Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dear Hunter - Act V: Hymns With The Devil In Confessional (September 9, 2016) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Jun 22, 2016.

1. amorningofsleep Jun 22, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 21, 2016)
    amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

[​IMG]

via Equal Vision Records

Purchase

Tracklisting:
    1. Regress
    2. The Moon / Awake
    3. Cascade
    4. The Most Cursed of Hands / Who Am I
    5. The Revival
    6. Melpomene
    7. Mr. Usher (on His Way to Town)
    8. The Haves Have Naught
    9. Light
    10. Gloria
    11. The Flame (Is Gone)
    12. The Fire (Remains)
    13. The March
    14. Blood
    15. A Beginning

2. amorningofsleep

"Gloria" is also already up for streaming on Spotify.

beachdude42 and teebs41 like this.
  3. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

That was quick

Chase Tremaine and beachdude42 like this.
  4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Cover art is beautiful, it's insane how quickly this is coming after IV and with 15 tracks, haha. Dude is a machine

Chase Tremaine and teebs41 like this.
  5. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

Can't believe this dude has written 3 albums since I started working on my rock opera.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  6. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

They were written and recorded in the same time-frame he said in his letter on there website.

7. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Wow Gloria sounds great

8. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I would kill for a whole record from him with this sound.

KalValor and Chase Tremaine like this.
  9. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

that letter is very very interesting. the note about act VI is intriguing

In January of 2015, I shared an image with my friends on Instagram of a book of sheet music. This music, prepared with the help of Brian Adam McCune (who also added additional orchestration) was being tracked at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley, CA with the amazing Awesöme Orchestra, lead by David Möschler (conductor).

The image, at the time, had the title blurred out. I’ve never been a fan of talking something up before it’s finished… before I even know if I want people to hear it. There is such a large trend with artists to discuss their future creation at length - to promise the best work of their career; a return to form; etc… It seems, more often than not, that these promises rarely deliver, and serve more as morale boosters for the artists themselves.

I would be lying if I didn’t admit that I enjoy the opposite. While I am not an elusive, or mysterious person - I do enjoy the mystery, and elusion… and since it seems a rare occurrence that the matter makes good on the mystery - I steep in that realm for as long as I can.

I’ve fielded many questions. I’ve told many lies. Every inquiry met with dismissal… Every ‘What are you guys doing next?’ met with a ‘Really? Act IV just came out… less than a year ago! Don’t I deserve some time off?’… Some of my acidity may have been rooted in some authentic anxiety… in all reality, it had only been 8 months…

Getting back to the image… Here is the original, blurred photo from instagram:

[​IMG]

… And here is the Orchestral Score, untreated:

[​IMG]

So, with that image, I would like to announce Act V. These two albums, Act IV and V, were written and recorded much in the same time frame- though each album retains its own unique identity, tone, and experience.

Act V, however, will be the final ‘rock’ record in the Act series. This may read as though I am abandoning the project, one record early - but the truth is simply that in knowing what Act VI means to the series, and what its story has to say - presenting it in the same form as Acts I-V would be short selling the creative opportunity it presents.

It isn’t always easy to find the balance between personal creative fulfillment, and the fulfillment of our fans/friends - especially when you’ve spent more than a decade of your life pursuing one path… and though my personal path has been, at times, far more tangential than the paths I see so many artists walking - I still find myself pushing for new, and exciting ideas… It is that same gut instinct that has lead me through the Acts, the Color Spectrum, Migrant, and Amour & Attrition… and as always, I need to trust that instinct.

In the foreseeable future, this means to recognize the box that The Dear Hunter has lived in, and blow the box up. This doesn’t mean more than it says. This band is not ending… I am not quitting… This is nothing more than vocalizing the desire for fresh air after what I believe has been the busiest, and most obsessive, two years of my life.

So - to commemorate this moment in both my, and the band’s creative history, we are setting out this September on what I am calling ‘The Final Act Tour’… Does it sound grim? Possibly… Is it? No. This is a celebration of everything that has brought me to this point… a celebration for every person who ever toiled over the meaning of a verse; the placement of an illustration; the name of a song; the point of view the lyrics maintain… This tour is for all of you, and we couldn’t be more excited to see you.

In addition to the tour, we will also be having ‘Story Time with Casey’, and while that sounds like the setup for a late night cartoon, it’s really an opportunity to get together, meet face to face, and discuss the larger world that exists in the records - be it the story or the music.

In summation - I need to stress something to you all…The single greatest responsibility I have is my commitment to creativity. The task of remaining true and authentic is not something I take lightly, and I may have imploded long ago, if not for the incredible and endless support I receive daily from fans, friends, and family… I am humbled, and grateful to have you all in my life - and I am incredibly excited for the remainder of this year.

Act V: Hymns with the Devil in Confessional will be released this September on Cave & Canary Goods / Equal Vision Records.

10. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I'm pretty sure everything is coming out 9/9.

Really excited to hear this! Act IV is my favorite by them, so if this was recorded in the same time frame, I bet it's going to be similarly great.

11. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Thanks, just went and read the whole note, super interesting stuff

12. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

He has my attention

13. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

"Gloria" is phenomenal! This is the push I need to finally listen to this project's whole discography in order... still haven't heard all the Acts.

14. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Musically it reminds me of circa survive in the beginning and then it kind of goes to the typical dear hunter sound but I really like it

15. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Holy fuck, didn't expect this!

16. I love Act I and really like most of Act IV, I'm still mixed on II & III. But I hold Act I in as high of regard as I do Color Spectrum and Migrant

beachdude42 likes this.
  17. rock opera?? That's pretty awesome though!

18. amorningofsleep

19. Lindsay M

drunk on the radio waves

I just got into the Dear Hunter this past year and there's so much to explore that it's overwhelming. But I am SO excited for this and hoping to catch him on tour.

teebs41 and Chase Tremaine like this.
  20. I've been a fan since the very beginning and the discography is still overwhelming to me

21. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Gloria is really good. I don't think I listened to Act IV as much as I should have, perhaps time to get back on that.

teebs41 and Chase Tremaine like this.
  22. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

i'm still giggling like a psychopath over here. would've expected this to come out in like 2018. life is good

teebs41 likes this.
  23. KalValor

Regular

I am so ready for this. Act IV was incredible.

24. devenstonow

Noobie

Disappointed, but cool.

25. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Saw him a month or two ago and it was great. Excited for some finality to these acts stories and hopeful for what comes after.