Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Edge Of Seventeen (Kelly Fremon Craig, November 18th, 2016) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jul 30, 2016.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

interested

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

this is great

5. joe727

A DILAPIDATED BOAT! Prestigious

I want to see this so bad.

I have a soft spot in my heart for coming of age teen movies in the vain of John Hughes. IMO the only really great one of this decade so far has been Perks of Being a Wallflower (i've heard great things about Spectacular Now but still haven't seen it), so i'm interested to see what this brings to the genre.

6. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

What a delight. Even if you can predict some of the beats and things wrap up a little neatly/feel-good-y, this is such an empathetic film that understands adolescence as well as any I've seen. Steinfeld was so good, and it was interesting to see Blake Jenner some more after Everybody Wants Some!!

kidwithhelmet likes this.
  7. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Saw this last night and it was delightful!

8. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

checking this out now, don't really have any expectations

9. EngineDown

yeah i really enjoyed this. the discrepancy in the ages of the actors was pretty notable but other than that it was really charming and fun

10. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Lol, Blake Jenner especially.

EngineDown likes this.
  11. EngineDown

the guy who played erwin is seven years older than him, and he was the next oldest haha

JRGComedy likes this.
  12. This was alright. Pretty accurate portrayal of teenagers haha. Overall a little too by-the-numbers for me though. Hearing Anderson Paak and The 1975 was pretty cool.

13. The Spectacular Now is so great, I'd recommend the book as well!

popdisaster00 likes this.
  14. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

Probably gonna go see this sometime next week. Been hearing great things about it.

15. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

Really liked this, even though it was a tad predictable.

16. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

This was so wonderful. I knew I'd like it, but while nothing about it was surprising, I was still somehow surprised by how much I really loved it. Guess I just really needed to watch a movie like this right now.

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I feel like this is the best endorsement this movie can get

popdisaster00, jkauf and JRGComedy like this.
  18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This was really great. Hit a sweet spot for teen comedies that's been missing for a while

19. Glad I got to see this before it left theaters. Really enjoyed it. Hailee Steinfeld was great, and so was Woody Harrelson. It nailed the whole being-a-teenager-and-growing-up-fucking-sucks-sometimes thing really well.

MysteryKnight likes this.
  20. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Caribou's Can't Do Without You playing at the party, wish the bros from my high school were like that haha

This was a total joy, excellent all around

21. kidwithhelmet

WELCOME THRILLHO Prestigious

I just absolutely fell in love with this movie. Soooo so good.

22. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Thought this was just okay. With the hype I saw it was getting from this site I hoped to like it more. Thought it was a pretty standard coming of age teen story.

23. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Just saw this. I thought it was delightful. Great performances, the guy who played Erwin was hilarious.

24. stayillogical Feb 6, 2017
    (Last edited: Feb 6, 2017)
    stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I don't think there's ever been a more realistic teenage girl portrayed on screen. The text that she sends before the climax of the movie, I just died. That's exactly what teens these days freak out about.

The animosity with her mother and brother, the real issues underneath. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it. I can't relate to her circumstances or the situations she gets to in the movie, but I felt the angst and it was so painful. Brought me back to being a teenage girl, the line she says about thinking she's the only one with problems so it makes her special. Spot on. You can tell a woman made this. For me, it deserves all the hype and more.

25. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Related to the girl so well. High school sucked. hard. I remember going to one of my teacher's room during lunch all the time cuz I had no friends haha. The line about looking down on yourself and hating what you see, the things you say, everything, fucking got to me. Totally been there, still am.

MysteryKnight likes this.