Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Drum Thread • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

it physically hurts me to crash with any sort of volume when in traditional, lol

muttley likes this.
  2. bstadtfeld

but does it djent?

I mean we didn't specifically focus on our left hands but it's not like we did nothing. It certainly helped a lot. It's certainly a weird grip for drumset. With the stuff I play I sometimes end up switching to french grip so I can use my fingers more.

3. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I've been working on leading with my left hand by playing a left-handed set-up - hats on the right, bass drum on the left. It's like learning all over again.

Oh, and I'm doing it without drums haha. You don't need a kit, just sticks and an imagination.

chewbacca110 and marceting like this.
  4. pauldunions

Regular Supporter

I try to play open handed sometimes. Hats with your left. I love watching drummers play this way (Durijah from Glassjaw. Dude from The Get Up Kids. Oh and Ilan Rubin)

chewbacca110 likes this.
  5. bstadtfeld

but does it djent?

Ever since discovering open handed my life hasn't been the same. It makes playing blasts and some grooves so much easier.

6. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I'm so severely right-handed it would take years for me to switch to open handed.

7. muttley

I've been getting the hang of it faster than I thought I would. I still need to work on leading with my left before I can build up speed. That's the part where having a kit set up would come in handy.

That's exactly why I wanted to work on it. I have trouble with even basic single stroke rolls sometimes because I never learned how to use my left wrist.

8. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

It mattered a little more to me in high school when I was playing in a lot of different bands, but I'm just jamming with a bar band now and the kit resides at the bassist's house, so I know how you feel, haha.

9. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

bstadtfeld likes this.
  10. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

My parents surprised me with an electronic kit as an early graduation and "maybe you'll get a big boy job and move out soon" gift. Little did they realize that they just sealed me totally not graduating lol

11. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Just bought an impeccable Lugwig Epic Pro Beat in transparent black on Reverb. So excited to have a 24" kick drum for that booming bass.

LuigiPeppercorn likes this.
  12. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

yesterday i tried playing drums while also playing a game in vr, and boy let me tell you, that shit was real hard

muttley likes this.
  13. muttley

Pics?

14. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Casey isn't the best out there, but its undeniable how many kids he inspires. This is awesome.

Joe likes this.
  15. muttley

I really want to start playing again. Drumming on the steering wheel isn't cutting it anymore.

Ken and JRGComedy like this.
  16. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

My wife always comments how she wants to play drums so I think I'm gonna buy her some lessons for her bday. That's my story #coolstory

However, we won't be homeowners any time soon, so playing anywhere BUT the music shop is a fantasy...

bodkins likes this.
  17. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

This made me so happy. Literally NOTHING makes me happier than seeing children playing music and enjoying themselves.

18. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Benny just doing Benny things and cosplaying Walter White

muttley likes this.
  19. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

time for all of your minds to be blown

JRGComedy likes this.
  20. muttley

I wish cymbals weren't so expensive.

bstadtfeld and marceting like this.
  21. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Yeah, there's some high prices on those :/

22. muttley

I'm thinking about buying some used cymbals and renting a rehearsal space so I can jam again. No idea how much it costs but it's only a 10x10 room.

23. bodkins

Trusted

Just traded some hats for 70s Ludwg Vistalite kit (kick,rack, and floor). Kick needs some hardware, but it was a sweet deal I couldn't pass up.

Also picked up A set of 14" Sabian AA Apollo hats and a 22" Sabian HHX Omni ride. Really like that hats a lot. Ride is solid. It's a tad thin sounding, but it's versatile and does the job I need it to.

Anybody else pick up anything lately?

24. Deathco_019

Drummer

Haven't picked anything up lately, but I am looking into buying a new snare by year's end

25. bodkins

Trusted

Leaning towards anything in particular?