Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Early November – Fifteen Years

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

An acoustic album is always a bit of a gamble. To take songs that fans are already attached to and release them in alternate versions runs the risk of losing what they fell in love with in the first place. The Early November have never been afraid of taking that risk. The band released an acoustic EP in 2005 and more recently a full-length acoustic album, Fifteen Years, in celebration of their 15th anniversary.

When the band released The Acoustic EP they included in it a note explaining why they wanted to share stripped down versions of their songs. It read: “Since all of our songs are written on an acoustic guitar, we thought it would be cool to release a version of our EP the way the songs originally sounded.” Fifteen Years is an extension of that concept; it represents each album from the band’s long and successful career while showing just how skilled they are at creating a lot with very little.

Fifteen Years sets an easy pace within the first couple tracks. “Narrow Mouth,” typically loud and brooding, steps back into a softer and more forlorn sound. Meanwhile “Outside” boasts a slight twang, with playful harmonies and delicately layered melodies.

“Boxing Timelines” is an instant favorite, with its placid backing vocals a comfort despite the song’s moody and introspective theme. With lines like “I know it’s hard to hold on/All my thoughts are really sad/How I wish we could just stay young,” it fits neatly into an album meant to mark the passing of time.

Another stand out is “Frayed In Doubt,” from 2012’s In Currents. Hazy and somewhat hollow, the track ebbs and flows until Enders is practically screaming in its final moments, “Just float along/You wont’ be alone/We’re all going down the same lonely road.” The brief pause in the guitars leaves him utterly isolated, despite assuring listeners that they won’t be alone. The effect is chilling.

“Figure It Out” is another that sounds more at home as an acoustic track than it does in its full band form. Punctuated by the sound of hands scratching across the guitar strings, “Figure It Out” is sad and lonely. Its despondent picking melody and Enders softly crooning “I’m not giving up/I’m just losing this” are heartbreaking in a way that the full version never quite managed to capture.

The band closes out the album by revisiting two of their most popular tracks: “Sunday Drive” and “Ever So Sweet.” Though both were already featured on The Acoustic EP, there was no way they could be excluded from a record meant to celebrate The Early November’s 15th anniversary. Both have mellowed with age, leaving all of the anger behind until sadness seems to be the only thing left.

There’s something inherently nostalgic about acoustic music, and The Early November took that feeling one step further by putting together this collection of songs from throughout their career. The quiet passion within each chord makes you long for something you can’t quite grasp. Though they’ve laid these songs out in their barest states, they somehow sound fuller than ever – a true testament to their skills as songwriters. It’s exciting to think what the next fifteen years could bring.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  2. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Excellent album

becky kovach likes this.
  3. Bear

Bear the dog. Great Pyrenees/Newfoundland mix

Hell yeah this album rules, I love these versions. Best version of 'Ever So Sweet' that they've put out, in my opinion. Ace seems to never stop improving as singer. His vocal performances on this album are incredible, way beyond what you might expect on an album of stripped-down material.

4. Saephon

Regular

What sticks out to me the most about this album is that a lot of their songs that I previously did not care much for (usually off of In Currents or TMTM&TP) are really doing it for me as acoustic renditions. Usually a band that creates acoustic versions of their songs aren't able to recreate them in interesting ways and they just sound stripped down and incomplete. But it's obvious Ace does his songwriting with just an acoustic guitar because these all sound fantastic and like they were always meant to be this way.

5. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Like the full band sound more. Adore TEN, tho. A thought:how can a band so influential and, well, fucking beautiful be so forgotten? Virtually no one at their Warped Denver appearance in 2014, I walked right up to the barrier both ecstatic and sad. Like 30 ppl. :tear: Same w/ Saves the Day.

6. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

So glad I bought this physically. Love it.

becky kovach and ConArdist like this.
  7. gabe

gabebravo.com

There's only one word to describe this and the band. Beautiful.

ConArdist and becky kovach like this.
  8. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

It's definitely sad. They both had a much larger crowd at the Philly date, since they're from close-by. Bands like that are legends in this scene, but the Warped crowds are so young, I'm guessing they just never got into them.

9. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I think they still have cult followings. Warped tour just isn't the ideal sort of tour for those bands anymore. Usually draws a younger crowd who are there to see newer bands. When I went to the acoustic TEN show that they played with You Blew It in Orlando a few years ago, it was borderline sold out.

10. efp722

Regular

I will follow and buy anything this band does, they have been one of my favorite bands for over 10 years. However, I was really expecting more from this. I didn't want this to just be a one man show with Ace and his guitar. I was really hoping for an acoustic re imagining of these songs with the full band, just stripped down. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful; i was just hoping for something with, i don't know, a bit more effort?

ConArdist and nohandstoholdonto like this.
  11. SoundInTheSignals

@Bake_Wear / soundinthesignals.com

I think you're right that probably is the reason.

12. CMilliken

Trusted

Great album. My favorite is probably Call Off The Bells. Most bands can't pull off acoustic albums like this. When they try it sounds exactly like they are playing the original song but on an acoustic guitar. For some reason this is different to me.

becky kovach likes this.
  13. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Yeah, agreed. Whenever they play venues here in Philly, they sell out. They played with HIPV a few weeks ago and sold out the venue.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  14. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

On a slightly unrelated note, that Lumberyard Studio that Ace has been producing at looks like it should be pretty successful.

ConArdist likes this.
  15. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Yeah, very much so. And what up and coming band in the scene wouldn't want a chance to record and work with Ace. That'd be amazing.

16. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

I was surprised at how much I loved this album. They knocked it out of the park. Need to order a physical copy.

17. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Spot on! One of the best releases in this idea, absolutely love it. Pretty nostalgic, and I literally adore all those songs.

18. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Good to know, they deserve it. Still not fair that one of those "your band's favorite bands" isn't selling out arenas. Dig this, their FB page has 80,000 likes. Not bad, not quite BMTH. I started my stupid EDM project 5 or so months ago and today hit 60,000 likes. That's not me bragging, that's me filled with chagrin. I barely know where the hell I'm going with "ConArdist" but I apparently have expectations riding on my shoulders that I am still coming to grips with. I'd understand if they never reformed, but TEN is gold and I feel bad for people that don't know of them.

19. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Cool, maybe word is growing since I saw them that they're back? Idk.

20. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

That sucks for those kids, how can they not look back at it? Just turned 28, but have a few friends that are 21/22 and they don't know anything about Underoath/Copeland/Saosin/TEN/Saves the Day. Grrr. I had a date end because I told a girl I "hate" people who love Skrillex but don't know about Sonny Moore's career before. She got pissed. I'm a dick, but people need to open door to the past AND the present. Listening to Coltrane now. What's worse; kids stuck in the past musically or those who can only listen to music from 2012 and up? I'm honestly asking, they both drive me crazy.

21. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Yeah I totally see where you're coming from! Its crazy too because as a fan of music and even when I first got into this "scene", I checked out bands from before the bands I currently listened to just because I felt like I had to. Lifetime and The Promise Ring and all. Guess not everyone can be as cool as us though lol.