Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dear Hunter - Act V: Hymns With The Devil In Confessional (September 9, 2016) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Jun 22, 2016.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

whisper was huge but nothing else on that record came close to that

2. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Yeah, and honestly, even "Whisper" felt like the fifth iteration of the "anthem with huge chorus" template they'd used before ("Lost But Not All Gone," "Lillian," "What It Means To Be Alone," etc.) and not even the best one at that.

3. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I'm not even the biggest fan but this guy's musical output blows me away. And "Gloria" is a hell of a jam.

Most artists this prolific get a bigger amount of relevant attention; not necessarily mainstream but at least somewhere - what gives here?

4. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Yeah, even though TDH probably isn't even in my top 25 personal favorites, I still think he deserves a lot more success after a decade of staggering volumes of high-quality output.

5. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

It's a shame that Reddit is a better source for talking about the story than this site

6. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Act II is easily the worst Dear Hunter album. I realize it's the "fan favorite", but I have a hard time even making it through that one. Right now my favorite is a three way tie between Migrant, and Act's IV and V. Though, I think I give Migrant a bit of an edge over those two based on personal connection.

7. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

Act IV debuted inside the top 40 selling like 7k albums. i'm sure that's easily more than what the rest of the Equal Vision roster can manage. they do get attention, just not around here. Sputnik loves them

8. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

What a weirdly condescending post

Joe4th likes this.
  9. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I just mean there are more people interested in talking about what's happening and whatnot.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  10. CoffeeEyes17

Ahhh ok, that makes sense. I was like "whoa Teebs is never like this?" Haha. My bad my friend

teebs41 likes this.
  11. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Could have said it a lot nicer or not at all. I'm just in a bad mood bc my house has no power and the damages are costly lol.

12. CoffeeEyes17

No no you're fine I just misread. Holy shit I'm sorry. I hope that gets resolved quickly and easily

teebs41 likes this.
  13. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Cascade is so good

14. minty901

Hey now. Look at you. Way cool.

Album is a masterpiece.

teebs41 likes this.
  15. Quercus Sep 14, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 14, 2016)
    Quercus

Regular

I feel like that's a bit disingenuous considering there's so many different styles of music on IV and even more in their entire discography. What kind of music isn't that you don't like exactly? Is it the theatrical aspect to it?

16. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

"The Most Cursed Hands" reminds me so much of The Decemberists' "Hazards of Love"

17. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

The fire to blood is probably the best stretch in their entire discography

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  18. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

I think I'm just over the Acts.

19. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I'm the opposite, I'm nervous to see what's next for the band after the acts now. I loved the color spectrum, but Migrant is just okay.

teebs41 likes this.
  20. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I enjoy the Acts, but I would honestly prefer Casey make more non-conceptual albums like Migrant moving forward.

I'm gonna do it: Migrant > Act IV = Act V > Color Spectrum > Act III > Act I > Act II

21. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

I am so excited for him to do more albums like Migrant. So underrated.

teebs41 likes this.
  22. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

He said recently (don't remember where) that he has more concepts he plans to do. Kind of seems like he'll keep doing concepts, just non-Acts ones. I hope he has more Migrants coming though.

23. christsizedshoes

Trusted

I really couldn't care less what story arc (if any) the next record falls under; I never pay that any attention, regardless. Has Casey specifically stated that the Act records are constrained musically and not just lyrically? That had never really crossed my mind. Acts IV-V didn't strike me as jolting back to the Act II-III era musically, when compared with TCS and Migrant.

I do hope the music is more interesting than it was on Migrant, though. A new batch of Indigo-like material would be a godsend. That EP was phenomenal, but then you never really heard its influence at all on subsequent releases.

24. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Man, The Final Act tour is very Act V heavy. Very excited for my show on October 7th. Get to take my girlfriend too. :)

25. Steven Suarez

It's finally on Spotify!

teebs41 likes this.