Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dear Hunter Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Benjamin Lee, May 1, 2016.

1. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

There are people that only enjoy Migrant or TCS so I guess they'd be consider more "casual".

For me I'm just the kind of person that likes to dissect and understand whatever it is im going to spend time with, just look in the Dark Souls thread here on Chorus to see that lol. So given that I've read so much about The Acts and how long I've tried to get into them it's really, really rewarding for it all to finally click. I think I feel comfortable in saying the Acts are my favorite concept albums that tell a long, multiple album spanning story with Coheed and The Hold Steady not far behind.

Joe4th likes this.
  2. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

i take it back, i just relistened, its really good. i also just read an incredibly long post about what all these acts are about and oh boy, have i got a hole to go down. @CoffeeEyes17, Im also a huge coheed fanboy so im probably about to have the same experience as you.

teebs41, Joe4th and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  3. CoffeeEyes17

There's a lot of great resources about what the Acts storyline is, the timeline, little details ("Go Get Your Gun" is an old wartime barsong in the Acts universe for example) that make the experience an unforgettable one. Good luck

4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

The last album was really great actually. Super duper long, but really surprised me

5. Micah511

yeah the lengths of these albums is honestly more daunting than how many there are. ive been a casual fan since before act 2 came out (just checked and wow, 10 years ago, im old) but for some reason ive just never dove into the storyline, so i had no idea what was going on other than it being about a guy and a prostitute.

teebs41 likes this.
  6. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

If you listen to The 5 Acts straight through, with no breaks, it takes 5 hours and 21 minutes

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  7. christsizedshoes

Trusted

I'm kind of in that camp. At least, I thought IV was far superior to V, even though the fan consensus seems to be the opposite. "Gloria" is literally the only track from V that stood out enough that I can recall it now.

But then, I'm one of those rare casual fans of TDH who gives everything they release a listen, but don't consider them among my very favorite bands.

I think my Acts ranking would go IV > II > III > V > I.

8. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

i never really listened to the entire thing in one sitting, can't really dedicate myself this much to one artist. also the first three Acts have very little replay value to me now unfortunately

9. CoffeeEyes17

Listening to all 5 is wild just because there's soooooo many reprises it can feel surreal sometimes.

Joe4th and coleslawed like this.
  10. Micah511

Red handed - where the road parts - dear ms leading is the best 3 songs in a row in their discography and I'm afraid it's not even close.

11. felipecardel

definitely a strong stretch

other personal favorites:

The Moon - Cascade - The Most Cursed of Hands
    In Cauda Venenum - What It Means to Be Alone - The Tank
    The Bitter Suite 1 & 2 - The Bitter Suite 3 - Smiling Swine
    1878 - Pimp and the Priest - His Hands Matched His Tongue
    the Yellow EP

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  12. Elder Lightning Jun 27, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 27, 2017)
    Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Would consider myself a casual fan. TCS and Migrant are my faves, and there are select parts about the Acts I enjoy.

As for the last one, it sounded so much like IV I can't separate them in my head. The whole thing – a fucking 6-act musical!?!?!? – is so dense, I don't have time (or patience, mostly patience) to dive in and explore all of it.

13. felipecardel

i think it sounds pretty distinct from Act IV, it's a lot more somber and personal

14. christsizedshoes

Trusted

IV had this amazing cinematic, baroque pop feel to it that reminds me of Pet Sounds. It's really the only record of theirs I truly enjoy listening to front-to-back without feeling like skipping a few tracks.

Yeah, V is perhaps more somber; definitely less energetic, less prolific melodies, and has more of the super quirky tracks that I tend not to get into. (Although, skimming it for the first time in awhile, I forgot that "Cascade" is pretty badass).

15. atlas

Trusted

The intro melody in Cascade reminds me of something from a Zelda game. Idk but it's cool and one of their best songs

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  16. Micah511

alright wish me luck, im going through all of them today. currently halfway through Act II. i have a feeling act III will be my least favorite, but im hoping the story adds some depth to it that i didnt notice before.

coleslawed and Joe4th like this.
  17. Micah511

ugh, the chorus to a night on the town is so perfect.

Joe4th likes this.
  18. minty901

Hey now. Look at you. Way cool.

act v is one of the most perfect albums ever made

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  19. CoffeeEyes17

Act V has grown on me a lot. I firmly believe the story could end right here and I'd be satisfied with it, especially with how "A Beginning" closes with the same piano notes that end "City Escape" and the feeling that the Acts are cyclical.

20. Micah511

yeah i for sure misspoke earlier, i just didnt give it a chance. my initial thought was it sounded too similar to act IV, and that one was still fresh, and for such immersive albums i really wasnt ready for a new one so soon. listening to it now though, they are perfect light/dark complements to one another. hard to say which one is better, they are both so awesome.

teebs41 and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  21. CoffeeEyes17

i think the light/dark complements is a great way to view them. even the album arts kinda lend themselves to that dichotomy and with them being recorded at pretty much the same time it makes sense. Even little things like track 3 of both albums being "Waves" and "Cascade".

also while we're all here i think these albums can function as just albums and thats pretty impressive to me. like, yeah if you get the story that will definitely enrich the experience but i think, much like coheed, you can just enjoy these songs as songs with really poetic lyrics and catchy melodies and a fucking armies worth of instruments and musicians. Casey has firmly cemented himself as an all time favorite songwriter for me and im sad its taken me this long to jump on board

22. Micah511

i think TDH has more songs reliant on the story than coheed does. songs like delphi express, go get your gun, bitter suite IV and V, and mr usher are hard pills to swallow if you dont really understand whats going on in the story. i dont think coheed have that problem with any of their songs. but i think TDH do a better job of presenting the story through song, and once you do understand whats going on, it enhances the songs moreso than coheeds do when you know the story. does that make sense?

also Nic Newsham shouldve sung the parts for mr. usher. thats all.

christsizedshoes likes this.
  23. Micah511

also, related to the story, has anyone watched TURN? im noticing some similarities between the story. a brother dies in war, he goes home and marries his brother's fiance and has a kid with her even though he loves someone else. wife knows hes with the other woman too but turns a blind eye. pretty interesting.

24. CoffeeEyes17

yeah i agree theres definitely songs that are very very entrenched in the story but like you said TDH story is much less lucid and less obscure than Coheeds story is although theres definitely certain moments in Coheed songs that make no sense unless given the story context ("I need mayo!" being a prime example) but i definitely agree. i just frankly like TDHs story more.

25. Micah511

the TDH story pulls at my heartstrings more, i just feel so bad for him and ms leadings relationship, feel bad for his "wife" and his brothers mom, just bad stuff for everyone. Coheed is this grand scifi story but i dont really have much of an attachment to any characters. coheed and cambria killing their kids happens so early in the story its just kind of shock factor, not really a play on emotions.