Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dirty Nil Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by MexicanGuitars, Feb 9, 2017.

1. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

[​IMG]

New pre- Higher Power singles and EPs out April 28th on Dine Alone/Fat Wreck

1. Fuckin' Up Young
    2. Verona Lung
    3. Little Metal Baby Fist
    4. Hate Is A Stone
    5. Cinnamon
    6. Guided By Vices
    7. Nicotine
    8. Beat
    9. New Flesh
    10. Pale Blue
    11. Caroline

[​IMG]

Figured these guys should get their own thread now. Been saying it for a while now but these guys are trending like PUP in 2013/2014. Next album could get them big.

2. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

That audiotree session is awesome. The clear guitar is sick as well.

cubsml34 likes this.
  3. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Coming to chat The Nil.

I would assume they'll tour the states with Flatliners seeing as they're both playing Bled and there was a twitter thread between Flats / Nil / Meatwave which led me to think that will be the tour

cubsml34 likes this.
  4. MexicanGuitars

Well this would be fantastic

5. Sounds good, I'll check them out.

6. Michael Schmidt

That would make sense too with the Flats releasing a new record and the Nil just announced their comp album. What venue would the Flats headline @JaytotheGee? Grog or Agora Ballroom? I not so low key would want Beachland. I wouldn't think Class, but Power Trip was just there haha.

7. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I think it would be Grog! Def not Agora, but Class would be so sick. Beachland would be cool too but might be a little big

8. Michael Schmidt

Yeah, Grog feels like the right capacity, but most shows seem to go to the Agora Ballroom these days. Beachland is basically the same size as the Agora Ballroom, so for me, all things equal I would rather be at Beachland. Class would be insane, but is probably too small. Foundry would be interesting, but I'm not sure there are enough generic breakdowns on the bill to play that venue.

9. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I really was hoping for this release they would re-record some of the songs. A lot of these songs are really solid but missing something. Fuckin' Up Young for example is really good live but the recording is kind of hard to listen to I think. Cinnamon and Nicotine are probably the best on here though

I would say Grog or Beachland 100% but more likely Grog!

10. Michael Schmidt

Fuckin' Up Young is a hard recording to listen to for sure. I'm pretty sure there is a good song in there, but it needs some re-working. The YouTube comments for that song are funny because people can't listen past the recording.

11. MexicanGuitars

Yeah those early recordings are really rough. Wouldn't mind a re-recording of Fuckin' Up Young at least

12. MexicanGuitars

Awesome for these guys. Also, someone else is listed on their FB as their bassist now. Guess this means Dave is officially out, I'm really curious as to what happened though.

Edit: just caught their acceptance speech and they did thank the Nardi family. Still curious

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  13. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Very cool!

Bummer about Dave

14. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

I've really got into Higher Power over the past few weeks. They also do a good job of making their songs sound as good or better live. Definitely agree with @cubsml34 that their next LP could be huge for them just like PUP last year.

Curious to see how Dave leaving the band changes their sound. He seemed to bring a lot of the heaviness/grit to HP.

cubsml34 likes this.
  15. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I like Daves songs but I definitely don't think they're necessary

16. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Agreed. Lowlives and Helium Dreamer aren't bad songs, but I don't think they add much to the album. From the live videos I've seen (Audiotree session included), it seemed like he did a lot of heavier harmonies/backing vocals/whatever the term is for it. I think that's where their sound will miss him most.

cubsml34 likes this.
  17. MexicanGuitars

Man I love Lowlives and Helium Dreamer. I think they break up the album perfectly (along with Fugue State). I'd agree Luke has the better songs but I'll miss Dave's contribution quite a bit.

JBoch likes this.
  18. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Hopefully the new guy can fill in for that at least, because without those backing vocals it definitely won't sound as good

JBoch likes this.
  19. MexicanGuitars

JBoch likes this.
  20. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Loved the original version of Caroline and the new version sounds awesome. Glad they chose to re-record these songs instead of just releasing a compilation of their older work.

21. MexicanGuitars

I was under the impression they only re-recorded Caroline?

22. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I hope they re record Fuckin Up Young

cubsml34 likes this.
  23. MexicanGuitars

I just discovered I will be in Budapest when the Dirty Nil are playing three hours away in Vienna. I have friends that live in Vienna. I could go to this show lol.

24. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Do it!

25. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

I feel like you shouldn't need much of an excuse to go to Vienna in the first place. Now you have one. Enjoy your trip!