Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dear Hunter Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Benjamin Lee, May 1, 2016.

1. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

yeah theres only a handful of moments in C&Cs story that really get to me, mainly the song Apollo I The Writing Writer with Inferno/Jesses spoken word and the sheer badass vibe that "tonight, im Burning Star IV" gives off. TDH does get me more, i think Caseys voice plays a big part in that for me. he just has such a strong vibratto and such an emotionally charged voice.

2. CoffeeEyes17

every time i hear "oh how ive been tithing in light of your misleading" in This Armistice im like "ayyyy miss leading has been here since day 1"

3. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Looks like they just repressed the short color spectrum for anyone who is interested. :)

4. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Man, this is so perfectly stated.

I know, and care, absolutely nothing about the story behind either C&C or TDH.

Yet, I consider Coheed one of my favorite bands, and I've never felt like I'm missing out when listening to their music.

With TDH, I'm more of a casual fan. And three of the five songs you mentioned are absolutely prime examples of why. I've been listening on-and-off to TDH since 2007 when Act II came out. And in all that time, I keep coming back to "The Delphi Express" as the track exemplifying why I can never just sit through an entire record of theirs without wanting to skip something. I remember getting to it my first time through Act II and thinking: "am I supposed to be enjoying this, purely as a music listener?" I'm just not a comic book or literature nerd; I want some type of genuine raw emotion or feeling to come through in whatever I'm listening to. With songs like DE, or honestly quite a few on Act V, I feel like the only people really enjoying them are eagerly thumbing through fan theories about the concept and trying to figure out what The Priest is going to do next.

Just makes me appreciate how Claudio can be screaming about living motorcycles and shit but the music is still awesome and feels natural.

5. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

i was pretty much in the same boat as you before the last 24 hours when ive really been delving into the story of TDH while listening through the discography. it really is rewarding and its not too complicated honestly. that is IF you want to try to enjoy those tracks more. i know that is daunting, and its 5 1/2 hours front to back with no breaks.

6. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

TDH has several great songs that deliver raw emotion and stand on their own, such as "Waves" and pretty much everything outside the Acts

7. Micah511

theres no question about that. but they definitely have "story songs", thats all i was saying.

8. felipecardel

i was responding to the comment above. i see how it might be hard to appreciate most of the songs on the Acts on their own when they're so intrically connected musically and lyrically, and i agree that many of the songs don't really come through unless you understand and appreciate the concept, but when i first listened to Act IV the story had been on pause for so long that i couldn't really connect that album with the rest in my mind (outside of the obvious callbacks), and i still enjoyed almost all of it purely for what it was on its own

9. christsizedshoes

Trusted

I agree. I'm not saying all the Acts tracks are hard to enjoy for a casual fan. I'm saying every Act has at least a handful like that, and sometimes they're grating to the point of ruining the album flow if you're just listening for the music (i.e., Delphi Express).

That's always been my frustration. There are songs I absolutely love on each Act record, but I'd sooner listen to a custom playlist of TDH (as opposed to one of their LPs straight through) than just about any other band I'm this interested in.

10. CoffeeEyes17

i think Delphi Express and all the Bitter Suites are real good examples of story context making the songs better, or at the very least more listenable. i get how someone would just want to turn their brain off and just groove to TDH and find that to be kinda difficult when certain songs are just so deep in the story or feel so plodding/boring even though story wise theyre crucial.

the good thing with TDH is they cover so many different styles and genres that even without story context a lot of the songs can still function on their own

Joe4th likes this.
  11. CoffeeEyes17

HATE THE SINNER NEVER HATE THE SIIIIIN

teebs41 and Joe4th like this.
  12. CoffeeEyes17

i wonder if Act VI is going to be, like, a "radio show" or something. i can picture there being actual dialogue in addition to music, we know that Hunters son is going to play a big role in it and basically redeem Hunter and "end the cycle" so to speak so maybe that will be a big part. shit maybe it will just be a movie or something.

13. Micah511

I kind of think it's a film of some sort. That's the best thing I can think of when it comes to it possibly being too grand for Casey to possibly complete it.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  14. CoffeeEyes17

one life for another
    one life for another
    one life for another
    one life for another

15. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Where was this banter when I was obsessed with this band last September! Haha

16. CoffeeEyes17

10 fav songs, 2 from each Act because im bored and listening to the Acts while playing through Dark Souls 1 again

City Escape
    The Procession
    Red Hands
    In Cauda Venenum
    The Tank
    The Squeaky Wheel
    If All Goes Well
    Cascade
    The March

17. Micah511

Battesimo
    City escape
    Red handed
    Dear ms leading
    In cauda
    Mustard gas
    A night on the town
    Wait

And I'm still familiarizing myself with the last one.

18. christsizedshoes

Trusted

II - Procession, Bitter Suite 1+2
    III - WIMTBA, The Tank
    IV - Old Haunt, Is There Anybody Here?
    V - Cascade, Gloria

TCS - Indigo and Violet are the highlights

Haven't listened to I in so long I can't comment.

19. CoffeeEyes17

i love how well the band captures the experience of being near a tank on "The Tank" with the super distorted vocals and those sharp, charging violins and pounding drums. Theres a lot of neat moments on Act III that give it an "Empire Strikes Back" sort of feel, like the stakes are larger the scope is wider and the themes are darker.

this is absolutely batshit of me to say since ive only JUST RECENTLY gotten into this band but.....ive been wanting a new tattoo......and the tree on Act IIIs art......would probably make a good one

20. Micah511

i think its cascade and the march for V. the march gets shooed in for having one of my favorite reprises, but cascade was hard to pick between the flame (is gone), the fire (remains), and the moon / awake.

21. Micah511

Im about to do a full 180 on this opinion in two days time. I think it might be my favorite Act. How do you have one run of songs as good as The Moon / Awake > Cascade > The Most Cursed of Hands / Who Am I, then finish on another run as spectacular as The Flame (is Gone) to A Beginning? I'm really going to miss the aesthetic around these Act albums.

22. felipecardel

I: 1878, His Hands Matched His Tongue
    II: Red Hands, Dear Ms. Leading
    III: In Cauda Venenum, The Thief
    IV: A Night on the Town, King of Swords
    V: Cascade, The Revival

23. Micah511

Crazy that Kevin Pereria from attack of the show paid for the symphony on IV and V since equal vision said they wouldn't pay for it.

24. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Whaaaaaat, that's wild haha

25. Quercus

Regular

I am the only one who actually likes The Oracles on the Delphi Express, even if we ignore the story aspect? I love the instrumental part between 1.35-2.40ish. Very groovy.

The only songs I feel are lacking on all the Acts are Remembered and Melpomene. While both clearly are beautiful songs, they lack that it moment. The part that just takes a song to the next level. A hook, a turn, a twist, a drum fill, a few notes on piano / guitar, a cresendo after a build-up, or whatever it may be, that almost all of their other songs have. They keep the same tone throughout and sort of just meander. Heck, even Go Get Your Gun is somewhat catchy.