Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Drum Thread • Page 9

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 7, 2016.

1. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I'm amping up to get a Remo Fiberskin resonant kick head for my new Transparent Black Ludwig Epic Pro kit. Gonna be seeeeeeeexy.

bodkins likes this.
  2. Deathco_019

Drummer

Haven't the slightest clue so I'm going to my nearby music shop to try out all their snares. It's tough to even describe what I'm looking for because I'm not good at that sort of lingo stuff. But I want something that sounds deep and big, not a lot of pop, able to do to ghost notes on well. Idk haha. I know what kind of music it is that I'd like to make and I just need to find the snare that will fit well with what I want to do on my kit.

3. bodkins

Trusted

I've got a fiberskin on one of my kits, looks so classy. Post pics when you do it!

That's the best thing you can do. You'll know it when you hear it!

Deathco_019 likes this.
  4. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

I recently bought an 8'' meinl byzance dark splash and an 8'' meinl high bell, and made them a hi hat. little hats ftw.

muttley and bodkins like this.
  5. bodkins

Trusted

That's dope. Sounds like a lot of fun to be had with those.

LuigiPeppercorn likes this.
  6. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Buddy Rich solo videos are so much fun to watch

7. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

having fun today

upload_2018-2-2_15-25-40.png

pauldunions and bodkins like this.
  8. pauldunions

Regular Supporter

The bfsd is awesome

9. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I REALLY want to get back into playing. I need a kit though.

muttley likes this.
  10. chewbacca110

Struggling with getting a Remo Fiberskyn or green Colortone kick resonant head for my transparent black Ludwig Epic Pro kit.

Fiberskyn would be super classy, but the green would be a pop of color on an otherwise black kit.

bstadtfeld likes this.
  11. bstadtfeld

but does it djent?

I'm all for that classy look. Looks super slick on a nice kit.

12. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

New Hats! Zildjian K Custom Hybrid 13"

Imgur

muttley likes this.
  13. Deathco_019

Drummer

Just bought myself a Meinl Byzance 16" Trash Crash and I'm in love

chewbacca110 and muttley like this.
  14. chewbacca110

I've had the same ride for the entire time I have been playing , so I am finally upgrading. My 20" ZBT Plus ride that has gotten so dark and dirty over 21 years that is borderline sounds like a brilliant K, but I just order a 23" Sweet K Ride. I'm gonna bash the shit out of it.

15. Deathco_019

Drummer

Nice, the K series are one of the only Zildjian series I've played on that I actually like

16. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I'm considering buying a couple used cymbals on Craigslist. It's basically betting $200 that I'll get back into playing and stick with it. That's a far better wager than $400+ on new cymbals.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  17. chewbacca110

Got a Remo Felt Tone for my front kick head and it sounded amazing on some tracks I recorded this weekend. Nothing in the kick either!

Attached Files:

LuigiPeppercorn and bodkins like this.
  18. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 6.37.26 AM.png

19. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

marceting and chewbacca110 like this.
  20. chewbacca110

That JAWS kit is surreal.

21. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I remember the Back to the Future one blowing my mind when I first saw it.

22. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

This is really cool and inspiring to see.

Kristen, Joe and chewbacca110 like this.
  23. muttley

Looking for some feedback.
    I’ve had my four piece mahogany kit for nearly a decade and Im interested in buying a second kit. I’m thinking maybe a 20” kick drum with two rack toms and one floor tom. A 5-piece would offer some new sounds and I could always add another floor tom with that set-up.

Any major differences between a 20” and 22” kick drum? The only thing I can think of is that a 20” may be a little better for smaller rooms.

I’ve also considered a kit like Questlove’s Breakbeats but the smaller sizes don’t seem as versatile. I’m pretty convinced I want at least 5 drums, too.

24. chewbacca110

What style of music do you like to play? I had a 20x20 so it was all punch and was perfect for the pop punk bands I was in.

There is a pretty big “feel” difference between a 20 and a 22. Despite the tuning/tension to get the pitch you want, the 20 is going to feel a lot more immediate since you will have to shorten the length of your kick beater to strike the center of the drum.

25. muttley

Mostly alternative/rock type stuff. I like to explore different styles. My current kit works great for the former, but it doesn’t translate well for soul/r&b/hip-hop.
    Interesting point about the feel. I’ll have to check out some shallower 22” kicks before going smaller.