Esquire

bigmike and Ken like this.
  20. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Thank you @angrycandy for linking this to me!

no cringe in almost a year? I shall think not.

story below didn’t happen to me but I got hit by the shrapnel of it:

conference call with around 30-35 people, maybe half of which are external customers to our company. A newer woman to our company was doing introductions and talking about holiday weekend plans and mentioned something like, “birthday party this week, next week, and the following week” and someone asked, “people you know or all your kids or what that’s a lot of parties” and she said, “no, all my kids” guy responds, “wow! How many kids do you have?” (Awkward already by asking that with so many people on the call, again, many of them customers we have rarely talked to or met) and she responds with, “we have 7 kids” and the same guy immediately says, “wow! Busier than rabbits over there!”

to hear the chuckle that came after from him turn into a death rattle of anxious panic will forever be burned into my memory. And the fucking mass SILENCE that may still be going on to this very day makes my skin crawl just thinking about it. I literally walked away from my phone for about 20 minutes so not sure who said something or how the meeting started.

21. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

wow

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  22. Mr. Serotonin

Sounds like they do be f***in' tho. Very apt observation :crylaugh:

23. Alright so I’ve been driving up the coast for two days, on my third day and I’m exhausted. Just had to say that before getting to this lol

I just left my hotel and stopped off at a Starbucks across the street for a quick coffee before I hit the road. I’m in the drive thru and there’s a line. I get to the menu and I’m waiting for the person to prompt me to start giving my order. I hear this super tiny voice that *sounds* as though it’s speaking full volume, but like the speaker is broken or something. Since there’s a line I can’t tell whether she’s asking me to give her a minute or if she’s trying to get my order. So I’m like, “Sorry, what was that?”

A few second pass and I hear the voice again. Cant make it out. I don’t really know what to do so I start saying my order and hoping I’m not being an asshole. She cuts me off but I can’t hear wtf she said. So I’m like “dude I’m sorry, I’m having trouble hearing you, can you say that again?” And just then the guy in front of me sticks his head out the window and goes “hey! You’re not at the speaker!”

And it was then that my tired ass realized I was at the stupid little pre-menu part of the drive thru where it gives you a menu without a speaker to take your order. Lmfao. So the voice was far away and inconsistent because the person in front of me was the person currently ordering.

24. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I get second hand awkwardness watching acquaintances on social media try to become influencers or mommy bloggers. It's totally fine like chase that money honestly I'd love to get sent free products and get validation from others lmao thats not the awkward part to me. The cringey part is more while they don't rly have followers yet but kinda have to pretend they do and that they're speaking to them when they make content. I have an old acquaintance who posts tons of pics of her kids every day and she'll be like "since so many of you have been asking me how I do X thing with my kids..." and will give advice on something but legit her posts don't have any comments except like the kids' grandparents saying they love them. and they don't have many likes and I'm just like I'm sorry but who asked??? I wish them the best but idk how to avoid the startup phase feeling awkward or contrived unless maybe u go viral first and have a base watching that way?

Idk maybe I'm a jerk and they're actually v successful and get lots of questions PM'd and I need to mind my business

25. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

That reminds me of the one dude that would do DJ livestreams during lockdown and he would have like 2 people watching. He kept doing it though.