Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Drum Thread • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Definitely let me know! I know you said you're sticking with stock heads for now, but do you have any plans for what you'll use on your toms? I went from clear Emperors to coated Emperors and I might actually try out clear Pinstripes next

2. Kristen

Regular

We're recording in a few months so I will probably ask the producer what he prefers. I'm honestly not really picky on these types of things as long as they sound good and last a while. I believe on my old set I had Evans EC2s

3. Meerkat

I'm assuming your band is the bandcamp link in your profile? I'll check it out!

4. Kristen

Regular

Yep you are correct! :-)

5. carlosonthedrums Apr 16, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 16, 2016)
    carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Thanks for the heads up about this, just got done watching it. As awesome as it was seeing all those legends unite for that camp, that kid who got on the kit at the end stole the show.

6. bstadtfeld

but does it djent?

The unofficial count for this upcoming year is hovering around 130 kids, but last year we had 119.

7. Meerkat

I just added it to the main post of links, but I really love The Drummer's Journal. Completely free with a lot of fun interviews

8. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

If I ever become unlazy and record stuff I will need a drummer

9. Meerkat

:tear:

10. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

The man gave us so much, RIP

11. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

If I had the ability to emulate anyone's playing, it would be Pridgen.

Meerkat likes this.
  12. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Oh sick there's already a drumming thread.

muttley likes this.
  13. Meerkat

Thomas Pridgen is fantastic. I love listening to him talk about drumming as well. He's always super energetic and does a really great job of making some more advanced techniques or rhythms seem accessible

muttley likes this.
  14. muttley

He makes me want to take lessons and "re-learn" with technique because I don't have any haha.

The entire opening to this is wonderful.

15. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Yeah, Pridgen fucking consistently slays.

This Night Verses drummer is fucking nuts. The music as a whole gets a little too post-hardcore-y for my taste at points, but the dude is grooving so hard throughout all of this with some incredibly intricate fills. Lot of dynamics.

muttley likes this.
  16. Meerkat

I loved his Drumeo masterclass. Loved how he talked about (specifically in terms of Alan Dawson's Rudimental Ritual) taking an exercise at face value and then expanding it on your own to suit your needs. Also loved him breaking down the idea of paradiddle a between the right foot and left hand and learning to play it with the right hand on the down beats and the up beats so that you could easily use it in odd meter scenarios

muttley likes this.
  17. muttley

This is where I need to start.

18. Meerkat

Just bought these today. Absolutely in love

Joe and muttley like this.
  19. muttley

@Meerkat What size is the dark crash? And what's that on the left?

20. Meerkat

Dark crash is a 19". The cutie on the left is an 18" inch crash from Zildjian's new A Avedia series

muttley likes this.
  21. muttley

I was wondering why I didn't recognize it. Didn't realize they had another new series.

I watched some Youtube videos of the dark crashes and the 19" sounds so freakin' good. Nice choice! I've always steered clear of Ks because of the price and I don't want to break them, which I think will inevitably happen with any cymbal if I play on it long enough.

22. Meerkat

@muttley The A Avedis is their new vintage line. Modeled after what was being played in the 50s both look and sound wise. The bottom has the weight in grams plus the hollow logo like they used to use. Stylistically speaking they did a beautiful job. And the entire line sounds great as well.
    I love love love Ks. Wish I didn't for the same reason you just mentioned haha. I needed some bigger colors to work with though and these two compliment each other really nicely.

23. muttley

You totally get what you pay for when it comes to cymbals (and shells). The buyer's remorse, if any, is only temporary haha.
    It's important to like the sound you're producing.

There's definitely a correlation between my destroyed cymbals and my lack of playing. Thankfully the drums themselves still sound great, otherwise I'd disown the kit all together.

24. efp722

Regular

Glad to see there is a nice drum thread going on!

In honor of Thrice's return tomorrow, I present to you my cover of Circles. Beggars is my favorite album of theirs. I know its not perfect, but it was a fun little jam.

muttley likes this.
  25. bodkins

Trusted

Gosh, one of my favorite drumming videos ever. Such a genius and entertainer.
    "I'ma splain to ya."

efp722 and Joe like this.