Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dickies Verbally Abuses Crowd Member at Warped Tour • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 29, 2017.

1. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

It wasn't anything verbal like this, but Blackbear was told by venue security repeatedly that he couldn't smoke inside the venue, yet he kept lighting joint after joint. So they shut everything down and threw him out. They did continue though, once he was out of the building. Not really the same, but just stating that venues very easily can do something when something happens that shouldn't.

Raku likes this.
  2. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Further solidifying my resolve to never support this nonsense tour again.

skogsraet likes this.
  3. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

warped would do that if they really cared about the people who are giving them money to put on the festival, or wanted to make it clear that they do not tolerate these messages and they don't represent the tour. it would be incredibly beneficial to the tour to do that for PR purposes.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  4. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Oh ok that's good. I thought he said/did something problematic. I don't listen to him but it would've been a bummer to hear about yet another story of someone being a shitty person.

5. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Agreed. I think too many bands think of warped as an ultimate band achievement, so unfortunately I think it would be slim for a lot of bands to boycott it, especially smaller bands.

6. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I mean, he kind of was being a shitty dude but not in a harassment or sexual assault type of way. Just being an arrogant douchebag kind of way haha.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  7. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Ew.

8. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

The problem is, the majority of people don't care and will still pump money into the tour. As long as it's not the majority, shit like this won't change. Warped won't be pro-active in doing anything like this without hitting their wallets.

9. cwhit

i don't know why anyone would question warped taking it upon themselves to be like "hey if you say anything hateful that shouldn't represent the tour you will not be on the tour or paid for it" would be something hard to do or something that requires "pressure"

10. cwhit

this is correct, because they do not care about their fans as long as they are still getting money out of it. if they really wanted to show that they do not tolerate this behavior they would do this. but obviously they don't want that, any statement is solely to cover their asses when this happens

11. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

What I don't understand is that they could very easily stop booking known shitty people on their tours and stop defending abusers without even a small dent to their wallets, outside of a slim few bands. Like come on how much money was Front Porch Step making for Warped? Are the Dickies really drawing in a massive fan base to the tour? The only really shitty people I can think of that would even potentially impact their wallet that they still continue to have out are Falling In Reverse, and I guess like Attila. But seriously, there are plenty of other acts that could fill those spots without even the slightest impact on the tour financially. Money is not the issue here. The issue is that Kevin Lyman and whoever else is involved just truthfully don't give a shit about any of this. They/he don't care. They see this as people being needlessly outraged. Warped will not change until Kevin hands the reins over to someone else (and even then we can only hope that someone better will fill his shoes).

cwhit likes this.
  12. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Haha holy shit speak of the devil himself:

I can't even be mad about it, it just sounds too ridiculous.

Zilla likes this.
  13. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Holy shit. He is unreal. Punk rock doesn't mean deragoty terms to get a laugh out of some douchebags who think they're punk rock. It's more about equality than anything else. Fuck this guy so much. He is everything wrong with this scene and America as a whole. I hate the free speech bullshit argument, it's just a bunch of idiots like him justifying being a shitty human being.

14. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I mean everything about that statement just is absolutely drenched in absurd levels of white male privilege. He literally uses "pro black" as an insult. Yea punk is absolutely different now because a lot of us want to see it be a thing that more than just overly aggressive white dudes are able to enjoy. I can't believe that prick has such a large audience of kids who look up to him and that's the best example he can set.

15. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I mean, to be honest, a lot of the young generation that goes to warped are a bunch of sponges who latch onto anything they think makes them look "different" from any other pre-teen/teenage kid. Kids are so apathetic these days and so quick to be defensive of this bullshit because the singer is cute and has tattoos.

16. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Well I wouldn't want to put blame on the kids (which I'm not saying is what you're doing). I mean we all made decisions I'm sure when we were young from a desire to be "edgy" or different. They're impressionable, and they haven't thought about these things in terms of the bigger picture. That's why it's up to the artist to set a good example for their fans and not the other way around. It's just sad though.

fenway89, Aaron Mook and cwhit like this.
  17. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Oh I totally agree, I'm not blaming kids but I also think that parents need to do a better job of instilling good morals in their kids so they can see wrong from right in situations like this. Obviously they're going to act how they want, but I think at least it helps. But yes absolutely the artists need to set a good example and it does make me feel better when other bands use their platform to call out shitty bands and shitty music industry people, but people like Kevin Lyman with his huge platform need to step up.

fenway89 likes this.
  18. cwhit

it's more important for the artists to do this than parents, especially at this age when kids are trying to rebel and go against their parents and their role models/idols in these bands are insanely important at this stage of life

smowashere and coleslawed like this.
  19. Everyone that's given this nut a positive platform should feel good about themselves.

Joe4th, Penguin, fenway89 and 2 others like this.
  20. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

This is so gross and depressing.

21. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Agreed. That's why I said they'll do what they want anyway, teenagers are rebellious, I know how I was as a teen haha. I did however not like shitty people like this and I think it's because I had more positive music role models to fade out the rest.

22. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Change needs to come from pretty much all angles. I know for example, my Dad went with me to the first few concerts I attended (God bless his soul when he had to sit through Chiodos in a tiny cafe). If bands behaved this way, I guarantee we would have had a talk about that afterwards. On the flip side, after a few of them, I started going on my own and at that point they really had no way to know what bands it was, and they would only really know what I told them about bands.

I guess what I'm getting at is, yes, parents can and should try, but it's hard for them to truly know much about this scene unless they really make an active effort to follow along. And it's definitely going to be hard to convince kids to listen to parents over someone they idolize, especially with a band like Falling In Reverse where (and I'm generalizing here) the kids are already showing signs of being rebellious just by nature of being a fan of a band like that.

Also worth noting I was not allowed to go to Warped Tour until the summer before my Senior year of high school, and I thought my parents were crazy at the time but hindsight is 20/20.

coleslawed and tyramail like this.
  23. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Wow the things Ronnie is RT'ing right now. One example "Fucking hate it. If you address people without asking what "pronoun" they go by people will light a fire under your ass for it." Where has anyone ever seen anyone ever get mad about this? I think any interaction I've seen where there was a pronoun confusion, the person in question politely pointed out that was not the pronoun they identify with. What's so hard about that? It just genuinely baffles me.

Oh and #HeterosexualPrideDay is the #1 trending topic in Chicago right now, so yea this is just a really fun day on the internet.

Anyway, I should probably get some work done now lol

24. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

God damn, our world is so sad.

skogsraet and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  25. transrebel59 Jun 29, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 29, 2017)
    transrebel59

Regular

Florida has some highly strict rules about behavior on stage and so do some other states. (This may have changed because I'm going off of touring that I did years ago). I toured with a variety of bands and a few situations I remember: Everybody Else had to change their drum head because it featured a drawing of two people having sex, they then mentioned abortion on stage and were denied payment. Another band said "Fuck off" to somebody in the crowd, mic was cut and a massive fight happened between the crowd, security and bands. The band had agreed in their contract to not cuss and were denied payment. Another band at the same venue/different tour said something similar on stage, mic was not cut and received payment.

Basically, this wouldn't work because you have venues that have implemented this and it's pissed off fans, bands and security. It's entirely subjective on where the line is that security would step in. Do they step in when a drum head has offensive imagery? Do they step in when somebody mentions abortion on stage? What does security do when they try to remove somebody that 500 people paid to see and then everybody wants to fight them?

That being said, something like this situation, the mic really should have been cut by the stage manager/anybody with some decency and common sense. There shouldn't need to be some contract for somebody to pull the plug on this situation.

coleslawed and SuNDaYSTaR like this.