Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dickies Verbally Abuses Crowd Member at Warped Tour • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 29, 2017.

1. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

The moment you begin engaging with a single member of the audience, whatever "act" or "show" you put on ends. I don't care whether he was provoked: he handled this like a child and stooped to such misogynistic slurs, that this went beyond just being him firing back. I mean seriously if you were just walking around somewhere and you saw someone flick someone off and then the other person went on a rant like this at them, who is the party who behaved worse there? I honestly don't even think this would be as big a deal if he had just yelled "F*** you" or whatever to the girl. It still would be bad, but the words and the phrases he chose were clearly meant to demean her as a woman, and that is exactly the behavior that needs to be eradicated from Warped Tour, this scene, and the music industry as a whole.

2. Here's Kevin Lyman's official statement:
    Dear Music Community,

I thought it was time to put the facts out since I have watched false information floating around. A video has been circulating of a confrontation between Leonard from the Dickies and a Fan.

Fact- it was not a Fan, but a member of the touring party.

The member of the touring party was standing next to the PA with a sign protesting some of the things they found offensive about the bands jokes, and props on stage. During one of the last songs they went towards the barricade and directed the sign at the band.

After a verbal barrage from Leonard, the member of the touring party threw the sign at Leonard, and left the area. I do not condone verbal or physical violence, whatsoever.

The Dickies, last day of the tour was that Sunday, which had always been scheduled.

These are the facts of what took place and this is why I ask anyone who has an issue with anyone else on tour, to come sit under my tent with me and express their views diplomatically. On this years tour we have many people who may not agree with each other, but as humans we should be able to express our points of view in a civil manner.

If we have any hope to progress as a society, communication will be key in moving forward.

Regards,

Kevin Lyman

3. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

So he threw out the verbal barrage before the sign had been thrown and kevin Lyman gave a fairly pointless statement? Shocking!

4. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

The replies are hilarious.

Attached Files:

5. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

that letter literally isn't even grammatically proofed, let alone sincere or meaningful

6. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Raku likes this.
  7. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Add him to list of shitty musicians doing nothing good for this scene.

Jason Tate likes this.
  8. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Ben Weasel has always been a piece of shit

9. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

Ben weasel is sadly well established as a fucking asshole. He's now trying to get the protester's identity and information on Twitter

10. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Can't currently access facebook, anyone care to post what he said?

11. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

12. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

13. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I mean I'm not surprised but why did Lyman even bother making a statement? Dude just sucks.

14. m80

Now Jesse Hughes from eagles of death metal is defending the dickies on his Instagram. Smh

15. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Gross. Even the dickies singer has basically admitted he went overboard and he sort of kind of implied he shouldn't have unleashed on her like that.

16. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

jesse is a gross disgusting dude, happened to be around at a fest where he played he was a stereotypical gross dude rock star, fuck him.

17. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I think rock has gotten to be a bit safe. I wouldn't mind seeing artist whose material and shows feel a bit "dangerous." That being said I don't think this was that. I don't think it's punk/dangerous to be a jerk to your fans or to be straight up misogynistic. That's not punk rock no matter what some of the defenders are saying.

18. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

My sentiments exactly. This is all I see in the fb comments is that punk rock is safe now and needs safe spaces. Safe spaces wouldn't be needed if gross dudes like this weren't around.

19. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

I still can't believe some people consider blatant misogyny to be a "point of view".

Jason Tate likes this.
  20. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Don't really think that's what he's getting at.