Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Drum Thread • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 7, 2016.

1. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

The first thing I think of with gloves is lack of grip(?). I don't know why, though, I'm not sure if I've ever used them.

Yeah, once you get blisters, it's over haha. I was holding my stick with 3 fingers so my accuracy went out the window. I miss having callouses!

2. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

That feeling when youre working on something for a while and finally get it down smooth so it sounds natural

3. muttley

I've always played along to songs I know. Never really sat down and made stuff up.

It feels weird when I don't have some music to improvise over, I.E. a drumless guitar riff or something.

4. Deathco_019

Drummer

I have a difficult time being creative behind the kit by myself, but when I've got a guitarist giving me a melody I'm more creative. However, I've come up with a few ideas so far this year that I'm a fan of. I just need to flesh them out more.

5. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Man, I'm so excited about all this. So happy I have a kit now. I'm better than I've ever been and I'm able to play for however long I want every day. Definitely starting some sort of rock project up for real.

muttley likes this.
  6. Cody

My roommate/bandmate and I just wrote a pretty sweet little tune that's in 7/8 for most of it, but has a part that switches between 7/8 and 5/8, and then it goes into a 3-bar phrase of 4/4 repeated four times, back into 7/8. Really fun to play, but it's hard to stay on; once you lose the beat in 7/8, you're fucking out, haha.

chewbacca110 and LuigiPeppercorn like this.
  7. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Odd time signature are legit my favorite thing to play. Not to promote my old band that doesn't exist anymore, but funny that we actually had a song that switched between 5/4 and 7/8 in the verse and chorus. For some reason the two feel natural next to each other.

muttley likes this.
  8. Cody

Oh, awesome! I will definitely listen to this tonight. Yeah, I like playing really math-y stuff, and 7/8 with 5/8 (maybe also 5/4) works out so well because in a 4-bar phrase it equals out to 24 beats, so you can sorta play like you're in 4/4 and give your brain a break from all the counting for a couple measures.

9. muttley Jul 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 8, 2016)
    muttley

I've been catching onto time signatures lately. Been hearing lots of 7/4, or 7/8, i don't quite know the difference.

This is a fun one. Starts out 7/8, then does 3 counts of 7 followed by one 8. Then the chorus goes to 4/4, I think. I don't even know how to write the middle part with the extra 8.

This one seems like it's all over the place, too. Haven't paid attention enough to break it down. The part around 3:20 is cool - hits the bell consistently the but the beat switches up? I don't know the terminology to explain it properly, but it rules.

Edit: one more. They have the sheet music for this on their Facebook. I wish I could play this stuff. I'm content with only knowing the time signatures.

noeljames likes this.
  10. bodkins

Trusted

The top number in a time signature represents how many beats are in a measure, and the bottom represents the type of note gets the beat (quarter=4, eighth=8). So 7 quarter notes, or 7 eighth notes.

That said, it doesn't much matter which you call it until you go to notate it on page, or try to count it aloud I suppose. So you can call it either or and you'd be fine. Hope that makes sense!

11. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

@muttley @bodkins It mostly makes a difference if you're playing something that goes in and out of different time signatures. There's a big difference between a song that switches from 4/4 to 7/4 and a song that switches from 4/4 to 7/8.

bodkins and Cody like this.
  12. bodkins

Trusted

Yea for sure, that would be another the bottom number matters.

13. Cody

Oh, man, I'm still loving Drumeo, but all the very lowkey 'rock is simple and kind of sucks' jabs from the instructors is really throwing me back to high school/college when hardcore music students were the exact same way, haha. That being said, "Creative Rock Groove Ideas" by Adam Tuminaro is an awesome lesson that I'm definitely going to play around in today.

Also, threw new bottom heads on everything, new snare wire, I'm vvv happy with how my set is sounding right now. It was fine before, but all of the reso heads were just fucked up enough to justify replacing, and after doing so, it's like night and day. Also got a new pair of sticks, smaller/quicker, barrel-tipped, really complements my (unknowingly) overly loud ride. Only been a couple weeks, but I feel I've jumped up a ton of notches knowing my way around the kit as far as terminology and upkeep/repair (so, the non-performing elements, I guess) go. It's fun to tinker.

Benny Burrito and muttley like this.
  14. Cody

Also, fun fact for the day: the very first "cymbals" manufactured by Zildjian way back in the 1600s were originally created as noisemakers to scare off the Ottoman Empire. Kinda nuts on a number of levels.

muttley, LuigiPeppercorn and bodkins like this.
  15. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

I've been starting to try to play more and more like a hip hop drum machine as weird as that sounds. Lots of hi hat and the fills mostly consisting of kick and snare. Considering resetting up the double pedal to enhance. I feel like its helping with cleaning up the sounds, but it could also just be me listening hard to every individual hit.

16. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

What sticks do you you guys use?

I'm all about the Vater Fatback. Roughly the same diameter as a 5B but with a thicker taper and slightly heavier towards the tip.

bodkins likes this.
  17. muttley

Vater 5B wood tip. I used to go for their Xtreme 5B for no reason whatsoever haha. Switched to the basic design so I could buy them in 4 packs to save some money.

I think I tried a few pairs of Vic Firth and like them as well.

18. Cody

I rotate between 2 sets: I have some barrel-tipped Vic Firth that I use for speed and precision, their size makes them easy to move around with, very natural feel (and durable, too, all things considered). Then when I'm playing slower, boomier, heavier stuff, I have these Promark Shira Kashi White Oak sticks. Just an intense sound even when used lightly.

19. pauldunions

Regular Supporter

Anyone in here listen to Tangled Hair/Colour? James Trood is one of the best drummers around right now.

Also, I really dig Vater. The 5As and 5Bs feel real good and balanced.

20. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Pro Mark American Hickory 7A. I hit hard so the lighter sticks help with volume control. I also just like how they feel

muttley likes this.
  21. Deathco_019

Drummer

Pro Mark American Hickory 5B. I switched to them from Vic Firth Wood Tip 5B's and I've found myself breaking my sticks or their tips significantly less then I did with the Vic Firth's. The more rounded tip helps and it's nice that the sticks, overall, feel the same.

22. bodkins

Trusted

Usually on the kit I like to play Vic Firth Rock. Same width as their 2B, but a half inch longer and a different tip. For Lighter stuff I play VF's AS5A and on pad work I generally use their MS2s.

23. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Trying to talk myself into pulling the trigger on a maple/oak C&C Chicago Drum Exchange custom kit. Selling my current kit would take care of 1/3 of the cost. Ughhhh

bodkins likes this.
  24. bodkins

Trusted

Do ittttttt

25. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone use the Big Fat Snare Drum? Everything I read is great, but I've never played one. Considering picking up Steve's donut.