Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Drum Thread • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Oh hey I found a thread I should be following. I barely know anything super technical about drums so I am feeling a little self conscious. I have been playing off and on for probably at least 15 years, though, and no matter the time in between getting behind the kit, I always feel good and it all clicks again. I have an old spruced up Rogers kit with a shiny red and black finish that I bought off my dad's drummer a couple years ago (actually maybe not all of it is Rogers but most. This guy likes to customize). It's pretty nice and he kinda wanted to buy it back from me within the last year hah. Cymbals are just a hodge podge of stuff. Nothing special at all and most are pretty beat.

2. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

@gonz (Alex) Do you have a picture of your kit? I'd love to see that finish

3. Not readily, but I'll see what I can do.

4. patrickhowell likes this.
  5. Meerkat

gonz (Alex) likes this.
  6. Meerkat

Also, the Hit Like A Girl Awards Show is streaming on drumchannel.com right now

Joe likes this.
  7. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

That colossal thud you just heard was the sound of me slapping myself because I didn't know this thread existed until now. This is awesome.

How did you all embed the pics of your kit? I tried using the photo icon and pasting the URL, but it keeps giving me a broken image. :concerned:

8. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Try imgur

9. patrickhowell

... Supporter

I used the media button for Instagram.

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  10. carlosonthedrums Apr 14, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 14, 2016)
    carlosonthedrums

I was using the wrong link icon on here. Duh.

Anyway, this beautiful beast was built by TMD Drums, a custom shop based out of Miami:
    8x12 rack
    16x16 floor
    18x22 kick
    Snare in the photo is an 8x14 Ludwig Black Magic, but I recently picked up an 8x14 DW Performance steel snare, and I'm all about the sharp crack and response on that thing.

Cymbals:
    14" Zildjian New Beat top/A Mastersound bottom
    18" Medium Crash
    22" K Ride
    19" Medium Crash

As much as I've loved using this kit for the past six years, there's a good chance I'll be selling it in the fall. I think it's time to stop procrastinating and get that DW I've always wanted.

11. patrickhowell

... Supporter

That kit looks great!

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  12. carlosonthedrums

Thanks, Patrick! Yours is an absolute beauty.

13. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Pro Mark makes the best sticks!

14. bstadtfeld

but does it djent?

I don't have a picture of my set but I can describe it and my background in drumming. I've been drumming for 6 years now but only 4 of those on drumset. I also march in my school's band where I'm on snare for outdoor and indoor season. I play a mix of things from funk, hip hop, latin, jazz, but mostly forms of metal and rock. My gear and setup is as follows.

Pearl Forum Series Kit - all poplar wood
    14x5.5 Snare with PureSound wires and a Remo Controlled Sound head
    13x9 tom with a Remo Ebony Emperor head
    16x16 floor tom with a Remo Ebony Emperor head
    22x18 bass drum with a Remo Controlled Sound head; muffled a lot in the drum for an almost triggered sound
    15x5.5 Pearl Steel Shell Snare with an Evans marching head of a marching snare type sound; used as a side snare

Cymbals
    14" Zildjian ZXT Rock Hi Hats
    20" Zildjian Planet Z Ride
    20" Zildjian ZXT Ride (used as a crash)
    8" Meinl Classics Custom Medium Bell
    19" Sabian Holy China Brilliant
    12" Unbranded China
    14" Unbranded Stack
    16"/18" Stack made of a very cracked Zildjian ZBT China and a modified Camber crash

Hardware
    Miscellaneous stands, mostly PDP stands
    Pearl Demonator Double Pedal
    Pearl Anarchy Cowbell w/ Pearl Cowbell Bracket
    Sound Percussion single pedal for cowbell

15. carlosonthedrums

AAAAAHHHHH dude, I miss my marching days so much. I played tenors for my high school's drum line and even marched with the Boston Crusaders for a year. I fell out of touch with the activity for most of the past decade, so I was surprised to see how much it's evolved in terms of the inclusion of electronics and whatnot. Also crazy how many corps went down due to lack of funding. I hate seeing any form of music education get shut down, it's always like a punch to the gut for me.

16. Meerkat

God I'd love to be able to go back and march just one last field show. I never bothered auditioning for DCI because I didn't have the money. I miss marching so much. That's a whole other mental exercise that you can't find in anything else

17. carlosonthedrums

I was barely able to scrape together enough to get in. It was crazy expensive haha. But yeah, I'll probably never be pushed as hard as I was when I had to learn drill, carry those things around and match everyone else's technique and execution.

We're all insane.

Meerkat likes this.
  18. Kristen

Regular

FullSizeRender.jpg

Just got this White Ice DW Performance Series about a month ago. I use an acrylic Pork Pie snare with it.

19. Meerkat

@Kristen What are the sizes on that? Also if you don't mind me asking, what heads do you use?

20. Kristen

Regular

8x10 rack tom
    9x12 rack tom
    12x14 floor tom
    14x14 floor tom
    18x22 bass drum

and right now I left on the stock heads except for the bass drum I changed to a Remo Powerstroke. I went broke from buying this set so I'm just trying to get to most out of the stock heads since they don't sound bad.

21. Meerkat

Yeah DW's stock heads aren't terrible. I bought a Performance kit about 2 years ago and was able to get away with the heads until about 6 months in. I actually just put a Powerstroke 3 on my bass drum and love it. I've never used anything but an Evans EMAD and I actually like the P3 a lot more. I also just bought one of the new Vic Firth felt beater so I feel like I have a brand new bass drum haha

22. bstadtfeld

but does it djent?

Dude that's awesome. What year did you march Crusaders? I love marching so much. I'm going into my senior year and I'm in line for the center snare spot. It's easily the best choice I made to join drumline, it's made high school enjoyable. The mental and physical demand is so much more than anything else at our school and it's nice that my school recognizes that. They haven't cut funding for us, if anything they've increased it and were very fortunate for a school of a little over 1200. I'm hoping to march DCI at least one year on a bassline because as much as I love snare, I marched bass for 3 years and I'll always love that a little more. I'm thinking Cavaliers, however that could change.

23. carlosonthedrums

I was there in 2000, the first time the corps made top 5 at Finals. I'm old haha. But it was pretty sick, and I still hum the ballad from that show to myself from time to time.

So happy to hear your school treats your music program so well. The band program at my high school in Miami is barely even a thing anymore. It's awful.

24. Meerkat

This makes me so happy! You guys are definitely lucky your school district treats you well haha. What size is your marching band?

25. Kristen

Regular

Alright I took your word for it and got a Powerstroke 3 so we'll see how that sounds!