Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Emo Thread Genre • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jul 5, 2018.

1. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

Fog Lake album is very good. I can’t wrap my head around the AF hype tbh, I enjoyed the last album a whole lot more.

Don’t let this Dags album get lost in the previous thread. They made it to the states for a super short tour last year and were incredible live.

2. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

algae likes this.
  3. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

This is still one of my favorite albums of the year:

4. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I havnt heard it! What’s it like?

KidLightning likes this.
  5. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

There are string sections, all you need to know.

teebs41 and KidLightning like this.
  6. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Elements of Sorority Noise, IIOI, and TWIABP, plus some great strings and piano. It gets a bit experimental with some post-rock and indie-folk songs too. And they don’t stick with one sound for too long, which keeps it interesting.

7. akkeri

OK, serious question from a newbie (who lurked on Absolute Punk for years). When I was a teenager I listened pretty much exclusively to what I consider to be third-wave emo. I came up during the late 90s, early 00s – the era defined by albums like American Football, Clarity, Something To Write Home About etc. These days I'm pretty disconnected from the punk scene (I'm 32 years old – ancient!) although I do still follow all the bands I listened to back then (many of whom have reformed in the past few years). So my question is: is there consensus about what came after the third wave? What wave are we up to now? There's been a resurgence in the Midwest emo sound in recent years, right?

sean_rugy likes this.
  8. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

There was emo revival years back and now there's a whole mess of bands that loosely fit into to 'emo'. Music scenes are rarely organized neatly until years after they've ended, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Lot of midwestern emo sounding bands if that's what you like.

sean_rugy likes this.
  9. akkeri

I guess I'm more curious about what people mean when they say 'emo' in 2018. This is an emo thread, but are we talking about Rites of Spring in here? haha

These days, does 'emo' signify certain sounds/influences (midwestern sounds, I'm guessing) or is it more about attitude?

Thanks for educating me :)

sean_rugy likes this.
  10. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

If they came out with a new album it'd probably get posted here, or if someone was feeling nostalgic it'd fit

This kind of thread is usually a lot of bandcamp links for new stuff, either emo or emo adjacent

You'd probably get a different "what is emo" answer from everyone who's ever been on this site

11. akkeri

Totally!

12. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

First wave 80s

Second wave 90s

Third wave early 2000s

4thwave 2010s...(emo revival)

Entering a weird new period

Snoblin and Hazelnutsack like this.
  13. Hazelnutsack

Irregular

Woody Guthrie is pre-first wave emo FYI (old timey emo)

14. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Honestly, though.

15. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

And every single person is wrong. The only emo band is Jerome's Dream. DC DIY EMO 5 LYFE.

teebs41 likes this.
  16. Mustache_Band

I listened to this and it's pretty good. Thanks!

17. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

This is great

18. local_corn

an existential crisis mixtape

i've had this on repeat all day

Jason Tate, teebs41 and Jake W like this.
  19. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I like the idea that this thread could cover all facets and styles of emo going forward. There’s emo influenced pop punk that we can talk about in here along with stuff the purists consider Emo. There’s also emo bands by association, like animal flag listed above, mostly an alt rock band that goes hard but they are on triple crown and tour with emo related bands. Alright end rant.

I guess my point is keep sharing tons of music in here and don’t worry too much if it necessarily falls under the emo tag line.

20. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Can we talk about Nervus in here now then (who released my AOTY so far this year)

Snoblin, KidLightning and teebs41 like this.
  21. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Please post it!!!

22. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

this is the only band I want to talk about

23. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

After hearing the record twice i have to say you really nailed the description. May order the vinyl tonight or tomorrow

24. Definitely gonna give that Good Looking Friends album a listen.

25. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Me too today! @teebs41 been telling me to listen all wknd!

teebs41 likes this.