Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Electric Car Thread

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by ZooZooChaCha, Apr 1, 2018.

1. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Thought I'd start a thread in the tech forum for electric cars - these things are practically a tech purchase when you think about it.

Currently have a Prius C but we're in the market for a second car and I think I am going full electric. 10 mile commute and my work has charging stations right in the front row.

Brent likes this.
  2. jorbjorb

7 rings

The self driving stuff terrifies me.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  3. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Wait until you find out how many people a year die in cars driven by humans.

Brent and jorbjorb like this.
  4. I bought a Prius last fall but was really close to going for a Leaf or a Volt.

jorbjorb likes this.
  5. jorbjorb

7 rings

I know I just like being in control.

6. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Yeah, I hear that. Personally I can't wait to get rid of my car and instead have one ready for me to jump in when I head out the door for work. The cost savings alone will be tremendous, and never having to deal with parking will likely add years to my life.

jorbjorb likes this.
  7. jorbjorb

7 rings

That's true. I think I would love to take a nap during rush hour traffic now to think of it.

8. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

About 5 days into Leaf ownership and I love it so far. The range is a little short - 95 miles, but it’s perfect for going back and forth to work (10 mile commute) and my work has free charging.

Still have the Prius C for the longer trips.

9. Iain

Regular

It is an exciting space. Most governments in Europe are implementing higher taxes and setting deadlines for fossil powered vehicles.

I rarely do more than a 20 mile round trip anywhere, so I would love to have one for the free fuel. I am on a company car scheme, so I am hoping in the near future I will get into one.

10. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Europe has the right idea. Whereas in the US there are cities (Atlanta I believe is one of them) where they are taxing EVs heavier at registration since they don't pay into the gas tax.

11. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

So, it sort of feels like the electric car bubble is loosing steam when talking to people about their experiences. I have a Taycan on order but wondering if I should opt for a 911 or something else.

I suspect synthetic fuel will have a big moment before the decade is out.

12. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

what

13. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Lot's of angry owners here in the UK at the moment. The infrastructure is lacking especially on the motorways here (consistently OOS chargers) and it's also very costly unless you charge at home. I've seen quite a few owners reverting back to combustion cars till they either sort things out or synthetic fuel takes off.

I rented an electric car for a trip earlier on in the year to test how the infrastructure had improved for non Tesla's and man did we have range anxiety with the poor infrastructure.