Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Data and God Are Raging Inside Me

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Gwilym Lockwood has attempted to look at the Spotify data and map out Brand New’s music over the years:

My clustering algorithm identified three main types of Brand New songs:

1: “Hard and upbeat” (Loud, high energy, more dancey, higher valence)
    2: “Soft and quiet” (Acoustic, low energy, quiet)
    3: “Hard and intense” (Loud, high energy, less dancey, lower valence)

Your Favorite Weapon has a lot of type 1 songs (e.g. Seventy Times 7), while Devil and God has a lot of type 3 songs (e.g. You Won’t Know). Science Fiction has an even spread of all three. Hover over the points for more information, and click the cluster guide or the points to highlight the data across the graphs.

There’s some pretty interesting stuff to play around with here.

mercury, js977, musicfan9795 and 2 others like this.
  2. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Neat.

fenway89 likes this.
  3. CyberInferno Sep 15, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 15, 2017)
    CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Your puns are on point lately, sir.

EDIT: Actually relevant comment: I don't particularly think the description of these categories fit with the songs particularly well regarding Science Fiction. The album has grown on me from my first spins, but this album is very mellow as a whole. I certainly wouldn't classify 2/3 of the songs as "loud, high energy" which two of these categories use. Does "Waste" strike you as "'Hard and upbeat' (Loud, high energy, more dancey, higher valence)"? Or "In The Water" as "'Hard and intense' (Loud, high energy, less dancey, lower valence)"

supernovagirl and DejaMoi like this.
  4. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

I hope the content is as cool as the headline.

fenway89 and truelovewaits like this.
  5. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious

This is pretty fucking cool

6. adleon18

This is really cool and I am sure it took some work. I really like the part of the "Song typicality", it made me realize that I am more of a non-typical Brand New song type of person. Kudos to the creator!

7. EarthShifts

Trusted

Love this. The main part of my job involves building dashboards with Tableau, and I always love to see what people are doing on their own time in Tableau Public.

8. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I had an old concept for objective album reviews that was similar to this, basically identifying the types of songs on an album, so if you like a certain energy you'll have a better idea whether or not you'll like an album. Maybe I should learn tableau and get on this.

NationalPhenomenon and mercury like this.
  9. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

In my head deja is primarily an acoustic album. Guess not lol

musicfan9795 and AshlandATeam like this.
  10. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

I like that they've addressed some data issues; I would hardly classify Jesus Christ as a "hard and upbeat" song, for example.

11. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Thanks for pointing this out. Going to check it out again. Glad I'm not the only one who was really scratching my head at the original categories.