Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dear Hunter - Act V: Hymns With The Devil In Confessional (September 9, 2016) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Vinyl doesn't release until the 23rd.

2. minty901

Hey now. Look at you. Way cool.

thanks for clarifying. guess i misremembered or misheard what he said in the Q and A

3. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

beachdude42, KalValor and Joe4th like this.
  4. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

After my first listen just now, I don't really know how I feel about the album. I'm worried myself currently going through a bad time in life might be the cause though; so I don't want to listen again until things have been worked through so as to avoid the risk of ruining the album for me due to giving it a negative connection to now.

5. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Sorry to hear that, hope things turn around'

6. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Yeah. I will say though, that final track sounded like a perfect end to the Act's albums. I don't think anything stuck out quite as much as Waves and Wait did for me on IV though (yet at least).

7. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

The March is soooo good

teebs41 likes this.
  8. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

The flame is gone the fire remains is incredible. but yea idk i prefer this darker tone to Act IV but act IV was my favorite and now I think this one is ha

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  9. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Dang, hopefully it will grow on me then. Will probably try and listen again when I go visit my girlfriend next week (she's about an hour and fifteen minute drive away, so kind of the perfect length for the album even).

10. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

the third listen is when I was like WOW every song is incredible

Transient_Hymn likes this.
  11. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Still haven't gotten the chance to listen to all of this yet, and I still want to finish listening to the other Acts in full first, but I put on the pre-release songs randomly to get a taste of the sound and "Light" absolutely crushed me. Fuck...

12. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

6 songs in...so far really good

teebs41 likes this.
  13. christsizedshoes

Trusted

The Moon/Awake, Cascade, Melpomene, and Gloria are all instant pleasers on first listen. I'm sure more will grow on me.

Act IV is my favorite, and my first impressions are that this will rank behind it somewhere, but solid stuff nonetheless.

Joe4th and teebs41 like this.
  14. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Does anyone know who he is singing alongside in The Haves Have Naught?

teebs41 likes this.
  15. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

This is ok I guess

16. felipecardel Sep 9, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 9, 2016)
    felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

i am being reborn as i listen to this

17. Jakob Allen

Trusted

Gavin Castleton

Transient_Hymn likes this.
  18. Quercus

Regular

I'm assuming you mean The Fire (Remains) since it's track number 12, but the description sounds sort of like The Flame (Is Gone) which I think could have made it on to Fire EP.

Speaking of Thrice, I thought the chorus of Blood sounds like something straight off TBEITBN. Even the singing give me serious Dustin vibes, in a totally good way.

teebs41 likes this.
  19. CoffeeEyes17

Im going to set aside some time and just listen to all 5 of these and see where it goes. For the most part I dont like a lot of the music on these albums BUT im willing to revisit them because I feel like theres SOMETHING here for me.

coleslawed and Joe4th like this.
  20. Jose

weightless in the valley

I've heard about The Dear Hunter a lot. Guess it's time to go through Acts I-IV before checking this out.

21. CoffeeEyes17

I cant remember who, but someone recommended them to me based on the premise that it a progressive rock concept story (since I'm a HUGE coheed & cambria fan this sounded really appealing) but every time ive given this band a shot ive just been bored and confused. Casey has a great voice but I just dont care for the music nor the lyrics to these albums.

but im hoping my runthrough of I-V will change that

22. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

It's just genius really. Like when you see how everything connects it will blow your mind. The fact that there are things that were foreshadowed in act 1 that come out in act v is insane to me. I recommend listening with the lake and river website along with the lyrics. So read the song description on the lakeandriver.com and then read along with the lyrics.. If you need me to send you the actual link to the story let me know.

23. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

When can I spend $300 on a kickass vinyl box set of all the acts with a companion graphic novel or some shit ? Kickstarter make it so !

beachdude42, coleslawed and teebs41 like this.
  24. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

i think musically there's something for everyone no matter what the taste, but you won't appreciate a full album if you don't buy the concept.

i read a ton of complaints about the over the top theatrics and the self-indulgent lyrics, and they definitely are like that a lot of the time. i personally think Casey's way of reworking aspects of past songs into new ones to tie the story up is amazing ("The March" from this album is a prime example, "A Night on the Town" from Act IV should be the best one though), but some think it's lazy or unnecessary.

band's definitely not for everyone, but everyone should at least give it a shot - starting with the way more personal Act I. if you get to Act II and still don't like it, then you won't like the rest. that's not saying you won't be able to find enjoyment in a few separate songs, though

25. CoffeeEyes17

yeah ive done all that and still nothing. i love a good callback and reprise, again im a big C&C fan and they do that constantly, but yeah as said above self indulgent and too theatrical are a good way to describe this bands music to me.

we'll see how it goes. tomorrow at work ill have plenty of time to listen to all 5