Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Devil Wears Prada Band • Page 11

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Lmao the comments on last.fm

2. VCargo08 Oct 11, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 11, 2019)
    VCargo08

Yeah I dislike this album right about as much as I expected to. I kind of hoped to walk away with a handful of tracks worth saving but end to end I just don't really like any of it. Jeremy's singing is so goddamn melodramatic and his cadence is nearly identical across the album, and his lyrics are painfully cringy (fuck, "Numb" is so awful). Some of the guitar tones are too compressed and need some low end. "Switchblade" is pretty good but it's so short. Spiderhead is fine.

I'm not going to spend any more time going on about it because I know consensus around here seems to be that it's a perfect evolution for the band, so I don't need to be debbie downer. What I do want to say is that I really reject the notion that this is what it sounds like when a heavy band "grows up" or matures. Implying that growth as a musician in this genre means turning away from those sounds and leaning into sing-songy, whiny ballads is pretty lame. That's how you get bands like Staind. Do we want to eventually hear Prada on adult contemporary radio? Does Mike aspire to being a country star in his solo career?

Mature metal can still be metal, and not all evolution needs to go the direction of "One Last Light" or "Erase Me" to prove a band is all grown up.

ETA: I AM gonna give it a few more spins and see what I can get out of it. I love this band too much to completely abandon it outright.

3. Lucas27

Trusted

I've always been a very casual TDWP fan. But man. This is next level awesome.

4. I've never heard Our Last Night and "mature" associated with each other heh.

I'm not loving this album as much as you guys, but I do like the direction they took. There are a lot of cool parts, and I'm hoping the album as a whole grows on me after more spins.

5. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

It’s taking a few listens to really click, unfortunately, but I think I’m getting there. Got a two hour train ride to listen to it on so fingers crossed.

Either way, this is their most ambitious record to date. Their past riffs are awesome and all but to convey an overall aesthetic or vibe like the one found here? That takes quite a bit of work. I respect that even if this record doesn’t click with me in the end.

6. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

I think there’s some nods to a post rock influence on the songwriting all over the album. Songs are really building to these climatic moments and the payoff is satisfying. Currently in the middle of the album so I’m referring mostly to “The Thread” and “Numb” that do this quite well.

beachdude likes this.
  7. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

I dig this a lot. Tones throughout are good, and I like the move towards a more post-hardcore sound. Think it breathes new life into the band and broadens their reach. I know their popularity was on a bad downward spiral for a bit.

beachdude likes this.
  8. mattylikesfilms Oct 11, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 11, 2019)
    mattylikesfilms

Trusted

This is very half killer half filler for me. Certain songs like “As Kids” just low key bore me since I’ve heard it, essentially, on other tracks before it.

I feel like the second half of this record is drops off quite a bit for me.

Spiderhead rules though.

9. mugi stan

fellas i love this album

beachdude and johnnyferris like this.
  10. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

"Sounds like nu-metal La Dispute" was my first overall reaction, but like...not in a bad way?? Really impressed and excited to give it a few more spins.

beachdude and VCargo08 like this.
  11. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

That’s actually a pretty good description haha

12. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I would say Wave of Youth, The Thread, and Spiderhead are my top 3 tracks.

“Diamond Lost”, “As Kids”, and “Even Though” are my bottom 3.

johnnyferris likes this.
  13. 333 GANG

ACAB

Liking what I’m hearing so far

beachdude and Nate_Johnson like this.
  14. I listened to a few songs and thought it was awful, but that’s just me. I’ve also never been a fan so there’s that.

15. himynameisdakota

Regular

I dig this album a lot. It’s heavy when it needs to be and catchy in all the right ways. It took me a minute to appreciate Transit Blues but this clicked instantly.

beachdude, 333 GANG and Nate_Johnson like this.
  16. VCargo08

One Last Light... Linkin Park's last album.

17. 333 GANG

ACAB

Okay this album fucking r i p s

18. Oops, totally misread that!

19. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Aside from a few tracks, this record isn’t holding up as well as I would have hoped. Hoping it clicks better with me after I see them on tour next Friday.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  20. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Same actually. Kinda weird feeling, I like the direction and yet only a few songs I come back to.

21. It was a slow burn for me as well but I love it I appreciate the back half of the album a ton

22. Mason

Regular

Im enjoying this album. I tend to skip over Numb, Isn't It Strange, and Diamond Lost though. Really hoping they play The Thread on this tour, that song is great.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  23. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Exactly. It’s really bumming me out since I was so stoked for this record. I preordered the vinyl (that’s been delayed lol) and even got VIP tickets for their tour...

Hopefully it grows on me.

24. azzy01

Regular

It's the opposite for me, I liked the album off the bat, but with each listen I've liked it more. It's also been their most memorable for me so far, random lines and melodies from it will pop into my head tthroughout the day.

25. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

The Thread is easily the best track on the whole record. I would also place Switchblade and Spiderhead up there too.

Numb and Diamond is whatever to me but I would like Strange a lot more if it didn’t include that “The doctor is running a few minutes late...”

It just comes off cheesy to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯