Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dickies Verbally Abuses Crowd Member at Warped Tour • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 29, 2017.

1. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

What the fuck? Not punk dude...not punk. Shame

2. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

I have a cousin who is about 20 who is super into him. When he was younger I tried so hard to get him out of listening to this guy and give him better more positive bands/artists to follow. None of it stuck. I also hate when I see teenage girls wearing tshirts with his face on them.

3. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

jesus, i fuckin hate this guy

4. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Said this in the WT thread but LOL at no one chanting along with him.

5. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Imagine being such a massive dick, that you write a statement using the words "pro-black" with negative connotations and don't immediately throw yourself into the sea.

6. ttmessick

Ronnie Radke is literally the biggest "pussy" ever. Dude blocked me on Twitter last year after a fairly calm (albeit mind-numbing) back-and-forth about his claim of "reverse racism".

7. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

warped tour is so beyond saving

fenway89 likes this.
  8. transrebel59

Regular

I posted a longer reply in a separate comment but these contracts do exist, particularly in venues in Florida, and it's just a slippery slope of when does the venue pull the plug and security step in. Of course situations like this, somebody shouldn't need a written contract to have the decency to pull the plug. If you were security, do you step in when a band member starts cursing on stage? Do you step in when it's directed towards an audience member? Do you step in once you've assessed the situation? (By that time, the situation could be out of hand) And when you say, "If they say something hateful", you're telling me that I'm only allowed to be offended by what security deems is offensive. Which is absolutely bullshit.

Honestly, you don't need a contract for people to have some common sense.

9. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

oh, i agree, people shouldn't need it. but obviously there needs to be something because things keep happening!!!

fenway89 and Jason Tate like this.
  10. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

I got worried for a second because of the mentioning of Safer Scene. I was like, we didn't say anything. lol

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  11. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Don't know anything really about The Dickies, but did anyone read their take on this and why he blew his fuse? Doesn't sound like this was part of the act. It sounds like he took exception to it being implied that he's a paedophile for the entire set.

No idea whether it's true or not, but it gives some context as to why he'd unload quite so unpleasantly on the audience.

Raku likes this.
  12. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

This is so incredibly gross and really puts to the forefront every single thing wrong with Warped Tour. It needs to either die at this point or needs to go through drastic changes, which clearly Lyman has no interest in.

fenway89 likes this.
  13. shawnhyphenray

Regular

He was pissed because of what was thrown at him and written on it. I'd be too. He was returning the favor

Raku likes this.
  14. Connor

Are you being serious? Are people really defending him and what he did?

coleslawed and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  15. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Oh yeah. The comments are ridiculous on Facebook. People are currently telling me I have no idea what punk rock is because you can't get offended at a punk rock show. 95% of them are men, which is funny to me. But for real, people are gross.

16. Connor

Its ridiculous. And it looked like there were some posts above excusing his behavior as if it was justified. Real punk rock is progressive, real punk rock is about community. There is nothing about this that is remotely punk rock.

coleslawed likes this.
  17. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Thank you! It's mostly a bunch of dudes arguing with me that punk has no rules and freedom of speech exists therefore no one can be offended by anything. It's laughable. Even punk rock has some morals.

18. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I feel sick.

19. MrCon

Not sure if you were referring to my post or the one later, but I didn't defend it at all. I was pointing out that people in this thread have been (seemingly) mistaking this as a normal part of his show banter or whatever.

20. Connor

Yeah I was referring to the one later. No worries!

21. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Even if it was part of his normal show/banter, I don't understand how that makes it any better haha. Not implying you think this, but how others are viewing it like that is baffling.

22. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Well to be fair, punk rock has never been a place for women, so they shouldn't have an opinion on this (is the line of thinking of those people).

23. MrCon

It surely changes the context entirely? If he spits out all that shit because he's provoked, it's surely not the same as if he just randomly yells it at a woman in the crowd?

Raku likes this.
  24. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

That's exactly how it feels in the discussion haha. There is also a photo going around that says "I stand with the dickies". Even as a "legendary" punk band, there are still boundaries that shouldn't be crossed and this was one of them. The dickies and their fans suck.

25. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Also the fact that the dickies are older men who can't take any accountability is hilarious to me.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.