Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Devil Wears Prada - Color Decay (September 16, 2022) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Jun 7, 2022.

1. amorningofsleep Jun 7, 2022
    (Last edited: Jun 7, 2022)
    amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

[​IMG]

via Solid State

Preorder

Tracklisting:
    1. Exhibition
    2. Salt
    3. Watchtower
    4. Noise
    5. Broken
    6. Sacrifice
    7. Trapped
    8. Time
    9. Twenty-Five
    10. Fire
    11. Hallucinate
    12. Cancer

Nate_Johnson and tvck like this.
  2. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

3. HeckYeahMatt

Not Big Chungus

Numerous members are saying it’s their best since Dead Throne. stoked!!!

4. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

I think I'll always like their older stuff as I don't like Mike's new voice. I could be wrong, but I think I read it's because of strain on his voice and how he has to scream now to maintain it, so I get it, but the vocals just sound wrong and I hate to be rude, but just not good to me. If they came out with the same music, and these new screams on the old stuff I wouldn't be a fan. The last album was okay, and I think they worked to make the vocals fit better than previous releases so we'll see how this one is (songs show promise) but basically since the zombie EP, the screams have changed so much that they lost me for the most part.

Dead throne is the first album where the vocals really started to move towards the new tone.

AgonizingFir likes this.
  5. AgonizingFir

Currently Distracted Supporter

Sounds like this isn’t the thread for you then.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  6. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: these dudes are releasing their best material as of late.

I believe them when they say this is their best since Dead Throne. I got both the Exhibition variant and the exclusive Rock Sound Grey variant LETS GOOOOOOOO

7. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

It's a discussion board for all opinions (unless I missed the rules), and I like the new songs and think they are adapting to Mike's changed voice so maybe I'll be back on board. I was just expressing an opinion on how I've felt about the evolution of the band in that regard. I don't think I'm the only one who has been disappointed with the evolution of the screams.

And I just went back to the ZII EP and that has some decent stuff on it to and I kind of glossed over that album so maybe I'm being too harsh.

It also doesn't help that their live performance during the Act tour was pretty underwhelming, but again, we'll see how this next album goes and I may still go to their zombie tour.

AgonizingFir likes this.
  8. "Salt" is a great continuation of The Act's airier moments, but most of all I love how it takes elements from that whole anthemic/atmospheric almost alt-metal subgenre of metalcore, and put twists on it. The way it starts at 11 with that double bass driven drum beat, the fake out in the first chorus making the hook hit harder on the second and final ones... Sure it's a more conventional and melodic lead single but so many interesting things happen during those 3+ minutes.

9. AgonizingFir

First of all, I may have come in a little hard, was still waking up and dealing with an angry baby so apologies for that.

Anyway, your first post came across as a little more aggressive than your more recent one (something we have in common lol). Yes, Mike’s vocals have changed and become more…unique in the 10+ years since Dead Throne, but it’s almost entirely due to issues with his voice and health. I find it a bit unfair to treat those changes the same as the band choosing to change his voice for a stylistic choice (Trophy Eyes is a random example that comes to mind).

Additionally, Mike’s voice is only part of the bands overall sound and I feel like as a unit they have worked to produce a very impressive catalogue of work throughout the second half of their career while continuing to experiment. Discounting that simply cause the one of the vocalists isn't your cup of tea would be unfair to the rest of them.

To conclude, this is a discussion board and it was unfair of me to dismiss your opinion like that. Especially since I’m often annoyed by the lack of allowance for discussion I’ve seen in other threads. Stoked to see what the band has in store for us!

10. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

New song is cool, kinda lame the last two singles are on this. Bands gonna release half the album before it drops.

AgonizingFir likes this.
  11. ChampsMusic

Instagram.com/ChampsMusic

Star me

12. azzy01

Regular

I guess this is the "chemical" of this album, but improved. Either way, very excited for this, it's crazy to me how consistently good these guys have been. They're one of the few instances where a band from this scene lost most of their original members and got even better than when they began.

13. azzy01

Regular

They could get away with releasing only one more single (at the start of their tour in August) or even 2 more and that will be 5 out of 12 tracks released. I'm definitely going to limit how much I listen to Salt and gonna stop playing Watchtower and Sacrifice altogether.

14. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

While ultimately it's our choice to listen to them or not (it's so hard not to!) it is annoying when half the album is out early. I'd happily take less and let the anticipation creep in further but that probably only works for fans of the music vs bringing in new listeners.

It's all good man, I understand that what I said would come across as rude to a fan who has liked every entry and I'd be annoyed if one of my favorites got slighted that way (which is why I tried to rephrase it and actually go back and re-spin a few songs I didn't give a fair chance to). I will stand by my personal thoughts that I don't particularly enjoy the tone and pitch of the screaming in a lot of the newer tracks, but there are more hits than misses on the albums overall as far as quality songs go (including the new songs which I'd rank Watchtower / Salt / Sacrifice).

I don't really know any songs by Trophy Eyes except figure Eight which I love and have on my liked playlist but it popped up on the radio so I'm probably the opposite or your point there by liking a newer song that's a stylistic change.

15. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I would agree if it was a 10 song record (which is the norm these days) but with a 12 song record - I don’t mind. Plus they’re both bangers anyways!

AgonizingFir likes this.
  16. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Crisp X and AgonizingFir like this.
  17. AgonizingFir

I wasn’t sure if it was the best example but it was all I could think of lol. If you listen to Trophy Eyes’ first few releases you’ll understand. They went through a pretty significant sound change overall including a voluntary change in vocal style. Mike’s reasons for changing how he does his vocals is more out of necessity if that makes sense. All in all I get it, his new style is something that a lot of people struggle with but that’s the whole point of art being subjective.

18. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

let’s go bb

19. AgonizingFir

[​IMG]

20. tvck

Trusted

[​IMG]

21. AgonizingFir

Never been so excited for next Wednesday lol

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  22. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Music video is corny but the song is pretty great!

Crisp X likes this.
  23. 333 GANG

ACAB

Like all these new songs a lot

24. Another ripper. I'm getting Transit Blues vibes from the atmospheric sections.

WanderingSquall likes this.
  25. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

I was into the first couple albums from these guys and fell off after that, but I love all these songs. Need to go back through the catalog and see what I missed at some point.

WanderingSquall likes this.