Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dirty Nil - Master Volume (September 14, 2018) Album • Page 10

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by MexicanGuitars, Jul 11, 2018.

1. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

this is a DARE song

2. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Song doesn't do a whole lot for me, but still excited to hear more new music from these guys

3. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

mattfreaksmeout and Nick Jagger like this.
  4. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

They used to be a punk band a la menz right?

5. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Eh not quite that much, they def had some more faster-paced rippers when their old bassist used to do lead vox on a few songs (Lowlives, Fugue State, etc), but they've always had the more classic rock/power pop edge.

KidLightning and Leftandleaving like this.
  6. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

I liked this single more than I thought I would

7. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Oh that’s very interesting. Not why I expected haha

8. MattNCheeze

Trusted

their bassist has big kramer energy and I'm here for it"

song's a ripper

9. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

If we look at the two US tours at the beginning and end of the cycle, yes they grew, but I wouldn’t call it a big jump or anything. Like, yes, they played Mahall’s main room, but there was a lot of space still. I‘m guessing the band probably had bigger expectations. I just think crossing over from Canada (when your band is growing fast there and then wins Juno awards) to play small shows in the states is hard. That’s basically what broke up Alexisonfire.

Edit: not insinuating the Nil will break up at all. I just think they are going to be a band slogging it out for a while and hopefully at some point it catches the break in the states that they need.

10. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

this fuckin riiiiiiips. they need to change their name to The Dirty Dirty Nil.

11. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

He don't want that phone call :shrug:

Cameron, phaynes12 and MexicanGuitars like this.
  12. MexicanGuitars

They sold out both Chicago headlining shows the past two years (150 cap) but prior to that I think they had only done one headliner across the country, so they have some time. I still think they could make a jump here but sure if they’ll catch lightning in a bottle like PUP did opening for Menz and everyone losing their minds.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  13. I think the nil might take a different route than bands like the Menzingers or PUP. I think they might make a bit of a play at the rock/alt radio crowd. I know That’s What Heaven Feels Like got some play, and this song seems more cleaned up for radio. It has a bit less grit than their last albums (I still think it rules though!)

I could see them touring more with bands like The Glorious Sons, the Struts, etc in the future. I could be wrong, and I’d prefer them to tour with bands I like more, but I’d also be happy to see them become the biggest band in the world and I don’t think they’ll do that without playing to that side more. We’ll see!

Michael Schmidt and Nick Jagger like this.
  14. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Yeah, I feel like they are definitely trying to go more on the radio side, but I feel like the punk crowd embraces them more, which will be interesting to watch.

15. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

16. Nick Jagger

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sounds like some new music is getting announced this week/soon. Fingers crossed.

Crisp X, MexicanGuitars and phaynes12 like this.
  17. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

That would rule so hard

Nick Jagger likes this.
  18. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

Thinking a video is coming

Nick Jagger likes this.
  19. GageStillAlive

Still Alive Supply Co. Supporter

Can't wait for new music, I'm still bumping Master Volume a few times a week. One of those records I go to when I'm not sure what I wanna hear.

20. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

New song rips so hard

Best band

21. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

very very into this

22. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

Loved the fuck out of this

23. Danny Aug 13, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 13, 2020)
    We love our Doom Boys

JaytotheGee and MexicanGuitars like this.
  24. MexicanGuitars

"Doom boy, skipping like a stone
    With the headlights, howling at the dawn"

Smashing Pumpkins or the NIL you decide

25. Do y’all think it was always their plan to just release two singles without an album announcement? Or did these *trying times* derail the whole cycle with a big tour and album, etc? It sounds like the album is done, I’m curious if they’re going to hang on to it for awhile and keep releasing one off singles.

Nick Jagger likes this.