Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The DIY Music Thread • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Mar 6, 2016.

1. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

ah that list makes me sad. I guess shitty people arn't exclusive to just the pop-punk scene. if this is also true, its really shocking to me that a band with such a positive message such as High Dive could have a scumbag involved with them.

2. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

not sharing the post from rgr's friend here till i get their ok but this is the thing that happened in december here. i find it incredible that no one outside ca has heard about it but l**ren records has done a p good job of being super un-transparent about their actions

In response to “Growing up is done”

this situation was a mess because literally no one talked about it??? and none of the numerous people with actual power in my scene (promoters / musicians / etc.) ever said anything publicly about it. there was nothing that was done. i'm sure there were a lot of private conversations but they don't really do a lot of good in terms of affecting change or holding people accountable. very few people outside their clique of friends even knew that this took place.

(again, don't quote)

3. nfdv2 Jun 22, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 22, 2016)
    nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

this is what made me incredulous though. like i don't know the people in these bands, i don't know if they're really good people or not i guess, but from what i do know, i find it so hard to believe that some of the people r**n woods has played in bands w/ and toured w/ (and is playing plan it x fest w/) would tolerate his behavior and there's no way they haven't heard about this so i kind of figured there was something happening in terms of accountability but idk

brought it up because it's been on my mind for a while but it probably wasn't even my place to post about this.

4. matthaber

thanks for bringing this to my attention. high dive were a band I love and have supported a lot this past year or two, and i had no idea about any of this.

5. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

So I've been getting into the DDW/Epoch bands a bit lately. I already have and adore both Told Slant record, Eskimeaux's OK and the EP from this year, and Yowler's The Offer. I also listen to most of the bigger artists (Mitski, Frankie Cosmos, Proches, Waxahatchee. I know the last two aren't as affiliated). What should I listen to next? I figure something by Bellows or I've seen Krill's name thrown around with a lot of praise. Pls don't give me a list of records, I'm only looking for like 1 or 2 rn and don't want to be overwhelmed.

6. matthaber

I'd go with Small Wonder's Wendy if you wanna keep on that epoch grind. Bellows last album Blue Breath is also fantastic.

7. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

how much lvl up have you listened to?
    also the free cake for every creature record from this year is very good

8. cwhit

9. MrRobot

Twitter/IG: @scott325

Finally get to see Eskimeaux

10. cwhit

Didn't realize Ovlov was actually a real touring band again. Lineup is so ridiculously good

11. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Yeah what? I thought Ovlov broke up.

12. cwhit

They've been doing some shows but didn't think they'd do a legitimate tour

13. algae

Regular Prestigious

Any good sites/blogs that y'all would recommend for new DIY release, I mostly just browse around Bandcamp but would be interested in reading some thoughts besides P4K which is the only music site I frequent besides this one

14. cwhit

Post trash

algae likes this.
  15. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I find a lot I like from Stereogum

algae likes this.
  16. cwhit

brooklyn vegan as well, especially since you're from NYC

17. MrRobot

Yeah, Brooklyn Vegan probably has the most coverage of this scene, from what I've seen.

Mostly I just discover bands from friends posting about them on twitter/tumblr, though lol

algae likes this.
  18. cwhit

very good on the pinegrove tour last night

19. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

half cloth! but they don't rly post regularly which sucks

20. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

i asked casey this but i'm gonna ask here too to get more thoughts

is it considered ~bad etiquette~ to play a show you’re booking? i'm booking a show for the very first time in august and i kinda wanna play it because the lineup is shaping up to be some of my fav bands buuuut i don't want to be that person if that's a thing

(also this would be the first actual show i'm playing if i end up playing)

21. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

In my experience that's not really a thing. I don't play any music myself, but my friends that have booked shows with me put themselves on their own shows pretty frequently. Not EVERY show, but certainly if it's one you're excited about or proud of I can't imagine anyone looking down on that.

nothingsforeverdude likes this.
  22. MrRobot

Yeah, I agree with this. I was just talking to a friend of mine yesterday and she was talking about putting her band on a certain bill if she was the one to book it. I don't think it's uncommon or anything.

23. cwhit

yeah, that's what i told joan. basically if it makes sense sonically and you don't do it every time, there's no real issue with it. it's a draw for some bands since people will come out for their friends too

24. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

sweet, thank u guys

25. sim1

can i have a new name yet

I may be biased but the CT music scene is killing it:

Violent Mae
    Spectral Fangs
    Quiet Giant
    Straight to VHS
    Ports of Spain