Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dickies Verbally Abuses Crowd Member at Warped Tour

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The band The Dickies were assholes at Warped Tour on their last day of the tour. They posted a pretty ridiculous statement on Facebook about the entire thing and at this point I’m just exhausted by how prevalent this nonsense is.

Safer Scenes’ take is right on:

If you don’t want misogynist rants on stage at your event, make a policy for performers, and have sound crew and security enforce it. Another good way to keep misogynist rants off your stages: don’t book artists that have attacked women fans, don’t book misogynist bands.

I didn't think this was still allowed at @VansWarpedTour pic.twitter.com/VcVsZl93aH

— Netflix Origanal (@thechubbywubby) June 26, 2017

2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

and this is why war of women is on this tour this year.

3. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Someone should have kicked his ass. Also "I've fucked farm animals prettier than you". Pretty gross that he admits he does that.

4. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

"Show her what we're about."

Too late, buddy.

Chinesefood likes this.
  5. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

Like I said in the Warped Tour thread, The Dickies do some kind of shit like this all the time. If Kevin wanted a safer space at Warped, why the hell were they booked?

Raku likes this.
  6. Behind the Barricade

I don't know the guy personally but I'm sure he doesn't fuck farm animals. Could be wrong though.

Raku and church11 like this.
  7. transrebel59

Regular

Seriously ridiculous behavior from The Dickies.

I agree with Safer Scene's second solution of not booking bands that have had incidents in the past. But the first part is such a bad and unsafe solution that will never work.

8. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

And then to read comments from people suggesting "that's punk". No. Anyone suggesting that clearly has no idea what it's about.

coleslawed, Turkeylegz and skogsraet like this.
  9. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I don't think he does, either. I was just being playing with his words.

10. Venues and tours do it all the time. Cutting the mic is the easiest thing in the world.

11. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

The actual punk thing to do would to give him a right hook.

12. Behind the Barricade

Haha I thought so.

13. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I mean, you could have crews trained that to cut the mic for anyone who starts into something like this. They're not owed a live mic, they're given the opportunity, and should have it taken away when necessary. Obviously they should do better to not book bands that are risk of doing something like that though. Especially if they're so notorious for it (personally, I'd never heard of them, and wish I still didn't know of them).

14. cwhit

how is that first part not good? put it on the contracts they sign saying if they say anything hateful their set will be ended early, they will be kicked off the tour and they will not receive compensation

fenway89 and Jason Tate like this.
  15. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

The comments are maddening. There is literally nothing punk rock about this. I get if you want to take jabs jokingly about your crowd, but there is a way to do it that isn't sexist and tactless. Apparently they didn't do this on the other dates they played, only this date - probably because it was their last. So I think the "they just do this at shows" argument goes out the window.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  16. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Just out of curiosity; why do you think it wouldn't work?

17. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Kevin Lyman continues to prove he does not give a shit about keeping fans safe from abusive artists. Very convenient for him this happened on the last day so he can pretend he would have done something about it otherwise.

18. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I'm sure they think "punks gone soft" when really, no, we just like our punk rockers to have a little human decency these days. And the jokes are one thing (not a great thing, but a different issue), but this was just literally verbally assaulting a member of their audience. (Basically, I agree. That argument does not hold up at all here.)

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  19. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Holocene did this for the last Emo Nite they had with Blackbear guest DJing, they very quickly turned the lights on and shut their sound down.

skogsraet and Jason Tate like this.
  20. cwhit

following up on my last post, the money aspect needs to be key here. bands will not (at least most cases...) fuck around if they know that they'll basically lose their jobs if they do so.

21. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

The "punks gone soft" and the "world is too sensitive" comments are so irritating. No, there are just right and wrong ways to handle situations and treat other humans, it's not rocket science.

Petit nain des Îles and Penguin like this.
  22. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

What happened there? Like what caused them to turn the lights off.

23. I know quite a few venues in Portland that put it in their contract what bands can/can't do/say on stage, and they'll definitely cut a show off/mic/end it all. And that's for some basic places, the venues/houses that specifically want to be safe places are very strict about it all. It's great.

coleslawed, fenway89 and tyramail like this.
  24. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Exactly. No one's naive to the fact that this type of thing used to be much more common in punk. It doesn't mean it was right just because that's the way it used to be. Change can be a good thing (and definitely is here).

Penguin likes this.
  25. Behind the Barricade

The problem is, Warped would never do this unless bands start boycotting the tour. Maybe down the road it could happen but it would have to start with smaller venues and tours and work its way up.