Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Difference Between – Detach: Envenom

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The latest emo/post-hardcore “supergroup” comes now in the form of The Difference Between on their debut EP Detach: Envenom. The band is comprised of the ever-familiar vocals of founding vocalist of Emarosa (Chris Roberts), guitarist Chris Wethington, bassist Garrett Harper (both of Softspoken), and drummer Cody Frain (of A Scent Like Wolves). On this heavy, yet incredibly moving EP, The Difference Between embrace their lofty goals for their aggressive sound, and utilize their past projects into a crowd-pleasing musical package on these three songs.

Kicking off the set with the visceral “Detach,” Roberts switches from screamed to clean vocals at the drop of a hat to make for an incredible wall of sound. This tends to work best on the chorus as the screams are well-blended with the clean vocals to make for a less abrasive listening experience. It’s a great way to re-introduce their musical talents to the world, and drummer Cody Frain continues to ramp up his percussion prowess with complex beats and fills.

The short second track, “Avail” relies more on atmospheric sounds to build up to the single “Envenom,” which after hearing it, makes it abundantly clear why their label chose to re-introduce these musicians with this great song. The stellar single, that is in the same realm of great post-hardcore bands like Underoath, Thrice, and Saosin, leaves the listener wanting more from this dynamic band called The Difference Between. One can only hope they use this newfound momentum going in their favor to continue to release music in the very near future.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Are you just lucky or do you get to review all the best music? Seems every review I’m interested in is authored by you of late! (I can’t find their username to tag).

Saw this band listed in the new albums thread but didn’t check them, I’m glad this review came up because I’m digging it. Their Spotify bio lists these for RIYL:

FFO: Lower Definition, Glassjaw, Oceana, Funeral For A Friend, Underoath

Anyone that name drops FFAF has my attention. One of the members is from A Scent Like Wolves, who rip hard. I thought it sounded kinda like early Vanna as well. Love the screams layered in with harmony.

paythetab likes this.
  3. paythetab

Chorus.FM Album Reviewer (Adam Grundy) Supporter

Haha thanks for making me smile! Always nice to get this direct feedback, and I'm glad you're enjoying the music that I've come across lately. Have a great one!

slickdtc likes this.
  4. -deleted-

-

This is cool. Had no idea Chris Roberts was involved in music after The Revival Sound which had a few jams I loved during the MySpace era.

paythetab likes this.