Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dark Tower (Nikolaj Arcel, Aug. 4th, 2017) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Garrett, May 16, 2016.

1. Dog with a Blog

Haha, that's hilarious. Wow. I didn't notice at all.

2. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I'm into this. gonna finally finish the series over the summer, hopefully.

3. Dog with a Blog

Tbh, I wish someone like Dennis Villanueve helmed this project. He seems to have enough agency that he can basically do whatever he wants. Judging from the trailer, this movie looks like it needs some restraint and I think that's something he could provide.

Kellan likes this.
  4. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Bummer

5. Dog with a Blog

Wwuuuuuuutttt

Well, hopefully it's a kick ass 85 minutes but uh, we'll see

6. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Man the odds are really against this one

7. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

The first book is also super short-to the point it doesn't even classify as a novel-and doesn't affect its quality.

8. Dog with a Blog

Sure, but this isn't an adaptation of the first book

9. Garrett

It has the Gunslinger, the man in black, Jake, and what could very easily be Tull. May not be a direct adaptation, but seemed pretty clear that was the base of this story. Especially knowing the cyclical nature/existence as a sequel of the source material.

Don't act like it's not out of the question. Just trying to inject some positivity into a thread that's been ready to write this off without seeing anything for almost a year now.

10. Dog with a Blog

I'm just saying, they have directly stated that it's not a direct adaptation of the Gunslinger and considering the fact that they appear to spend a decent amount of time in our world, it just seems like a lot to pack into an hour and a half. It's troubling, is all. I'm not going to pretend it's not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: I am totally fine with them changing this story, I understand it's a sequel. But even so, it's a lot of story to tell. My main concern is whether or not they get the characters right.

11. tucah

not champ Prestigious

It should be noted that in some response tweets he shows that he thinks it's 85 minutes long because that's what Google tells you (and Google is very, very frequently wrong on that front). Don't read too much into it yet.

coleslawed and TJ Wells like this.
  12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

[​IMG]

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

14. Dog with a Blog

I know this isn't a direct adaptation but the first book literally ends with like a long drawn out existential conversation that sets the course for the rest of the books. I wonder if they'll get into that at all.

15. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

16. Dog with a Blog

Legitimately do not know how you can make this series without it being rated R but sure

17. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Slowly coming to terms with the fact that this movie is going to be bad

18. Dog with a Blog

19. Garrett

I haven't really had any issues with the movie up to this point and his answers and love of the source material confirms that.

coleslawed likes this.
  20. Dog with a Blog

I just can't seem to get over the fact that this is pg-13

21. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah the pg-13 sucks but it doesn't necessarily mean that the entire series has to be so. And his answers really did make me more excited for the movie again.

coleslawed likes this.
  22. Garrett

With the exception of language (all King novels) and that one Stonehenge scene (trying to be vague), The Gunslinger is really only Pg-13 level the majority of the time. So it's not that surprising.

coleslawed likes this.
  23. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like the chance of Arcel getting to do more with this series, and really get into the meat of it, will depend entirely on the box office. It's going up against Detroit.

24. Dog with a Blog

The Stonehenge scene is the first thing that came to mind. I dunno, these books are pretty damn violent and grim. Just look at Tull, or the battle in Wolves. I just want them to capture the essence of the world properly. I guess we'll find out in two weeks!

25. Dog with a Blog

It's real.

IMG_3497.JPG

coleslawed and Joe like this.