Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Emotionally Exhausting Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Lucas27, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Lucas27

Trusted

2015 brought albums like Sufjan Steven's Carrie & Lowell, Julien Baker's Sprained Ankle, and Foxing's Dealer among others. Reflecting on these, it made me wonder...what are the most emotionally exhausting (a.k.a. toughest) albums to listen to in everyone's eyes?

Basically, the album equivalent of a film like Schindler's List or Requiem for a Dream where it's amazing but you probably can't immerse yourself in it every day.

Or maybe you can. It just never fails to break you every time.

Go.

2. George

Trusted Prestigious

The Seer by Swans is the most exhausting album I've listened to. I think it's wonderful, but it's a grueling and long listen...

3. Collins

Trusted

i don't know if there is an album that front to back I would consider emotionally exhausting, but Wildlife from La Dispute and Devil and God from Brand New come to mind.

That being said, Honest Wage by Penny and Sparrow is easily the most difficult song for me to listen to. The rest of the album is easy to get through though. It helps that it's the closer.

4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

To Pimp a Butterfly

5. Lucas27

Trusted

I'd never heard Penny and Sparrow til now but seriously digging that album right now. Really haunting song. Those lyrics are incredible.

6. Jose

weightless in the valley

Afraid of Ghosts by Butch Walker. Personally, that one breaks me about halfway through.

Iago and Craig Manning like this.
  7. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

Sunbather by Deafheaven probably.

8. Laura

Bozo did the dub Prestigious

Both The Lack Long After and Keep You from Pianos Become the Teeth. And yet I listen to both constantly.

9. inspectorkemp

a literal succubitch

At the moment it's gotta be anything by The Wonder Years for me. Probably nothing compared to the rest of the albums in this thread but all I know is the way that talk about how much growing up sucks really gets to me somehow I had to take a break from binging them for the past few days because their lyrics were depressing the shit out of me.

10. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

My go to sad album would be Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton - Knives Don't Have Your Back

bedwettingcosmo and Threads like this.
  11. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Hospice by The Antlers. Gotta take that one a bit at a time.

12. Lucas27

Trusted

Obviously mentioned this already, but listening again and Sufjan's Carrie & Lowell just never ceases to give me that pit of the stomach feeling. It's such a raw depiction of grief. Hospice by The Antlers hits me in a similar way, but still not quite as much as C&L.

Another album that is absolutely draining is Levi the Poet's Seasons. Half of it is spoken word with no music but it's done in such a way that even those pieces feel like "songs". Some really difficult stuff that hits nerves I didn't know I even had. "Is anyone my age still afraid of a black night? And do you run in the dark in a panic for the light?"

I also concur with The Devil & God and find ACB's Come Now Sleep to be absolutely exhausting. I can't listen to either of those constantly despite considering them two of my favorites of all time.

13. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Basically anything by Sun Kil Moon. Like, I almost have to be in a mood to listen to that. Love Mark, but it's not necessarily sunny day music.

OotyPa likes this.
  14. Collins

Trusted

Glad you dig it man! Their new album that came out this year is really good as well. I'm not a big fan of the first three tracks but it hits it's stride at track 4 and doesn't let up for the rest of the record. There's also nothing as emotionally taxing as Honest Wage which is nice haha.

I think I'll start a thread for them actually, not sure how popular it will be here but I think some people on this site will love them.

Lucas27 likes this.
  15. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Almost every Xiu Xiu album. Half are emotionally exhausting and the other half are exhausting because they're bad albums.

16. Lucas27

Trusted

I read the lyrics for Benji a little while back after hearing so many good things about it, but after reading "I Can't Live Without My Mother's Love" I could never bring myself to listen to it. Hits way too close to home.

OotyPa likes this.
  17. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

If you ever do work yourself up to it, I highly suggest Benji. It's actually a really beautiful album in a lot of respects, but I can completely understand if a run down of the lyrics turns you off for personal reasons.

18. Lucas27

Trusted

Honestly, it's because I connect to the lyrics so much that I know it'd be beautiful but also know I need to be ready. Haha. I'm super close with my mom in similar ways and her health has always been poor. I've shared Mark's exact sentiments and I'm just not sure I can listen to those sentiments set to music. Very rare for me because sad music is my bread and butter (hence this thread).

Steve_JustAGuy likes this.
  19. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

[​IMG]
    I can't even listen to it anymore.

20. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

This is at the top of the list for me. One of the few albums I have never successfully gotten through without tearing up. I love it so much, but it definitely doesn't get as much play as most of my other favorites from last year, just because it hits so hard. It will probably always be the album I put on first on the anniversary of my Grandpa's passing, though. I did that last year and it was one of the most incredible listening experiences I've ever had, to any album.

Jose likes this.
  21. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Other than Butch, probably:

Bruce - Tunnel of Love
    Jason Isbell - Southeastern
    The Promise of Redemption - When the Flowers Bloom
    City and Colour - Sometimes

22. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Definitely the last two Pianos Become the Teeth records, especially the Lack Long After.

23. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Last one I can remember listening to was the s/t Giles Corey record.

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  24. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

25. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
    Damien Rice - My Favourite Faded Fantasy
    The Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace Is There
    La Dispute - Wildlife and Rooms of the House
    Pianos Become the Teeth - Keep You

Just the first few I thought of off the top of my head.