Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Disaster Artist (James Franco, December 8, 2017) Movie • Page 22

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by tdlyon, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I've seen tweets by women defending Chris Brown, "I'd let him beat me!" :cringe:

electro haikus likes this.
  2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

There will always be those kinds of defenders of this behavior, both men and women. It's disgusting to see but a depressing number of people still subscribe to the "How can they not have wanted it from [X attractive person/celebrity]?" mentality.

3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Man this book was so much better than the film.

ALT/MSC/FAN and Signifire like this.
  4. Davjs

Trusted

I felt like this movie didn't really hold up as a movie at all. The only really good parts were scenes where they were filming or recreating the room. Any of the other scenes felt super flat to me.

I agree with someone who said that it's cool that Regan and crew seem to take chances with making different kind of projects though, even if they don't always work out like this and Sausage Party.

5. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

I thought the movie was a really solid adaptation of the parts of the book where they were making the film, but getting there felt absurdly streamlined. Tommy is more of a caricature in real life (if Greg is to be taken at face value) than in the movie, which I think does a disservice to both the comedy and the more noteworthy parts of his toxic attitude.

OhTheWater likes this.
  6. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

Saw this again tonight thanks to finally receiving my moviepass. still just as good. I love the emotion between James Franco and the crew/greg. And the comedy is great.

beachdude42, tdlyon, Makoto and 2 others like this.
  7. Morrissey

Trusted

This was completely fine, no more or less. It seems to be more content to increase awareness of The Room than anything else. It is not particularly concerned with Wiseau's psyche, the film industry, or anything deeper than a riff on the original film.

Davjs, jkauf, Dog with a Blog and 2 others like this.
  8. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

since i finally saw the room and i'm definitely not seeing this now i'm especially interested in the book

9. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

I haven’t finished it yet and I’m really only about 40 pages in but it’s already a lot more intriguing than the movie was as a whole.

10. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It’s much better

11. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Yeah, the book is fantastic. The movie streamlined it into a 90 minute comedy, the book is almost a horror story at times

I still love the movie though, just nowhere near as great as it could have been

12. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Agreed with everyone, the movie was decent enough, but the book is seriously 10x better. Anybody at all interested in the story should read it.

13. dlemert

Trusted

Yeah I'm almost finished with the book and it's seriously great. Also, try to listen to the audiobook if you can as Greg Sestero's Tommy accent is amazing.

14. Morrissey

Trusted

One of my problems with the movie is that it keeps this guy in the spotlight. From the Golden Globes to press junkets it gives him the fame he does not deserve.

15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

To leave out the entire "alleged" background of Tommy that the book goes into such detail about is nuts. Unless he didn't want it on film

16. dlemert

Trusted

"This guy" meaning James Franco or Tommy Wiseau?

17. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Franco had to get Tommy's life rights to make the movie so I wouldn't be surprised if he just wanted to be respectful to Tommy's wishes on what does or doesn't make the movie

18. Morrissey

Trusted

Wiseau. He is not charming or talented. I hate how we prop up the "so bad it's good" crowd, whether it is William Hung or Tommy Wiseau.

jkauf, dlemert and Ken like this.
  19. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

20. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

haha oh god

21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

22. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I have fun laughing at his taste and general aloofness. The mystique of how he financed his movie and his relationship with Sestero are open-ended interesting imo.

23. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

Just a heads up; this hit digital HD release today for anyone who wants to own this.

The Disaster Artist

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  24. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Gonna pick up the Blu-Ray in a couple weeks, the bonus features look great

25. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”