Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! This is our yearly pitch about becoming a supporting member. If 90 people sign up we'll hit our yearly goals. It's basically 7 cents a day and you can get rid of all the shitty ads on the forum.

The Dark Tower (Nikolaj Arcel, Aug. 4th, 2017) Movie • Page 9

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Garrett L., May 16, 2016.

1. Your Milkshake

Trusted Prestigious

I know it's rational to us but to execs it's like why put out something that audiences didn't come out for. Half or more of the people who would finance it or be involved with making it probably walk from the idea right there.

Idk how far along the series production is or if it's confirmed or in talks etc.

2. Dog with a Blog

mangeur de cul Prestigious

The source material is gold but the best part of The Dark Tower is the journey. It's a slow burn and this film as no patience and therefore no impact. the Dutch Hill Mansion for instance had so much purpose in the books. Here, it's just dumb and like 15 minutes into the movie

3. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

They just brought on the former showrunner of The Walking Dead to run it. It's definitely happening.

4. Dog with a Blog

Frank D? That's interesting.

5. tucah

not champ Prestigious

6. Dog with a Blog

O

7. Your Milkshake

Trusted Prestigious

Well cool. I'm interested. Seems a good fit. Always saw people praise these books to death but I still don't know anything about them.

8. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I've only read the first couple books in this series but I'm disappointed that it sounds like this actually is as bad as the trailers made it look. I was still trying to hold out hope that maybe just the trailers were bad but the movie was decent. Some of the stuff I am reading about this is pretty abysmal.

A straightforward adaption of The Gunslinger book with this cast could have been done and kept the budget modest. It seems perfect. Feels like a huge missed opportunity.

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  9. Dog with a Blog Aug 3, 2017
    (Last edited: Aug 3, 2017)
    Dog with a Blog

Calling this a sequel was imo just a guise so they can do whatever they want with the source material which, in theory, could be fine but they lose sight of what these stories are about and more importantly, who these characters are and what they're about.

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed"

It's simple, it's exciting, and it's mysterious. This movie could easily be a slow, meditative piece with bits of cool/brutal action but it's just a forgettable summer blockbuster.

Night Channels and Garrett L. like this.
  10. Dog with a Blog

11. Dog with a Blog

Ok, sorry I'm posting a lot, but I honestly cannot articulate just how terrible this movie is. Remember in The Gunslinger the book ends with a long existential conversation? This one ends with Roland shooting a bullet, then shooting another bullet at that bullet to have it ricochet and hit the Man in Black in the chest.
    I will say though, in a better movie, Idris Elba would make a fucking badass Roland.

12. Night Channels

Adams 2020

This was so awful.

13. Transient_Hymn

Keep the Rubber Side Down Supporter

14. Dog with a Blog

If you're a fan of the books I say pay $5 just so you can marvel at how much they bastardized this story. If you haven't read the books it's a hard pass.

15. Dog with a Blog

That AMA was a joke

Night Channels likes this.
  16. Night Channels

Adams 2020

This might be the Battlefield Earth of this decade.

17. Transient_Hymn

Keep the Rubber Side Down Supporter

OH MY GOD
    That is a hot take.

Will report and confirm next Tuesday

18. Night Channels

Adams 2020

I mean there are definitely some films that have been worse than this, but the way the source material was just shit on with this just makes it suck so much more for me.

19. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

If this movie is as bad as literally every single thing that I am reading about it would indicate, I honestly don't want them to try to salvage this whole debacle with a tv show covering later books in the series. The only thing to hope for is to scrap the entire endeavor altogether and hope that after some time passes a completely different creative team will take a crack at it and hopefully start with the first book, The Gunslinger. They don't even wait that long these days to reboot stuff.

I know the entire series is considered by many to be King's magnum opus, but the first book is just so good and it honestly stands alone on its own pretty well. I've read it a handful of times but only tried to get into the rest of the story once and only made it through a few of the books. A straight adaption of the first book would be incredible.

coleslawed and Bloodsucker II like this.
  20. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Ugh... I guess I'll wait til Tuesday for this

21. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I think at this point I'm just gonna pass on seeing this in theaters entirely

22. Garrett L.

Moderator Moderator

I hope this hits our $2.50 theater fast

23. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

The trailers gave me a bad feeling about this from the getgo. Damn shame.

24. Night Channels

Adams 2020

Hopefully Muschietti gets It right because I don't know if I can take another King dumpster fire.

25. I Am Mick

I AM GRAVE BUG Prestigious

I haven't read the books, but this was terrible. Felt like another YA Divergent-esque franchise. The end fight is suppperrrr dumb

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! This is our yearly pitch about becoming a supporting member. If 90 people sign up we'll hit our yearly goals. It's basically 7 cents a day and you can get rid of all the shitty ads on the forum.