Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dear Hunter Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Benjamin Lee, May 1, 2016.

1. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

Not that i see, just this thread and the article discussion when the album was announced.

2. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

So far, neither Act V songs have connected quite as strongly as Act IV ones, but I imagine I need to hear the whole album before I really make a judgement.

3. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Although I do like the new song, the only reason I'm excited for this album is so that they can finally move on from the Acts sound. It just doesn't feel fresh to me anymore and there was a ton of sounds on the color spectrum that I would love for them to explore.

contra11mundum and Letterbomb31 like this.
  4. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I prefer nearly every Act album to Migrant, so I'm nervous about them finishing up with the acts. Color spectrum was wonderful though.

I always have a hard time listening to singles from these albums though, they always work better in context.

5. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Migrant is probably my favorite album Casey has done. Act IV is close though. I think the massive theatrical thing is cool and all, but it does feel a little worn at this point. Like, I love every Act album, and I'm sure I'll love Act V too, but I could never listen to them all in order (even over the span of a few days) without getting really bored with it. I love how Casey toned things back a bit on Migrant, and really let the music breathe.

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  6. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

I love Migrant and I'm super surprised at the list I made back in June. I don't think I've ever thought Act II was better than III and I'd probably put Migrant above Act I too. Must have been in a weird mood. Migrant has its flaws, but its such an easy listen that I don't really care about them.

7. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Migrant is wonderful.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  8. Joe4th

Migrant is just too same-y sounding after a while, the whole thing really blends together for me.

9. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

That's how I feel about most of the Acts stuff. Haha

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  10. Trotsky

Trusted

Act II is by far their best work. Act IV is good. Color spectrum is good. Migrants is great imo. I never liked Act III.

Anywho. I'm seeing them in a couple weeks.

Best TDH songs:

1. Where the Road Parts (Act II)
    2. Waves (Act IV)
    3. Red Hands (Act II)
    4. Shouting at the Rain (Migrant)
    5. Smiling Swine (Act II)
    6. Whisper (Migrant)
    7. A Night on the Town (Act IV)
    8. The Line (Act IV)
    9. Black Sandy Beaches (Act II)
    10. His Hands Matched His Tongue (Act I)

11. Quercus

Regular

I used to think Act II was their best one, even after Act IV dropped. But going through the acts again in anticipation for Act V, I can't help but concede that IV is better than II. Act IV has the best vocals Casey has ever done. The production so unbelievably well done, like something you'd find on a Floyd record. Heck, the song Is There Anybody Here? is amazingly Floydian, but in a totally The Dear Hunter kind of way. It's so mature and confident compared to Act II (and the rest of them for that matter). Everything is so meticulous, even more so than the earlier albums. It constantly blows me away when I keep finding different little musical gems each listen.

I think Act IV (and V) will hold up so much better in years to come. It's one of those ageless records. The ones were you might not necessarily love, or even like, the musical style in some of the songs, but you'll still go 'damn, this is beautifully well made.' It demands your respect.

Transient_Hymn likes this.
  12. minty901

Hey now. Look at you. Way cool.

Surprised no leak yet. I can't wait for this.

13. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Has anyone checked out the new dear hunter podcast about the acts yet? This week was act one

14. minty901

yeah i really enjoyed it. felt it let us get to know casey a little more personally which was nice.

teebs41 likes this.
  15. minty901 Sep 7, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 7, 2016)
    minty901

[​IMG]

Edit: OK the leak I found wasn't good, there are short gaps in-between each song. That's a real deal-breaker especially for this band, as we all know. Not recommended. Still, only a couple of days to wait.

16. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Act IV is their best, with Act II coming in a close second. But I've been listening to this band for almost a decade and every release is roughly the same: I love 30-40% of the songs, like another 20-30%, and just don't care much for the last 20-30%. I don't consider myself a hardcore fan by any means, but they're intriguing enough that I'll keep following them until the end.

Casey's songwriting is such a grab bag of styles that I think everyone takes something different from the band. For example, half of Trotsky's top 10 list are songs I haven't even bothered listening to more than twice because I found them so boring. Personally, I almost always gravitate toward the big anthems and rockers, and get bored to tears by the folksy side. On TCS, I adore Black, Indigo and Violet, while I could go the rest of my life without hearing Green/Blue/Yellow.

Anyhow, I wasn't blown away by the two lead singles from Act V, but I'm sure there will be some gems given they came from the same sessions as IV. The production from this era really is top notch, and the unfettered melodic adventurousness of IV really suits his style.

17. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Will act 5 stream today??

I'm going through acts 1-4 now and am being blown away by the project all over again

18. Dog with a Blog

teebs41 likes this.
  19. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

CoffeeEyes17 and teebs41 like this.
  20. atlas

Trusted

ugggh I don't want to spend anymore money but this is SO tempting

21. Quercus

Regular

22. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

im really happy that ive finally gotten into this band as hard as i have. i listened to all 5 Acts, BTHATS, and Migrant yesterday and it was spiritual i have ascended to a higher plane of thinking

Joe4th likes this.
  23. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

was i the only one that thought their last album was incredibly boring? dont remember a single thing about it.

24. Joe4th

It's not my favorite but I still thought it was very good

25. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

weird how there are basically no casual fans, this band is either incredible or boring to people